Ski recommendations

seveet

• Baller

It looks like I am in the market for a new ski.

I started skiing the course last fall. Primarily skiing at 30.4. I am running 28 off constantly and trying to work on 32 off.

Current ski is a HO 67 carbon omni. I like how easy it is for generating speed and swing. I definitely struggle slowing it down so I don’t turn into slack line (I know there is a lot of technique that contributes to this and am very much working on it)

I have demoed a Denali C 85 medium (I am 6 ft and 165 pounds- I think this is the right size). This seemed very fast, but easier to slow down.

What other skis would you recommend. Mostly interested in going shorter not necessarily faster, but may speed up depending on progress.

Wouldn’t mind picking up something the was lightly used to save some $$.

• Baller

Have you been told to get a new ski? You may find the upper end skis are too much i.e. they are designed and tuned to be skied at 36mph rather than 30odd

I've tended to find a few $$ spent on lessons is a better investment than changing skis, you may find it is a slight technique tweak and a good setup (making sure the bindings are in the right place and fin settings are back to factory).

• Baller

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris,

I haven’t been instructed to get a new ski. Part of the reason I stayed at 30.4 was the ski that I was skiing. I have a friend that we are moving on to the omni to help him make progress. Kind of using this as an opportunity to see if there is something out there that will help me as I try to get into shorter line lengths and may give me more flexibility if I try increasing the speed.

The 4 main skis that I am looking at are the Denali C 85 (I have access to demo it), syndicate omega max or omega, and the radar senate pro.

I also would consider a syndicate omni as the carbon omni has worked well for me thus far.

All that said I know most of the issues I have are about technique not the ski.

Definitely am taking lessons once or twice a week in the fall and hope to continue that into the spring and summer.

• Baller

Thanks @Rednucleus.

Hey guys, yes, Carbon Omni (and Syndicate Omni) are suited to a pretty wide range of skiers. All the way from learning the course at 28mph/-15 and progressing all the way through 34mph/-28/-32. These are also great for us heavier skiers. It's still a ski I love to ride in the early season as I'm getting back into waterski shape before hopping on OmegaMax. At some point in your progression, you may find the low drag and efficiency of the Omni shape becomes a detriment and you may crave a ski that bleeds speed a bit quicker. This is when you should try a narrower shape like an OmegaMax/Omega/Pro.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Thank you for all the responses.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I did not like the Omni. I think it is an amazing ski.

I am definitely just struggling to slow it down as I shorten the line.

I will see if I can pick up a omega max or senate pro to demo.

• Baller

Thank you for all the feedback.

Brace- yes we did increase the fin angle- up to 9 degrees now. That helped. Then the water got colder?.

Chris- definitely pulling to long. Biggest problem is at 1 ball. Working on it.

My thought process is not that the ski is bad. It is actually very good that is why i am having my friend ski it. I am just looking at where I am hoping to go this year (32 consisted, hopefully 35 and maybe 38), and trying to determine if I should take this opportunity to change things up a bit.

Here are some videos. Sorry for the quality in the first 2. I was figuring Wakeye out on my phone. First two are last fall. Third is current state last weekend open water practice.

3-4 was bad

Definitely pulling too long. Rodeo just trying to survive

I know open water, but time wise it fits.

• Baller_
Would appreciate other skiers comments on increasing your speed to 32-34 vs shortening the rope. I am a hack 32/15 off rarely get to 22 off; better skiers always comment that it's easier to ski at shorter lines & higher speeds. As my friends age they complain about going from 34 to 32mph

• Baller
@seveet you're dropping your hips back during the pulling phase, try and push your hips forward more. That way you shouldn't break at the waist as you did haft way through. Also, as they are so far back, you're almost sitting when you turn, which explains why if feels like you can't slow the ski down - if you look on here for "stacked" they you should find some good tips on how to do it.