Slalom ski for a little one?

Our daughter is 7 years old. She’s about 53 pounds and 48” tall. She loves snow skiing and started water skiing last summer. She’s able to get up on one and is getting into slalom skiing. She’s at camp right now so don’t know what ski she’s using, but wondering if you have recommendations for a slalom ski for her size/age. I took a quick look on couple sites and saw 2 ski sets and wondered what would be good for her to advance on. Thanks!!

• Baller
Second the TRA recs, however, 2 of my daughters were on TRA and while they skied great on it at 21-25, when it came time to learn the course at 8-9yo, and the boat speed had to come way down, it was not enough support. Both learned the course on a 65" HO CX (not sure of still made, just get a wide free-skiing ski) and then transitioned back to a more traditional profile once could run the course at 21-23 or so. Then, one went back to the TRA and the other to a 63" D3. Yes, I understand that TRA is marginally wider, but not as wide as some other entry level options that are better IMO, even for her low weight. Sinking at 15 mph isn't fun.

• Baller
The TRA is a great starter ski (that's was my boy's first ski) but if I had to do it again I'd just bite the bullet and jump right to a 63.5" Vapor. That's what I did with his cousins and they took off fast and never looked back. But it kind of depends on how bonkers they are for skiing and how much water time they are gonna get.

• Baller

TRA and a Lyric for our family, because they liked the graphics. We were only going to be free skiing.

If I was do again knowing that tournament skiing was in the future I would get a 63 D3, Radar, Connolly

• Baller
Just curious - what are you all using for bindings? My son is roughly the same age and weight (8, 50lbs), but has about a size 13 little kids foot. Don’t see him fitting in the textiles that would normally come w these skis.

• Baller
Radar Vector (preferably boa) is a great boot for kids. There is some wiggle room on sizing so you can get a boot with some room to grow without it being too sloppy and they are comfortable and light weight. My boy still uses the vector because he likes it even though I gave him the option of using a hard shell or the upgraded carbitex boot or the new super cool vapor boot. (Although he is eyeing that new vapor boot now).

• Baller

I put my little on an NOS HO Coefficient X SL 65 many moons ago.

It depends on age. She was older than yours when she made the jump to one ski.

After growing up with combos or an old EP Comp 1 I swore to put my kids on modern dedicated slalom gear…wish my parents had me on better gear but they knew no better.

Buying new gear keeps our sport/development alive. If $ is an issue i’d look to a 63/65 used slalom ski that is not a true course ski. Radar Senate/lyric or HO omni or cx are modern all rounders to consider.

Agree with other posts about the Vectors.

• Members
Once the child starts to run passes and go up in speed, I recommend a longer (for them) higher end ski. The extra length keeps them from burying the tip off the second wake and taking the kind of fall that turns them off to skiing, but the ski still turns well and still suits them as they gain weight and go faster. My daughter skied a 65” Goode 9500 then a 65” Vapor from 9 years old til 15, skiing from 23 mph to 34/32 off during that time.

• Baller
My boy started the course at 22 mph on a 63" TRA at about 80 lbs. or so; then moved to a 65" Vapor when he hit 100 lbs. or so; now he's on a 66" Vapor Pro Build and switched when he hit 135 lbs. He is currently 140 lbs and runs into 22 off 36 MPH or 28 off 34 mph. He picked up a full pass on the 65" the first set he switched and started progressing pretty quickly on it. There is no doubt the Vapors are better skis for the course.

• Baller
The camp where she’s been learning to slalom sent a picture today and show she’s learning on a Radar TRA. So that’s in line with recommendations above. We live close to a center where they demo Goode skis and May demo their junior 63” ski, though it looks like a big jump up in price

• Baller

2 pros we ski with fairly regular had us take on of our old slalom skis and cut ski down to size. my daughter is on ho A2. I used roll of duct tape as my my cutting template.

I have a 63.5 Vapor for her when she gets a littler bigger.

• Baller
21-22 seems about right. Tell him to always ski six, even if he's shadowing. My boy and his cousins started getting around 1 at first and shadowing the next five; then two and shadowing the next 4; then maybe 1, shadow, shadow, 4, shadow, 6, etc. Make sure he is getting used to always "running" the course and getting in six turns even if he's not actually going around the balls.

• Baller_
@WoodySkier at 60 lbs and the right size ski, you may be able to slow all the way down to 15 or so. I also recommend long line. Its very important that they be able to run several passes (minimum 3, 4-5 is better) before getting to the one they miss. You want to build repetition and good habits that are much easier at slower speeds.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding