RCB restoration project

ReallyGottaSki

• Baller

Welp, operation RCB Restoration is nearing completion. .

Before I presume, any interest out there in seeing the picture timeline between then and now? Should have closure in about two weeks. Beware I've said 'about two weeks' for about 4 weeks now...

I didn't have the liberty to post as it went, so you may get the fast-motion movie, but without the tedium of waiting for progress.

We're about 700 man-hours into the restore at this point, consumed much the winter and spring after work and some weekends

You may recall the 99 I found last October, pound rescue..

u95ft1gz8s7o.jpg

jhgyowba77sm.jpg

IMG_20211029_164035621_HDR.jpgIMG_20211031_111003486_HDR.jpg

Edited by ReallyGottaSki
pix

• Baller

Interior gutted mid November

Looks like the rear seat bottom the only thing that doesn't need attn

First part bought was a functional and sturdy trailer jack

It took weeks to eventually determine what colors the boat is

50s0lzqdzm96.jpg

jmyst6hhqqys.jpg

8t2ecqbenf7v.jpg

d2o1dzdemxqq.jpg

rasb3dmw4pdp.jpg

• Baller

December, goes inside, and my friend and I hit it hard, as we have some heat

Part of the plan is to replace all soft parts, hoses, control cables, etc as we go

Fuel tank and exhaust come out

Driveline comes out

Oh look at that, strut is bent. Still amazing it was undetectable on the test drive like that. Still would have bought it..

Lots of buffing till arms ache occuring in-between these pictures

b2ocg4fhsjv8.jpg

hofwlmwe5vf9.jpg

o2eb8c7no4nu.jpg

b2vwzo7dxh6h.jpg

6w0l0a3j0llj.jpg

2mieprl82mq3.jpg

mg6v686dbn22.jpg

7im5qg8b6ykd.jpg

6j2o5mowig1g.jpg

4ex5yle67rl8.jpg

einm0zxbbj0l.jpg

cgf8ad6fla94.jpg

imjroek2ricx.jpg

• Baller

Raw water pump rebuilt,

New brakes, backing plates, pads, cylinders assembly, hard and soft lines, brake actuator

All stern hardware removed, including wedge

Alternator and brackets a crusty mess, new alt, and brackets were ground, primed, painted

Buffing, buffing, buffing

Determine the boat is Natural/regal red/black/opal white/ (reversed under rub-rail)

1l0vxcvfabag.jpg

cf1hwp3w0ue2.jpg

osq6obfqg68g.jpg

46m8e8z3pa5r.jpg

r7omy7j5dawu.jpg

h0oxxcmf2o0q.jpg

• Baller

Steady supply of parts coming in

Started dialog with Gabe's very early, glad I did as we needed that time

Choosing white/tan/red accent instead of black accent it had

Throttle repacked with grease

All three new cables, helm, pinion and tilt

Peeled up the dry rubber mat on the driver's footwell

Restoring dash soft parts

Ruder dropped and greased,

Tiller pivot changed from nut/bolt to a fixed stud

iexot9stvgg7.png

40r8se821xjs.jpg

i12xb39oca6c.jpg

0rtm60cg3ovv.jpg

q79sdfdmsqvy.jpg

38sdh37l98mz.jpg

h1cj9iiw6xr7.jpg

• Baller

This is an epic resto! I redid a bunch of that stuff in mine last year but you're going WAAAY further than I did. My vinyl was still good. I started needing a new strut bushing, which turned into:

Since I need a strut bushing I will need to drop the rudder so I should probably just pull out the back couch and the gas tank and since I've got that all out, I may as well just rip up and replace the yucky carpet and since that stuff is all out I guess I'll redo the exhaust hoses and fuel lines and as long as I have the flooring up, I may as well re-glass and level the floors and since I have all the upholstery out, I may as well have my mom sew on some new strap to the top of the gunnel nets and...

• Baller_
Wow! I really admire your spirit and desire to fix her up. From a strictly financial standpoint that boat should have been sent to the landfill and you could have found a similar model/year and got to pristine condition for much less effort. Is there something that made that boat special and worthy of going the extra mile?

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Gar , there was some faith and hope, then it got a wet test two weeks ago for a shakedown. Leaks at risers, rear plug, circ pump, and one muffler had a weeping crack. But hds appears sound, and stringer çavities stayed dry

@UWSkier , thank you, yes I'm privy to the mushroom effect, yours sounds great!

@Bruce_Butterfield indeed, luckily we don't charge ourselves shop rates ! else pure lunacy.

No attachment to it aside from the energy investment so far. I'm a chronic turd polisher, hence my 82 supreme, that performs quite well, efficient, great wake, but remains hull -limited regarding space and spray.

This model has been a desire for 10 years or so. I was aiming for a well cared for boat with engine issues. I moved on just the opposite.

Pure hobbyist endeavor. Going full retard. Time aside, I should have something uniquely custom to my uses, for 16.5 counting all expenditures.

@rockdog , thanks, yes there were some pondering after certain setbacks, like the foam, pushing through. Great support and assistance from a great friend too, helps bunch. Supportive girlfriend as well!

• Baller

So after some research, and courage in our abilities, proceeded to drill 11 5-6" holes in the floor, and prepare for a foamectomy surgery.

A 65 and sunny degree day in February was approaching , and it was go time.

What you are viewing is a stout power washer, with a variable angle attachment and 'turbo tip', that pulverized the wet foam into mush, and had two shop vacs rotating to keep up, taking turns nozzle or shop vac.

Surgery took 6 hours of spraying, but 95% of hull foam is gone.

Separated the water, Three contactor sized bags of foam into the dumpster

Then it went back to the garage with fans for a couple days.

Some holes, like under the tank, seats and bow, got an access plate. 7 others each got a layup of 22 progressively larger layers of glass and epoxy.

Then leveled the floor with epoxy w/ filler

Without the foam, the floor needed further strengthening, so it got three layers of glass and wetted out with more total boat epoxy

Short video..

9zn3vkhl1c6d.jpeg

pyrnp7x553ml.jpeg

3s6mym83ornm.jpeg

v7pavydc7zs0.jpeg

fc727ra3ajp2.jpg

hwhpyowp7ds0.jpg

z9kmdzqbgyeg.jpg

uw0i097nmvgk.jpg

6w0msfd9fl08.jpg

• Baller

Constructed some block off plates for the dash speaker holes, and added 3" defroster vents , for those dewey morning sets.

Mufflers painted, new hoses and tbolt clamps. New fuel lines, naturally.

Spark plugs, cap and rotor.

The new in box 515 that came with the boat, is ready for installation.

Windshield frame was prepped, etching primer, and semigloss black

6d4k8kbyc02r.jpg

n0xs8q67ojrk.jpg

e5xmgxi4bufb.jpg

qmeqc7zjve5f.jpg

Stern hardware is starting to go back on at this point

Swim lights were just for the fun of it

rpfuzk913prw.jpeg

rf76sdixmzcf.jpg

wu8h3hznkarg.jpg

rm8cn2ndptdy.jpg

• Baller

Tank went in, new hoses, centrifugal blower, for continuous, quiet operation

Water separator, since these didn't have one

Accent led lights under gunnel, just cuz

Access panel, from plywood, got three layers of glass, then strips of HDPE to build it up to 1"

Bottom polished. Pulleys polished

My friend extended the prop guard a half inch, because it only had a 1/16" clearance to the prop. Looks and feels seamless. We had to heat and tweak the bends for the new angles

wk2icks0lxva.jpg

mmy189ks92rp.jpg

tmqge5u40579.jpg

bvi6yai754hq.jpeg

vb1gzwy5cnzn.jpeg

fsg9402u6hrb.jpg

usw7jz67y56h.jpg

tro0lakiwdak.jpg

8v1tac723ngq.jpg

• Baller
I can tell by your attention to detail that this thing is going to be an absolute gem when you're done. These are such amazing boats to drive and ski behind (not to mention some of the best lines ever on a ski tug). Love seeing them get some resto love!

• Baller

Trunk lid, not savable...

Platform, not savable...

Thought about reusing some slats with a new frame, no go.

Platform hardware restored

Time to do rug..

My first purchase arrive some time ago, I put it aside till I needed it.

Go to use it, and it's just an inferior product, not usable.

It will line the trunk, and makes a good worktable surface for upholstery.

Local marina scored me a big roll of a sturdy product, sand color and strong backing

Used the old pieces as a template to rough-cut the new carpet in one piece

A local legend in our lake came over to supervise the glue-in after after the test-fit.

d1gegd57iwz3.jpg

a5as9vods8kw.jpg

4dgj9j54erss.jpg

zuwl8z9krr5w.jpg

b71wy3u5bgrc.jpg

n38jbihb86yl.jpg

zr7dsvhbdnbn.jpg

t1sb612bylr8.jpg

• Baller

Heater, finally settled

Starboard outlet to the driver's feet

Center outlet splits to the defrosters

Port goes to the pull-out tube. The vertical tubes are fresh air from the cowl to the hollow stringers that also act like ducting

we9x4vp8iddw.jpg

• Baller

Passenger seat base in, driver's seat- in

Engine cover, covered with scrim

Driver armrest is covered in scrim, and some matching red, instead of factory white

Got this neat silicon edge molding from the Amazon, there was just bare fiberglass in the carpet wrap prior.

I'm deleting the drink holder , nla, and the netted pockets, for a clean look on the engine cover

x1jebr76smmq.jpg

6genmq61sme0.jpg

3j9uowbqbycz.jpg

l09wup2xp47f.jpg

hv133sbkbt2d.jpg

• Baller

@ImperfectPass Donny, my trunk lid has had the least progress to-date.

I have been going back and forth for months whether to glass ply, or try glass over foam board.it was time to pick

I just bought the ply for that project last night, so should get into that next week

• Baller

@ImperfectPass indeed, a stout design appears needed there. I anticipate bonding some 3/4 ply on top the 1/2 in those locations

@UWSkier my buddy found it at a local marina, I learned it was a trim ring on a pedestal seat destined for some bass tracker type boat

I'm sure some may point to this thread. I had considered mbc as a location to photodoc the build, but decided on here. mbc I find a bit clouded and diluted from my specfic interests lately, due to all the umbrella models, new watersports boats but relevance to slalom is a stretch and a search.

• Baller_
If I understand correctly, you removed the wet foam beneath the floor and left it empty. Are you concerned about the loss of sound deadening or, more importantly, loss of flotation from that? Accidentally swamping the boat could turn a messy inconvenience into sinking and a complete loss.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier , valid concerns

Sound wise, experience steers me to not be concerned, as my supreme is also not cavity filled, by design, and has proven to be the quietest boat of our bunch with my other mods.

Level flotation issue, is admittedly a rationalization..

Foam always gets heavy, eventually.

There is 4" of foam under the top of the deck. so the boat will be recoverable I suspect.

I've been first to respond to a fairly new-at-the-time overturned centurion BW comp than never leveled, just the bow pointing up, the stern banged along the bottom to shore. So, it's not a sure thing level flotation is effective.

The foam that was in this boat, and many like its contemporaries today, was essentially already water. Pre sunk, if you will.

I put more air into it, so to speak.

It won't go down fast unless punctured.

Closed bow is a big plus on this model regarding stuffing it.

Gas floats...

Yes, all a calculated hamster wheel of rationalizations

Yes it may not float level all that long. but, will never bloat again either.

Replacing the foam was a serious consideration until I spoke more with other boat restorers, who seemed dismayed by their effort and temporary results, in all sorts of crafts. I didn't want to do this again on the same boat

@Ronny61 , good eye, yes plantation teak, atop 5/4 uhm, my bud says mahogany, I think it's meranti. We can call it mahogany, because he gave me those scraps from his deck project!

It is seriously solid, zero deflection even with the wide brackets and no support in the middle

So different than the springboard that it had

• Baller

I built a new platform for my 2000 Malibu SS LXI with the Plantation Teak....cost me $350 delivered to my door. The Burmese Teak would have cost me around $1800 at local hardwood store...no brainerlo2f8nzgip7y.jpg

ddc6tmx3k31y.jpg

qcwe0vjrl38u.jpg

ch50mwiiin7g.jpg

• Baller

Fins brushed, just cuz...

9q9snj1caxqk.jpg

Time for a shakedown..

It's vorking!

A few drips... Stern plug fixture, circ pump, tranny cooler, riser gaskets, and hairline crack in one muffler endcap

But, it works, even the pp activates.

Launches hard with the 515, and that was not all of it at once; easy then part throttle then a little more

Took out the muffler and ground out the crack, trying some epoxy with milled fiber and silica.

My bud took apart and soldered the cooler; leak tested, painted, no leaks

Stern plug hole was all mashed from factory. that got patched with same mix, drilled, and grooved to mate with the casting boss so it takes the torque instead of the screws, two of which had no meat behind them.

New riser gaskets, and circ pump.

Next outing will have the engine cover on, and spinning the 449. Maybe the couch also

d0o355iu2v85.jpg

zq27tm9ic4zx.jpg

ys3z4bf26rhu.jpg