Surepath question

bojans

• Baller

We are currently on the waiting list to get Surepath for our site. A friend in FL has shared some information with me on that just doesn't seem quite right. I would appreciate someone setting me straight on these as they seem difficult to believe.

He says:

- Many people are using Surepath successfully without a base station

- In some locations people are having to pay satellite access fees that can be as high as $500

Thanks

• Baller
@bojans in the last couple of tournaments that I helped at that waere equipped with surepath we did not need the base station as their was a radio tower close enough for us to get service. We had no issues with the system running off of the radio tower and the most restrictive aspect was making sure we had a hot spot running in farm country.

• Baller

@bojans, I received my Sure-Path a few weeks ago and have been using it to set our slalom course. Only bought the Rover; no Base station. In my State (Missouri), I was able to register the device with the Department of Transportation, was assigned a userid/password, and gained free access to the state-wide RTK GPS network.

So Yes, didn't need to buy a base station. In my case, no fee.

• Baller_
Some states, like New York and Florida, allow free access to public gps base stations, typically maintained by the Department of Transportation. Other states, like South Carolina, charge an annual access fee. SC charges $500 annually. So if everywhere you plan to use your Sure Path offers free access, you don’t need to buy a base station. If you plan to use SP where access to public base stations isn’t free, it’s probably best to buy your own base station.

Lpskier

• Baller
@Deanoski Yes, we use Sure-Path to check course dimensions. Actually, that's our primary purpose. It was either that, or figure out how to hire or use surveying equipment. Sure-Path seemed a lot easier.

• Baller_

@Deanoski SP was initially intended to be used for course survey work.

Hint: When surveying or just mapping the gates, use a swimmer, not the included selfie stick, and make sure the swimmer is wearing a life jacket. These steps will ensure that the buoy isn’t being subtly displaced. And don’t survey on windy days.

Lpskier

• Baller

Sorry guys, I missed this thread when it started but all comments are spot on. Some states in the USA provide free access to the CORS network but many don't. If in doubt, contact me first. Incidentally, the US is way ahead of the rest of the world in providing free access to live RTK data corrections.

James