Michigan ski course law question

• Baller_

The requirement you have on your lake sounds like it was grandfathered in. I've heard of these arrangements. The official requirement on the permit is that you removed the entire course after "actual use". That kind of implies that you install them, immediately use the course, and then immediately remove them. The half hour break that you are taking technically wouldn't be allowed, although you might be able to fabricate a relevant story (had to return to the shore to get some forgotten equipment, needed to refuel, needed a bathroom break, etc.), if you were to be questioned. A longer amount of time (like half or most of the day) with it installed and nobody using the course would likely be a problem.

However, the most recent permit also allows that the provision governing the installation and removal (Provision 6) can be waived if you gather signatures from the affected riparian owners. That essentially allows the course to be completely installed 24x7. Getting that waiver can be tricky, though, as most permit holders do not want to draw unnecessary attention to the course and prefer to keep a low profile. Getting the neighbors onboard with even having a course is difficult enough. Having the permit allow buoys continuously may get some resistance or have someone rethinking their approval of the course in the first place. Once you have a permit, make sure to avoid garnering complaints about it.

Below is the list of provisions. On Provision 6, note the words "actual use":

rr2hwj29bl29.jpg

On the actual permit application, there is a section where you can indicate that you have "letters of No Objection" to the waiver of provision 6.

The actual application is located here:

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/-/media/Project/Websites/dnr/Documents/Forms/folder2/PR9202_AppPermit_Placement_SkiBuoys.pdf?rev=ef4037e26eff475b9823e46ab1107022&hash=2DC1A8F712BCBB083C31266870990B25

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@MISKIER is correct however the permit will allow a letter from a Lake Association. If your lake has an Association the DNR will allow a "no objection letter" instead of multiple residence approvals. You still must have corner buoys and must remove the course every Saturday by noon and reinstall course sunrise Monday. Corner buoys do not have to be removed. No course on holiday weekends (all 3 days). I've done this for several years now and my permits are good for 3 years.

AND, never get any complaints, never get angry at tubers or other idiots and try not to get mad at the fisher people.

Note: My Provisions and Conditions are a little different than above. No. 6 is different and explains the "no objection letter". You can message me if you want a copy of the DNR Permit for Oakland County.

• Baller_

@MrB is correct about the Lake Association providing the "No Objection" letter for the entire lake. That is one of the checkboxes on the application.

If you are only removing gates and turn balls, you have a pretty good setup already (unless you could get the provision 6 waiver and leave it up 24x7).

Any specific reason you need the 1/2 hour of downtime without removing the course?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

It more of a schedule issue. I could set it up real quick and drive back and get everyone or they could meet me at the ski course. I figured if I left it would be no longer then a 1/2 hr. That is some interesting information it would probably be feasible on my lake. The issue is the individual who has the permit is a jerk.

• Baller
I am the permit holder for our public lake, our course stays up 24/7 including holidays and has no corner buoys. I had to get signatures from surrounding homeowners. Is the lake has an association it would help to get approval which our lake has in place.