prop shop

6balls

• Baller

Is there a really good prop shop that can listen to what is going on with a particular boat, hear about what prop is on there, then make some recommendations? My nephew feels like his carb-powered Sport Nautique is anemic on power but the motor should have plenty. Not sure what prop on there currently but I'm sure he can get that info. Anyplace I should steer him for good recommendations on a change to enliven his boat?

THX

• Baller

I'm an OJ props fan, you can call or email Eric, the owner, and he'll do exactly what you're asking. Of course, need to know what's on there now. A new CNC prop can really make old boats come alive.

If the boat suddenly started to feel anemic, I'd check compression, ignition timing, perhaps manifold vacuum at idle, and so on, as something could have gone south.

• Baller

OJ props. I upgraded to a new CNC Eric recommended and it was a huge improvement. Agree with @Mastercrafter he should check those items first. I would suspect ignition parts either worn out or dirty/corroded. Spark plugs are a wear item. If they are old they can be working seemingly ok at idle but providing weak or miss fire at RPM's. If he does a spark test and sees anything other than a crisp blue spark at the spark plug, there is an issue with the ignition.

• Baller

I think it has a pretty recent, fresh tune-up but will check with him. Actually will link him this post later today thanks for the advice thus far and any in the future.

He runs buoys at a club, but has an open bow sport nautique with a tower for the family on the big lake.

• Baller

Go over to, or have your friend go over to CorrectCraftFan. There is a member there "TRBenj" who is a prop whiz. Has access to a gazillion different boats and a gazillion different props and has done a million trial and errors with various boats and props and knows a lot about what subtle changes will have what results and what props are best for what boats based on desired performance. (with ski boats - no interest in wake barges)

• Baller
Sorry you had a bad experience with TRBenj in purchasing a used item. I'm friends with the guy and it seems unlike him to do a fellow Nauti owner bad. He's a motorhead, has a Barefooter than he's restrung using composite naterials dropped a big bored motor in it that'll do mid 60's on the water. Back on topic he is the prop Guru when it comes to Nautiques and probably other brands and the first guy I'd call or recommend to someone looking to upgrade their prop. As mentioned above by 75Tique. TRBenj KNOWS props. @6balls ...what year is your nephews Sport Nautique. My guess is that its got a 1:23 Tranny and a ACME 422 might be the prop for that boat BUT I'd search Planet Nautique or CCFan for a definate answer or response.