Whats your view on Wake Boat music practices ?

swbca

• Baller_

This may not be a realistic consideration for you but you can pretend it is.

So Lets Hypothesize . . If you were a casual skier and found a new home development with 2 man made lakes, one for wake boats and one for slalom as an attractive option for your purchase consideration, how important would it be for the lake usage policies to include a rule that did not permit the use of high powered speakers on the wake boat(s). The boats and drivers are provided by the association in coordination with a boat club

• Administrators
I guess if it's the only place to ski you might put up with some crap but it's amazing how loud some of those boats are and how bad the music is likely to be

• Baller_
@Such_a_brett This pole was obviously inspired by your development. I live on a lake with many Wake Boats, making me interested in the experience and opinions of other avid water sports people.

• Baller
As a whole, I think the wake board/wake surf crowd have to be the most inconsiderate boaters on the water. Huge wakes, excessively loud, vulgar music and complete disregard for property owners or other boaters.

• Baller

Came home from work last week and my son was playing basketball w/friends in our drive. Several of the boys arrived in a golf cart which was playing "offensive to me" music. Not vulgar just horrible noise (same thing my Dad thought about my music). As I was pulling into the garage I thought about telling them to cut the crap off. Think I made the right decision by ignoring it (it wasn't overly loud/neighborhood disturbing loud) and going inside.

That being said, there is no way I would spend the kind of money it takes to live on a private site knowing the possibility existed where I'd be subjected to that "music" being blared whether skiing or not. I'd require a "no amplied stereo clause" in the covenant.

• Baller_

Think about your own music listening habits. You listen to WHAT YOU WANT and WHEN YOU WANT IT. You cannot "Avert your Ears" when your space is filled with loud music you don't want. It interrupts your enjoyment of friends, family, meals, beer, sleep, your dog, sun and water.

The HOA hires the boats and drivers so they have the authority to regulate Wake Boat music. I would never buy lake shore if they weren't committed to regulate to a standard where the home owners are happy.

• Baller

Same as if you cranked with big speakers in your back yard--you are impacting those around you.

One time party, inform the neighborhood you are having music it's ok--start and end time. Otherwise it is just disrespectul. I didn't choose to listen to your music, you shouldn't be able to just impose it on me as I enjoy my property. Likewise you shouldn't be subject to mine.

It's like smoking at a bar. If someone is drunk next to me they are drunk but I don't breathe their crap. If someone is smoking, they stink up the entire environment for everyone else--not cool take it outside. So glad not really allowed inside anymore.

• Baller
Its not about being subjected to it while i ski, although annoying enough. A man made lake I assume isn't so large as it would likely dissipate the volume of music being played from wake board/surf boats the way they commonly do, with towers covered with speakers aimed backward so the wake boarder or surfer can hear it (and everyone along the shoreline behind it.) Even if I like the music, I don't want to be forced to listen to it while in my own yard.

• Baller_
Was sitting at lkeside restaurant trying to enjoy dinner with family yesterday. Seemed like every other boat that came through the busy channel connecting the chain of lakes was LOUD!! All of them had tower speakers of some kind and cranked full blast. Wake boats, pontoons, flats boats, center consoles, bass boats, run abouts, ski boats, and yes, many jet skis. Music was eclectic as well. Far from just a wake boat thing anymore.

• Baller_
Whenever there are are a bunch of kids on my reasonably large public lake surfing or wake boarding in front of my house with their music cranked, I look at them with disgust…. Because I wish they’d invite me and they didn’t. :(

Lpskier

• Baller_

@ScottScott I understand they are considering the "no-tower" speaker option, plus a decibel limiter with testing to find a satisfactory level. For me personally, I don't want to hear the music from my lake-side yard at all, so I would have to know what the "satisfactory" level is before I could be a buyer. For me its not LOUD vs NOT-LOUD. Its LOUD vs CANT HEAR IT.

Our lake is 95% 2nd homes. There are few high-end "for rent by owner" homes. It is common for the high-end renters to bring a Wake Boat to the lake for a week long vacation.

We have had the worst offenders of the Wake Boat crowd on our lake and know how how bad it can be.

• Administrators
I think you have to realize that if you are on a private lake with an HOA there's always going to be some asshole who is going to be very inconsiderate of everyone else. The best thing you can do is have very clear and well thought out rules.

• Baller

Interesting question.

Given that the boats and drivers are club provided I don't think this would be nearly the same issue as if it were private party boats and drivers.

If you're moving to a man made lake, especially wake boarding, and you're not allowed to drive yourself or use your own boat you eliminate (guessing) 90% of the riff raff. The type of people that would be into that situation are serious wake boarders, not party boat goers.

If it is private party boats and drivers, it's a whole different deal. But, I still believe a man make wakeboard lake would severely limit the riff raff. If I was into party barging, the last thing I would want is to move to a small, sport only lake where I can't even drive myself around.

Regardless, to answer your question. If I am moving to a man made lake, it is going to be a ski only lake. Otherwise I am sticking with public water.

• Baller
Having been the president of our HOA, despite numerous written rules, infractions occur, and an HOA board actually has very little power to enforce the rules other than fines leading to lien on the offending property. Infraction can continue until property is sold. In an effort to better enforce HOA rules, I came to rely on County code enforcement; letting them be the bad guy and also they have some serious enforcement capability. Not sure what noise ordinances are in place for city/county in this specific instance, but that would be a good place to start if issues arise.

• Baller_
@markn the boats and certified drivers are hired by the HOA via a boat club. Not likely to have many infractions.e It remains a question of what the music policy is . . I know for starters they were too liberal for my taste, but I think they are all ears to learn from BOS forum.

• Baller

I was young once and know that great music can be a tremendous amplifier (pun intended) of the fun that can be had out on the water. But I'm also old now I know how annoying it can be when people play really loud music in tight spaces.

Private lakes? No way!!! Way too many people cramped into way too tight of a space. Stereos should have like a 600 watt limit with nothing above the freeboard of the boat (read: no tower speakers). And even at that, residents should be expected to be very courteous with it.

5,000 watt stereos with speakers everywhere should absolutely be enjoyed out in the middle of big lakes. Great loud music can really be wonderful, especially pointed right at the rider coming off the tower. But such a thing has absolutely no place on small private lakes with houses all around.

• Baller_
Word of caution, our local ordinances were more restrictive than state level for a variety of items. Under a tight budget the local township simply deferred to state regulations rather than use resources to enforce local ordinance restrictions.

• Baller

If I wanted to hear that music, it would be on in my boat. It’s generally kids trying to be impressive. When it’s adults..... Yes, your lake complex should have distinct rules. Enforcement should be left to HOA. Reasonable music is one thing, and should be tolerated, but I should not be forced to hear it. Decibel meters are $15-$20 on Amazon. Anything over X dbs measured from the shore gets the boat owner/family cited.

It honestly seems likely a pretty reasonable and simple policy to get enacted. At least brought to consideration by the HOA board.

• Baller
In our case those running the boat club will play an important role in keeping the community the serene and secluded place it was designed to be. It would be different if we were just turning people loose on the boats. Instead we have professional drivers and a handful of certified owners allowed to drive. The latter would be at risk of losing their drive privledge of there are complaints. The former could lose their job. I'm confident it'll be plenty quiet. In fact I suspect there will be more problems with kids pumping backyard music with friends over.

• Baller_

@Such_a_brett

You are the developer with the vested interest in this development's success and part of the team working on all of the details of the lake programs.

Many people on this forum probably don't know what role music plays for Wake surfers etc. Is it similar to the music in a figure skater's program, or is it for getting into a familiar zone like the half-pipe competitors with their ear buds ? or is it just a social stimulant ?

You are trying to find the right balance to ensure that music for 3 or 4 people in a boat is given the fair level of consideration when it potentially competes with quality of life for possibly dozens of families in and around their homes. And to some degree the value of those homes ?

Someone else commented its like having 1 smoker in a restaurant full of people. To me that's a useful analogy. But its more similar to having a bus boy who is a chain smoker to spread it around.

The starting point when shaping this policy should start with 0db at the shoreline. Then with input from your boat users consider allowing more volume knowing that at some level the enjoyment of louder music for 4 boaters degrades or prevents the enjoyment of activities for 20 or more families at their homes. (The strong feelings people have on this forum is based on their experience) It fun to go to a state fair, but you don't want it to follow you home.

None of this is should be confused with the sound of the boats and people having fun. Its strictly the music.

Another dimension of this consideration is the persistence. It no big deal if a loud Wake Boat goes past our dock 3 or 4 times in a day, but its different if its running up and down our shore for 8 consecutive hours as it might be on your Wake Boat lake.

I am sure you figure this out. If you start on the quiet end and work your way up with community experience, you avoid risk and hopefully have everyone happy.

• Baller

@tjm basically the rules have to be based upon the worst possible thing someone could be blasting at the peak moment you might want to be utilizing your lake.

For reference the other night at 3AM my wife was watching a TV show in which the actress started singing a pitchy variation of "I saw the sign" by Ace of Bass. It was horrible, off pitch, and woke me up.

If someone thinks its OK to play their music loud then they need to be OK with someone else parked off their dock blasting off pitch Ace of Bass. If the answer to that is that you don't want it, well you better turn down the volume.

Lets say you want to host a rehearsal dinner for your daughters wedding in a tent at the lake property - you good with that blasting on the next lake? Or do you want to have rules against it there's the metric.

• Baller
@BraceMaker, thank you for that explanation. However, for me, it depends on the music, which should be interpreted to mean it's not important. So, now you have houses along the lake, is their music to be controlled also?? I'd rather live in a "looser" community, not one with too many rules. I recognize that some rules are needed for the safety of all. I personally do not view music as one of those. So on days when Mr and Mrs Wakeboarder are playing music that appeals to me I'm having fun with them. On days when I do not like their music then so be it.

• Baller

I live on a large public.... boats booming till 3AM. I wish they didn't but not a lot one can do about it.

in a private community I would enforce based on sun rise / sun set. too many rules is not a fun place to live.

when I slalom I don't allow the radio on (ask for it off).... not that there is much to watch just don't want the crew distraction if I get hurt.

• Baller

Even my personally favorite music would sound like total crap to me on one of those systems, in the boat nor on shore nor in another boat.

There are waterproof earbuds that provide better sound to the intended recipients for those that can't jump their 18" mcgrabby without their cracking tunes