Old boat

camnz

I have an old mastercraft pro star 190 year 2000

And I really want to convert it to zero off.

Can this be done with out a new engine?

Looking for advice.

• Baller

You’d need a new engine. Having installed a ZO Ilmor MV8 in a 1991 Prostar, in hindsight, the better route would be to use a PCM ZR409 without cats for packaging, plus you don't need an $800 throttle and $900 fuel pump with the PCM.

No offense, but I wouldn't spend the money converting that boat.

• Baller_

@Andre My son has had a 1999 197 for about 15 years. What is the nature of it's liabilities compared to the evo generation ? His motor cover upholstery is still like new, much better than my 2004 . . but that of course could be due to being on a trailer and covered most of time.

I am not questioning your comment, just curious about the nature of its reputation ?

• Baller

@swbca Lol! Just an old story of ear-said that the 98 Prostar hull had tracking problem at the AWSA test and according to different stories ended up on shore after chin locking.

Just stories though...the 98-00 Prostar always had a black eye reputation after.

But for opening poster,listen to Mastercrafter,he knows his shit about conversions and their values.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

*da da da da da da da da deathstar!*

They're not a bad boat really if you aren't on a ski lake. Its not like they take off in random directions. If you've driven a few of these boats they are all a bit different. I don't think you can find a completely original unmodified early 1998 hull.

MC added so many tweaks to these hulls that you have to look at the individual boats to see what MC added to your specific hull, they might have the fiberglass fillers in the spray pockets, they might have a winged rudder. Having driven quite a few boats that don't turn well even the worst of these boats turns better than a pontoon boat.

• Supporting Member
I have several friends with 2000 mastercrafts. They all have the wing rudder and “sponson kit” on them and all ski and drive well. If you want zero off you will need a new motor. It’s hard to say if it’s worth it or not, given the current price of boats.

• Baller_

I have a friend invited to the Sr world tounament and is a Ski Paradise coach

He has updated PP . His ski Partner has ZO. They use both boats in Practice and use settings where they can't tell the difference between boats. They are both light skiers if that makes a difference.