Goode double boot dual lock pre-release

jeidmann

• Baller

First set second day of the season, scraping off some rust at 34/22, I had an equipment failure with the Dual Lock yesterday morning. My neck is a little stiff but it could have been a worse. The wake is pretty hard on this old Malibu and the water was 65 degrees.

I really like the double boots, but this has been my biggest reservation about the using the Goode double boot setup - a dual lock pre-release. I’ve watched and followed Dave Miller’s video on setting up and mounting the plate and I’m meticulous about checking my equipment before I ski. A Pro slalom friend recommended 3 or 4 strips of 400 tape across the front. I was wondering if any of you had any experience/advise on the setup ( I completely understand that, for liability reasons, whatever I do regarding the setup is my own responsibility…I’m just looking for insight.), I never want to pre-release like this again, I guess this is why some people resort to screwing down their plate.

• Baller

“3 or 4 strips of 400 across the front”? First that looks like the release started from the rear so what’s on the front is less important. But 3M does NOT recommend using 400/400. In other words do you have 400 on the ski meshing with 400 on the plate? If so, that’s a no-no. The little pegs are so dense, since they are same size, they apparently don’t mesh well. See this link

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/

• Baller_

@jeidmann I don't think you will find many fans of dual lock on this board or in the wider waterski community. It is an extremely poor release mechanism as you have found out the hard way. When the dual lock concept first came out, I had the heel come up on me at 1 ball in a tournament. After that, I screwed the plate to the ski. If you not comfortable screwing the plate to the ski, I would strongly recommend you go to a Reflex or MOB configuration as soon as you can.

Oh yeah, that is an awesome video!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Nothing good to say about that boot setup/system other than, when you’re skiing, it’s fantastic! When you fall, it is an ER trip waiting to happen. It has fundamental flaws. My buddy tried some 400 due to prereleases and broke his Tib and Fib because it didn’t release. I had it setup EXACTLY like Goode used to recommend and broke my Talus in a fall that would have been a total snoozer in ANYTHING else.

There are others who have used it for years and will totally disagree, but I’m not risking another broken bone for their opinion

• Baller

Bruce, a big factor for me in considering the dual lock was talking to Todd Kuykendall, he's been very happy with it.

I would definitely prefer screwing down the plate to having this happen again. I previously was using Radar boots and wore them so snug I never came out of them and didn't have any injuries.

I've looked at the MOB, could still result in a pre-release if not adjusted tight enough, I'll look again. What setup do you use?

• Baller
Several years ago a story floated around. Seems a skier was seated on a plane and a conversation arose with the guy seated next to him. Turns out the guy was an engineer with dual lock. The skier says "hey, I use that to attach my bindings allowing for release." The engineer was appalled and said that stuff was never designed for such a use.

• Baller

@Gloersen is correct!! I was about to post the same picture or a slowed down video of your front plate separating and then slapping back down. If you turn up the volume you can hear this slapping or clicking noise as well. I’ve experienced this before when during my set I kept hearing a click click noise going through the wake. I skied a few passes hearing this noise then let go after hearing it again heading from one to two. I reviewed the end course video we keep running all summer. I saw this same image of the front plate separating and slapping back down. I still use this set up and keep a close Eye on things and also have added a few short strips of either 250 or 400 in the front center. This is certainly NOT a recommendation. It’s just what I have done.

* picture from my end course video…

lwttl5dfktiu.jpeg

• Baller
As far as performance I think the power shells are hard to beat. I used them for five years, but I just got tired of maintaining the dual lock. Also I was at a tournament 8+ hours drive from home.On Sunday they offered the turn and burn option for rounds two and three. I crashed second round(with release). It delayed me getting home by two hours. That was the final straw.

• Baller
I loved my Power Shells and used them for almost 10 years (using various lengths/types of tape). Favorite feeling boots of anything I have tried before or since, but the pre-releases just aren't worth it. My system would pre-release about once a season, but the crashes were brutal. Not worth it. I switched to Reflex/R-style, and while I don't like the boots as much as my Power Shells, the only thing I have to worry about now is the occasional bite from the Reflex snake on my back shin if I fall hard. Much better than the nearly certain, but unpredictable, yard sale on my Power Shells that left me laying in the water wondering if my limbs were still attached and uncertain which direction was up vs. down. I was stubborn -- I wish I had made the change sooner. Good luck!

• Baller
@jeidmann I would be glad to discuss using your Powershell boots with the MOB release system. FYI, I used double hardshell boots with my system for over twenty years, never had a pre-release, skiing into -39 @ 34mph. Any type boot, releasable or rubber can pre-release if not set up properly for your foot and skiing ability. A few years ago, I switched to a half boot style rear and MOB releasable front. I was surprised at the performance advantages of that style setup once I got accustomed to it. That is the setup I recommend to everybody that does not ski with a simple toe strap plate.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
If you do not have enough FREE PLATE with this stuff in front of and behind your boots, you are in trouble. The binding must stop with several inches left in front of the front foot, and several inches behind the rear boot. 250/250 works just fine. I found that 400/250 was too much and did not release when i thought it should on a 1/4 bouy attempt.