Skiing after complete bicep tear

skifan

• Baller

Hello, anyone have experience skiing after a complete distal, lower, bicep tear. I tore mine in March 2021 and am pretty much back to normal but I am nervous about getting back on a slalom ski. I've looked at the Goode PowerVest to help ease my mind but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Curious how long you might have waited or how long it took you to ease back into it.

TIA

• Baller

Mine tore after switching to the non-standard grip for a lefty. But apparently, my left bicep didn't have years of getting stronger, so it tore on a bad deep water start.

I already had the power vest in storage, so I'm back to using it now. I still need to remember to let my arms go straight so the power vest can take the load. The power vest works great (still trying to get used to the deep water start however). I can ski more passes with the power vest, and it doesn't seem to affect my skiing.

The other thing you can do to move the load to the other bicep is switch your grip.

• Baller
I was in surgery both times. Wore a brace for 6 weeks and in a sling for 8. Then PT for two months. Same program both times. Surgery had to be within first 10 days from injury both times.

The Powervest takes a lot of strain off your elbow tendons and ligaments. It is a little tricky getting used to it. I have the driver pull me up a little slower with the vest. I talked with the guy who helped Dave design it and he uses the vest to train but not in tournaments.

• Baller_
Make sure your biceps are relaxed with arms straight when under pulling tension and don't pull handle in at beginning of edge change. I tore mine skiing years ago in cold weather and it still gets sore and feels vulnerable if I do to many curls or pullups in a week. No problem with skiing with those precautions which are consistent with good performance skiing.

• Baller
Total detachment of right arm distal bicep tendon June 15 last year. Surgery to reattach June 29. Trick skied on my birthday October 22 (73rd birthday). Didn’t slalom until this spring. Arm seems strong but my slalom still sucks. ??

• Baller

Same for me back in '06 but happened at the end of the year so I waited the full 36 weeks and did PT; had the same concerns as you- asked my surgeon and he just told be to go ski

but I did flip my grip over- and now I can do that whenever I feel the need to