2018 Prostar vs 2001 Sport Nautique vs 2011 200V ?

Bionaraq

As a continuation of this thread: https://forum.ballofspray.com/discussion/27309/three-kids-and-the-ar240-just-does-not-cut-it-anymore

I was all set on a 2011 Nautique 200V, wife interested etc.

And then a local ski crew member offered that he's getting a 2023 Prostar and selling his 2018 50th Anniversary Prostar (no tower). It is substantially more than what I was even thinking of spending.

I guess my question is how usable is this as a family boat?

Should I save myself nearly 40-50k sheckles [vs Prostar], 30k [vs 200V] and buy a 1998-2001 sport Nautique instead?

In the past few weeks since the original post we have ski'd more than ever. My eldest son got to ski with the "ski crew" in their cove and join in their after ski celebrations as the newest youngest member. The amount of confidence I see growing in my usually very timid son is amazing and must be nurtured.

We also had an incident where my middle son was on a kneeboard and flipped as we were pulling him to the boat. He got stuck and despite drills to the affect. My wife jumped out to get him. She's a terrible swimmer compared to me. She nearly did not make it and he had stopped struggling when she got there. I have zero confidence in the Yamaha to zoom back to him when he's in trouble without possibly hitting him. So I had to stand there with the other two kids in horror. The wife and I both grew up on the lake and have gotten stuck ourselves. Except we were on skiboats that were able to get to within feet in seconds and get rescued as kids. As such, the middle kid has regressed to an EZ SKI and is terrified of the kneeboard and has linked it with Ski's for now.

• Baller_
Which of the disciplines are you willing to compromise (the most). If slalom is your top of the list there is no question which boat to pick. If one that desires a wake that provides lift to expose the bottom of the board one of the others would be a pick. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Members
@DW great point. Slalom has been my dream. (still struggling to get up on a single ski myself), my wife loves it, and my eldest wants to get there. Your comment makes me wonder if waiting a year or so for him to develope further would help. Or if he'd get better faster with the prostar.

• Baller

Prostar is a great boat. Only negative in my mind is the open bow is borderline worthless. It is low. If you have 3+ people in driver / observer row (which is in front of engine box / CG of boat), it sits low. Add 100+ lbs of kids up front and it gets really low.

For what you have typed, I’d pick the nautique. Or a malibu VTX like mentioned in other thread. Or malibu with tower or a SN206 if you can find one. MC214 good too, but hard to find also.

If your son keeps improving and really really wants to get serious, then you look at slalom boat or two boats.

• Baller
The way to improve in slalom (or trick or jump) is to hang around with good slalom skiers (or trickers or jumpers) and practice, a lot. And having the right equipment helps. If you want your son to have a real opportunity to improve at the sport, you need to position him in the right environment and base your decisions accordingly. And those types of decisions usually involve some sacrifices in other areas of life.

• Members

@jjackkrash valid point.

The prostar would most likely mean I sell my 2013 Boss 302 (setup for Autocross that I do with my father).

the alternative being that a 2001 Sport Nautique would let me pay off the boss and the wife's focus with the proceeds from the sale of our Yamaha.

@skimtb i've looked for the 214/x14 several times but a nationwide search only shows 3 total, all of which are half the country away to even look at.

• Baller

They're old at this time, and few and far between, but if you can find a Malibu Sunsetter LXi (2004 or older), you will have the perfect boat for your use case from what I can glean.

Prostar will be an excellent ski boat, but not a very good family boat.

• Baller
If slalom is the main focus, I would avoid any v drive. IMHO the wake at slower speeds and longer line lengths on the 200V is terrible from a course skier perspective. The wake is better at 34/36 mph at 28 off or shorter, but that’s not where you guys are at.

• Baller

I would pick what you can afford. We have two 2018 prostars on our lake and the wake is primo but not super affordable for the average boater. The 01 era Sport Nautique would be fine if it’s a direct drive. I would not recommend the 214. That is rough to ski at anything under 30 mph and would discourage your kids. I have several friends with them. The 200v would be better than the 214 I’m pretty sure.

But I would also take a look at 99-04 Sunsetter LXI (I have one) or a Response LXI.

• Members

@BraceMaker there is no course on our lake (Lake Wylie in SC/NC). A valid point but these guys are serious and we are not at that point yet. We ski after they have done all their runs in the cove so that we do not disturb the water for them. MY FIL also has a 1996 SN Body Glove. But for me it's a pride thing as well as the fact we already use his boat once a weekend to ski off. (but without my younger two so they are not getting the exposure due to size of the boat.)

@LoopSki great pictures!.

• Baller

If you are just going to stay recreational skiing and all the other water sports go with the Nautique VDrive. The extra space is great and much more family friendly.

If want to go hard on slalom cannot beet the Prostar especially at longer lines slow speeds. The Malibu Response with a Wedge is another option, a great family boat that you can actually surf behind with little added weight and still great slalom wakes. Response is similar in size to the Prostar though so not as good for space as the Vdrive.

I have a Prostar and love it, my younger kids wish I had a surf boat.

• Members

@LoopSki wait, what the hell happened to your gelcoat? it's all faded? ??

@AndersonSkiTeam that's a concern as well. I may just wait a year for the youngest to get bigger and see what the middle kids figures out he wants to do. Maybe i'll get that raise that never seems to show up. :smiley: