Heart attack

brody

• Baller
So I’m 51, in great shape and workout pretty much everyday. I had a small heart attack yesterday. I’m still in the hospital and doing well waiting for a few tests. My question is has anyone here gone back to a higher activity level and or skiing after a heart attack? Thanks

• Baller

@brody Sorry to hear, and hope for a speedy recovery. I don't have personal experience, but a close member of our ski group does. He had a massive heart attack, and ended up on an lvad for a time to stay alive. Eventually received a transplanted heart, and has come back skiing better than before. Different than your current situation, but shows that a comeback is possible. Not in the medical field, so I don't know the limitations that might be put on you if any damage has occurred.

• Baller
Ask @6balls He is a medical expert and great skier.I would guess what damage the attack did your family history and your history.GOOD LUCK I AM SURE THINGS WILL WORK OUT.You are in my prayers for a speedy and healthy recovery......

• Baller

Hey there follow your cardiologists recommendations. I would have a ton of questions for you re: details but yeah this is not a medical forum.

Tell your docs about your skiing, your workouts, your goals for same and when you may return to them and at what intensity initially and how to advance.

I suspect you will be able to ski/work out as before given time and following best practices unique to your situation.

• Baller

Local skier here at Okeeheelee had one at the dock and another lessor one while in the hospital early this year. He's back skiing (and biking) at pre-attack levels.

It probably comes down to how much damage your heart has sustained. Your doctor will be able to help you determine a proper path...

• Baller
Had a heart attack 17 years ago, spent a full week in cardiac ICU. At age 47 the mortality rate is not good. Had one stent inserted. I became the poster boy for cardiac rehab. Dropped 35-40 lbs, started exercising daily, eating right, never looked back . After 6 mos my cardiologist was amazed at the transition, said he couldn’t even tell I’d had an attack. Couldn’t find any dead muscle etc, and he knew where to look. I was approved for “ unlimited” activity. Have not skipped a beat since, weight still off, still going strong . Do your cardiac rehab, stick to it following , you’ll be good for another 100,000 miles at least. Just one of the many times God saved me .

• Baller
I have a good friend at work that is on his 2nd Pace Maker. We do Pilates together but he's a runner and blows me away on the track. It hasn't slowed him down. Hoping you get back to it real soon.