*When* to do ski school

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

Pending some budgetary wrangling, I plan to do my first-ever ski school this summer. I know people say to do ski school at the beginning of the season, but does that mean literally start your season there?

My inclination is that I should get in maybe 3 weeks of skiing first to knock the rust off and get back into ski shape. So far this offseason I've been exercising fairly regularly, but more cardio than strength, and I don't feel like I could show up cold and power through 3 sets a day for 3-5 days in a row (or at least not "get my money's worth" from the coaching cause my body would be toast).

• Baller

I think the “get warmed up at home” idea is best bang for your buck. Trying to regain ski muscle paying $60 per set and being super sore after the first day isn’t real fun. Spring of 2021 I skied about 15 outings before heading south for some coaching.

I’ve been keeping super active this winter with both cardio (running and cycling) and strength+conditioning, (Flowpoint Method) so I’m hoping that will help the first few days.

• Baller

My experience.

Be able to ski 8 passes without being winded before going to ski school. You might still be sore.

Don't feel like you need to ski 2-3 sets or more per day just because you can. 1 or 2 short sets is probably best.

I alternate 1 & 2 set days over the course of a week to be sure I don't ski beyond my physical limits.

GOOD coaching is the best money you can spend in this sport

Have fun!

• Baller
Best to be in good ski shape when you go. One of fav’ vaca’ ever was 5 days at ski school - 1 or 2 sets each morning, then off exploring the surrounding area with the fam’ after lunch, great dinner, sleep, repeat.

• Baller

Yeah get in ski shape first--cardio/muscles/hands. The only screwball I know that didn't need to do that and would be challenging 38 on his first down south in the middle of Minnesota winter set was @razorskier1--freak of nature.

Where ya gonna go? Got a school picked out?

• Baller

For sure get in ski shape by skiing a few weeks first before going to ski school.

I went down to Chet's 3 years ago (I was 65 at that time) in late spring.

I had not skied all winter and only had done cardio and weight workouts during the winter.

You get 8 passes per set at Chet's.

By the third day at Chet's I could just barley do a deep water start much less run a full pass in the course.

Spent last three days at Chet's just doing gates 1 and 2 balls and only able to do 4 to 6 passes due to that was all I had in me.

But I am an old man so a younger person in really good shape might could pull it off.

Hope your time at ski school goes well.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Administrators
All you guys are saying don't ski too much ski school ???! it's not about getting a ton of rides. it's about learning something. there's no point in paying for elite coaching if you're exhausted.

• Baller_

Who skis three sets a day? Two six pass sets or one eight pass set should be tops for just about any adult over 40 that wants to ski every day early in the season. Once fatigue hits, your form starts to suffer and once your form is suffering, you are wasting your time and money.

Lpskier

• Baller

I think there are three types of strategies to this. 1. Get a few sets under your belt before going to ski school so you have some muscle memory. Think more of “awaken those unused muscles”. 2. Go “cold” and establish a good baseline of coaching. Your first two passes may be a bust, but your muscle memory will kick in fairly quickly and you’ll feel more comfortable on the third pass. Then the coaching you receive becomes the foundation of your skiing for the rest of the season. 3. Skiing for two to three weeks before you get coaching. This option, while helping you get in ski shape may hinder your ability to apply the coaching you get because you have engrained your muscle memory to your “old” habits.

Depending on how good of shape you are in before you ski should help you determine how sore you will be. If you are in good shape, make sure you get in pull-up shape to help your hands and lat muscles. (This has greatly helped me). Bring a roller and do a lot of stretching before/after you ski and that will greatly reduce your soreness.

As with every opinion/option you know “you” best. No matter what, some coaching is well worth the money and will pay dividends to your skiing this season.

• Baller

I prefer to go early in the season if possible, but have gone in cold during winter when we are shutdown in the north and that was still worth it.

The key is finding a coach that works for you and then continue to back so you get consistency with the coaching you receive.

My goal in getting coaching in the Spring is to get the next several things to work on over the upcoming ski season.

• Baller
"Two six pass sets or one eight pass set should be tops for just about any adult over 40" - Really? That's awfully light. Yea we all agree it's quality not quantity but that's still a very light menu for a whole day, and for anyone over 40? Wow...... My ski buddies and I are all over 65 and when 2 or 3 of us are in rotation we'll each get in 3 sets in 3-4 hours. And don't go to school stone cold off winter or you're not using your coaching time for maximum results. It's of course going to take you at least a set or two to just get your balance and timing back to get you back close to ground zero where you were at the end of the season. Don't pay for that. Do your spring break in and warm ups at home and greatly improve your odds of getting the most out of paid coaching time.

• Baller_

I only went to a ski school in Florida once in early season (April). I free skied in Michigan about 5 times in March to get over the soreness and took a few runs through the slalom course before I left. I would not want to go to ski school without at least overcoming that initial soreness and having run a pass or two through the course for timing.

As for age and amount of skiing, I was 50 at the time. I skied a set on a Monday - I think it might have been like 10 passes and that did feel like a lot. I then returned for a repeat pattern on Thursday. I think the days off between was the right way to go without being in full mid-to-late season conditioning. I do believe, however, that I could have done a second light set on each ski day with a long rest between (like ski in the morning and again in the afternoon). For my regular skiing season, I do 2-3 sets per ski day with about a 15-30 minute rest between. It does not seem to be too much.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Pacing yourself over age 60 . . An M7 friend of mine is the instructor at Ski Paradise 1 week every year. He works out year around and usually arrives at the school after a few months of downhill racing but no water skiing. While at the School he skis two 4 pass sets per day and takes the third day off. That's how he prevents burnout. That may work in the role of instructor, but as a student it seems most agree its better to arrive after several weeks of skiing at home.

One year I scheduled a week at the Roberge camp for the end of November to coordinate it with a family Thanksgiving with extended family in Florida. I skied most days in Minnesota until late November, some days in snow at 25 degrees. Skiing in that weather kept my skiing skills alive until I arrived at the camp, but I wouldn't do it again. It violates the 100 degree rule . . water temp + air temp must be >= 100 degrees. The most memorable part of the week was driving Karen Roberge trick skiing while Tom King was doing a photoshoot for one of Karen's sponsors. And I ended up buying Carl's sponsored Nautique.

• Baller
On one of the Spraymakers podcasts I believe Trent said something like - as a coach he could do more for the student if he was watching the first ride of the year. He found it easier to correct issues and they usually stuck with the student because getting into ski shape before hand also gets bad habits into shape as well.

• Baller

Honestly my favorite and most productive early season runs are sets of 4 passes. Run 4 passes and take a break. If your ski school isn't too busy do maybe 3 sets of 4 passes in a day. Equates to 2 full sets of 6 passes so they should only charge you for 2 sets (or 2 sets of 4 for one longer set). You'll be amazed at how much more productive your sets can be until you build up to full sets of 6 or 8. Trying to engrain some new habit or technique when you're wasted is seriously counterproductive and frustrating.