BicepTenodesis vs Tenotomy

• Baller
I have seen an ortho and likely need a Bicep Tenodesis or Tenotomy (Cutting Bicep Tendon and reattaching it vs no reattachment). Just seeing if anyone has had one of these procedures and did it affect your skiing after rehab. Ortho didn't seem to think there would be a strength issue between the two processes but some literature seems to say Tenodesis is better for strength but longer rehab. I am an attorney and always hate when people ask legal questions on a site vs asking their attorney but most surgeons have no knowledge of skiing and the forces it places on your body. Thanks

• Baller

I'm also suffering from this injury, 4 tears in my right and 2 if I recall in my left. Nearly every step of the way has had delays (MRI, CT, appointments), so I'm almost 2 years from first surgeons visit, and around 5 years when it started to bother me.

So I'm both curious to the surgery, as well as someone sort of in the middle of the process. Last week I had my first cortisone injection, and the results are certainly much less fatigue and some strength recovered. My free skiing (course not yet installed) has been much improved and way less skiing fatigue. Surgery is planned for the fall.

• Baller_
I had a tenodesis right biceps at shoulder end; 8 wk in sling, was skiing at 16 weeks. Have better range of motion & no pain vs my "good shoulder" which recent mri says that biceps tendon is fraying :( A PT friend told me tenodesis is no longer as popular as when I had it done; maybe discuss that with your ortho. I am 100% satisfied with my outcome. BTW post op PT is your friend!!

• Baller
My right one tore and detached several years ago. I went to four surgeons trying to find one who would reattach it. Nobody would. They said I don’t need it and gave me the John Elway story. They all said rest and in two weeks you’d be back skiing. They were right and I’ve had no problems since.

• Baller_

Curious why the ortho thinks you need the biceps Tenodesis? Its not an unusual side effect or one of the old folks injuries, but haven't seen it as a stand alone remedy.

From my experience..... the biceps tendinosis is pretty mild, but there is likely (?) something else involved. I had my dominant arm bicep tendon rupture after many years of shoulder issues, but that was a side effect of more major problems. The biceps tendinosis by itself is routine and relatively minor surgery. Depending on your ortho, the main recovery is the 6 weeks in the sling.....

PT is your best friend.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Bruce, I have a torn ligament that holds the bicep tendon in place. It is creating a lot of pain and as a result decrease in strength. As far as they can see no rotator cuff issues ect which is often the case. Tried PT for a year with no change. Will definitely go to PT after surgery.