Boat speed

BTheis

• Baller
Has anyone considered dropping your boat speeds earlier than the rules? I’m 63 both hips total replacement one bicep completely torn I’ve wrecked my ankle twice plus other stuff you get the idea. Not all injuries were done waterskiing. I’m seriously thinking of dropping to 32mph for some body preservation I love this sport and would hate to have to stop.

• Baller
Yep most of the people I ski with have dropped their speed ages 54 to 63 ski at 32mph. When we compete, we ski 32mph. Much easier on the body and crashes. Also no need to change skis, only thing that some people experience when they slowdown is the feeling, they sink after the turn or the ski grabs. The fix is to grab the handle a little later

• Baller_
One of the skiers in our club dropped his speed to 32 mph a few years ago. I believe he was about 55 years old then and I don't believe he had any specific injuries or surgical rebuilds. He just wanted to enjoy the sport more and, possibly, for a longer time. The Zero-Based Scoring allowed him to select that lower speed in tournaments and shorten the line without advancing his speed, while still receiving credit for the additional buoys at his selected speed. The speed change allowed him to run into shorter line lengths, which he enjoys more than the extra speed.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
I'm 64 and 2 years overdue for a new hip. 5 yrs ago I could make an occasional 34/15. Today I warm up at 30, go to32 if my body says it's ready. Rarely crash and able to go to work the next day. Really happy to run half my 32/15's these days.

• Baller
I had dropped from 36 to 34 several years before I turned 35. I don't ski tournaments so it was more about having fun and running passes than hitting my head up against the wall when I was at 36. I wasn't skiing a whole lot so it was hard to have consistency. Overall my buoy count didn't really go up so that sort of sucks but I am running more 32s than I ever had at 36 while skiing many 25% as I used to.

• Baller

At 58 with bad shoulder problems,i'm seriously considering it for all the good reasons mentionned in previous post.

Add to those reasons my lack of good technique when trying to run 35 off for the last 15 years(yep you read that right! Ran 32 off in 2007 and no 35 yet!) and the fact that living on a lake,i skied way too much sets when tired for more then 20 years and 32 mph is so much easier on my body.

May make the move soon.

Goal is to become an old skier not necessairly a good skier!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I'm 57 and just started skiing 7-8 years ago, and only serious about the course for 5 or 6. As I worked up in speed I decided to hold at 32 and start shortening there. When I have consistent time on the water I work into 28 off....run it a couple time. My back has kept my time limited so I haven't seen a 28 off in a while. But 32 is plenty fast for me. I do tournamnets at 32 with tournament pb of 2 at 28.

• Baller
At 66 still skiing 34 - because it doesn’t feel fast. Plus for many skis 32 is the low end of where they best perform, so 34 is more in the skis sweet spot for speed . Eventually may have to slow down but not yet.

• Baller_
Speed is elective but the double boot deep water start on a 67" competition ski is the my yard stick for the effects of age. Now 77, I restarted skiing at 76 years old after a 30 year rest. I ski at 32mph. Without the 30 year rest, I doubt if I would be skiing today. I am hoping I will be able to continue with double boot deep water starts until 80. I don't know if bones break easier at my age, but 32mph still feels fast enough to hurt something with the wrong type of fall. If I get strong enough to get back to skiing 35off everyday at any speed, I think my back would force me to quit again . . . In slalom, strength can be a 2 edged sword.

• Baller
@ETskier I don't have any 34mph experience to compare with. I'm sure there is a little difference at most speeds but I can't say it sucks. I probably ski most often behind a Nautique 200 which is one of the worse 22 offs, but still manage it no problem. No doubt the prostar is a lot better.... I realize that every time I take a 22of behind ours.

• Baller
I will be 64 in a couple of weeks. I thought earlier in the season that I might just stay at 32 mph. Once I got in better skiing shape I tried 34 and just found it to be too fun! Run 28 off consistently. Struggling at 32 off but having fun and as long as I don’t try to do anything too stupid I am not too concerned about getting injured.

• Baller
At some point there is a speed that is too slow for adults. It becomes too much work without enough speed, even with a bigger ski. I am a 78 year old M9 slalom skier who has been skiing at the M9 maximum speed (30mph) for three years. For reasons unknown to me I am struggling with my opener. I changed my opener from -28 to -22. That helped a little. I tried -15, but it was disastrous. I went back to -22 and dropped my speed to 28mph. I found 28mph too slow at any line length. For me 30 mph is my comfort speed. We all are individuals so experiment and find what works for you.

• Baller
Hey Guys thanks for your comments I really appreciate your input. I’m going to stick at 32 for now , just got the new ski dialed in and it feels amazing! I will probably do some 34 mph passes later in the summer.