2017 Prostar - making noise when in neutral

Jerry44

• Baller

@Jerry44 pulling the trans and replacing it. But how sticky is the neutral? Ie running in neutral if you were to press say a handle of a hammer against the trans output shaft does it easily stop? Or is it basically in forwards gear unless you are in reverse.

Two very different problems. Although it could just need the shift cable adjusted it might be just dragging in gear and therefore rattly.

• Baller

@Gloersen when this started a couple of weeks ago, I checked the prop and it needed tightening and the cotter pin was missing.

I tightened the prop and it seems like it stopped for a while but the noise started again. The prop is still tight.

• Baller

@dchristman you mean the nut "press" method? That's super common in MC world because with the velvet drive 1.5:1's there is so little room for any of the other methods.

I've also made slide hammer couplers so you pull the nut, bolt up the flanges and tappy tap tap from below - but when I do that I usually will put a block of wood between the flange and the gland nut as well to not put all the shock into the trans.

And then again heat gun heat gun heat gun penetrating fluid and wham.

• Baller

I also need help / suggestions for removing the motorbox. I don't see a way to disconnect the hinges from the floor panel.

Something I read somewhere else seemed to say to leave the motorbox connected to the floor panel.

• Baller

@Mastercrafter Thanks! Which way would you recommend? Another question... there are 4 screws in the floor panel. Are they holding the floor panel or is it just laying in there?

On my Nautiques in the past it was just laying in there.

Also looks like the fire extinguisher has to be disconnected. Is there anything special that needs to be done there?