Rib injury prevention

Vernon Reeve

• Baller

Not sure how well preventative training will work at protecting bone or cartilage from injury. That said a decent exercise routine can go a long way at helping survive falls and specific exercises can be even better so go for it and let us know what you find out! Definitely protection with a vest is most helpful. I banged the wakes during a tournament last year and busted up some cartilage right where my eagle vest did not have padding. It took a few weeks to be skiing again but it’s been 10 months and there is still crepitus. Now for training I mostly wear my HO vest that’s heavier but better padded.

As for serratus anterior exercises I would say straight arm pull downs from both planes, straight down in front and laterally to the sides with cable or bands. Side planks would be good. Unilateral waiter walks and overhead carry’s and then definitely some rotational mobility work to keep you limber after all that strength work.

• Baller
I often dream of a vest with ridgid ribs panels like a quarter back at football. I thought of that after breaking 4 in a bad fall. Painfull and missed my Natls.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
Seems like the old Straightline vest everybody was wearing 20 years ago had better rib padding than today's vests. I wish somebody would make one like it again. Heard Eagle might do it. Liked the 2 buckles too.

• Baller
Several years ago I injured my ribs and ordered a Evoshield Adult Rib Shirt. It has 1/4" moldable hard plastic plates for each side and the shirt is a short sleeve form fitting (like a rash guard) with pockets for the plates. Fits very well under my Eagle life vest with zero restrictions. I wore it for about 3 months after the injury but really should wear it every set. I am 6' 180 and wear a 42 long suit coat and bought XL size as they run a little small.

• Baller
@ETskier I have 2 old Straighline vests. Both have seen hard times and worn out. Great vests and shed water like no others. Comfortable and give unparalleled protection. I’d be a buyer if they were reproduced. Until then Stokes does a good job for me.

• Baller
@buoyboy1 I also used the Evoshield Adult Rib Shirt under a tournament vest. However, did a sliding wipe out that would have been a normal rib shot, but the zippered vest turn inside out, tipping that shield up, causing that shield to jam straight into my ribs/sternum. I was out for about 3 weeks, and still have a bump there. So my advice would be to find a vest with a strap to prevent it from turning inside out during a sliding wipe out.