Back To Slalom After 18 Years

itsallyellow

Hi all,

This year I have started to ski again after 18 years of wakeboarding. I have really enjoyed it so bought myself a new ski and have been free skiing with the aim to start running the course over winter.

I have done all of this so far behind my wakeboard boat a super air Nautique 230. As you can imagine the ski wake is awful. To the point where I don’t think I can learn much.

I also have a Mastercraft X2 (205v) with an altitude plate to reduce the wake.

My question is about older ski specific boats. I don’t feel I need to have three boats, I guess if money was no object I would though. This got me thinking about getting a classic from when I grew up on the water. I was thinking along the lines of an early 80’s Master craft Stars and Stripes. Happy to replace stringers etc and make it my own. I have some classic cars and the idea of getting something from the 80’s makes buying yet another boat seem like a fun idea. The third boat will be fresh water use only with only ever the driver it it and just used to ski. The course is 100 yards from my dock.

What are these old boats like to learn on and run the course? I’m not looking to compete just be able to run the whole course at 22 off eventually. My girlfriend drives for me so that is also a consideration, I have a spare perfect pass system in the workshop so would fit that. The early boats I have seen don’t seem to have tracking fins, in my mind this is going to mean the boat is all over the place? Will these old boats have the power to pull me out comfortably (190 lbs) 6 ft 3. Or would I be better just using the 205v?

The reason I don’t want to trade the 205 for a pro star etc is that it’s my salt water use wakeboard boat.

Would’ve great to have some input from those of you who have been behind these older boats and if buying a classic could be the way forward.

ThanksMike

• Baller

The thing is that MC and Nautique both introduced new boats in the early 1990s that are far more modern than the older ones. Sort of like if you get into a Ford Mustang from the 1980s and then one from the 1990s there is a clear jump forwards in comfort.

Old stars and stripes are great boats, but its more like owning a vintage car so if you don't like the joys of older stuff don't buy one.

• Baller

Thanks for the replies,

I really like the idea of owning an old boat, the one I have in mind is an 82 MC 190. I would want it to run the course well, wouldn’t need to be able to do anything else or be comfortable as I have that in my other boats.

The lack of tracking fins is playing on my mind as well as the lack of power.

The sensible option would be a mid 90’s pro star or Nautique but they don’t tick the retro cool aspect of an early 80’s ski boat

• Baller

@itsallyellow Remember that an 80's era boat is usually carbureted and possibly running points and condenser ignition. So don't expect it to start and run like a modern fuel injected engine. Translation....sometimes a lot of cranking and constant adjusting of the carb, ignition as well as timing. My buddy's '83 ran pretty well except.....his wife could never get it to start reliably.

• Baller

80's Mastercrafts all have 3 fins.. no worries there.

I have an 85 and a 91. The 91, though still lacking compared to today' standards, has a much much cleaner wake than the 85. The 85 has rooster tails and lots of turbulence that will about take your ski out from under you, if you're not skiing through them. Much harder wake, lots more spray.

The 85 is fun and skiable, don't get me wrong, but surely wouldn't be my choice for a course boat if you want to try and make some progress. Haven't taken the 85 thru the course but the 91 is still a handful for the driver.. 85 probably worse. On the bright side, carb with electronic ign starts and runs great.. little bit of tuning and regular maintenance goes a long way.

• Baller

@2Valve

The trick is either A: buy yourself a dwell meter and set your points based on dwell not points gap. Or B: Buy a Pertronix flamethrower coil and distributor. I do not recommend the conversion kit just go whole hog and buy the set because so many of the old distributors are sloppy in the bearings.

Then for the carb either just buy a brand new carb which should last you a good 20 years in use or pay for a rebuild by someone who knows that they're doing.

Then to start the boat go to full throttle once all the way to the stop. Then bring the throttle to neutral pull out the silver knob for neutral. Then give the throttle like 2-3 pumps to the stop.

Crank the boat and pull the throttle rearwards as it catches then rev it in reverse as neeed.

Should start everytime in seconds.

• Baller

As an owner of 3 Old boats the answer is yes YOU can. Bought a 88 SN in 2001 as primarily a wakeboard boat as I got bit by the wakeboarding craze in the 90's and hung up the slalom ski. I'd break it out occasionally but not too often. In 2009 after attending the masters and watching Mapple and Bob Lapoint ski head to head and shreading the course well into "retirement"; I thought maybe I should pick up a slalom again. Best decision I ever made regarding watersports. Free skied the mostly as a course wasn't available. Added a 72' Mustang to the mix and continued to ski behind it as well. Both boats not exactly the best wake to slalom behind but did teach me EDGE thru the wake. If you can ski behind those two boats....then you can ski behind anything. 2020 opened a new chapter in my life as I moved to the lake and actually into a cove where my neighbors raise a course on Monday and drop it on Friday. Got into course skiing 2 years ago religiously and have ever since. Got spoiled by skiing behind a 03 SN 196 and mid 2000 Malibu responses. Man what a difference in wake size as compared to the 72' and 88' SN that I have. One neighbor who is 68 is capable of running 28' off @ 32mph behind HIS 88' SN. First time I ran 6 was behind my 88'SN @ 15'@30mph. At 54 years old I was excited to say the least. Since then I added a 99 SN to the fleet and it's my bonafide Ski tug. To date I've only run 22' @ 30 mph once. Still at it everyday trying to improve but to answer your question in a Long Story. Yes you can! Key is edging thru the wake. If you get flat over the "hump" you'll get your bell rung for sure. Hope this helps you find the answer you're searching for. Ski Hard, Ski Daily but have fun first!

• Baller_

Look at the 86 ProStar, preferably with the Power Slot. Master Craft headlined the 86 as the "first no wake ski boat" I personally like the rainbow better than stars. In spite of its poor tracking compared to later boats, it is still the favorite of all the ski boats I have had. We skied 35off short line behind this boat for years and bad tracking wasn't something that ever came to mind . . even though we had just traded from an 84 Nautique because of its wake. Spray was a problem in a head wind.

Not important but it handled like a racing hull. Very little roll with turns and it could take a 90 degree turn at speed on a dime without burning off a lot of speed. It weighs 2200 lbs compared to 2600 for the ProStar 190.

With the PowerSlot there is another unimportant but cool detail. From shore the boat sounded like a military assault boat. The resonance of the Power Slot mechanics and prop in this light weight hull made a lower register sound that was distinctive for any ski boat. We were at a beach in Jamaica when my wife said "I hear our boat" There was a resort nearby using 86 Prostars.

kxui7pkv4tct.png

• Baller

@ETskier is correct. Powerslot introduced in 81. @itsallyellow - yes the old stars & stripes are like the classic corvettes of ski boats. New stuff runs circles around them but can’t touch them on cool . For a purely recreational skier skiing -32 or less they’re a very solid slalom tug , and again look way cooler than about anything else built since. Let me know where you live. I have an 83 SS that I need to divest ( with powerslot).

• Baller

MC did a anniv edition option for the 93. Metal flake (blue or red, for the most part) and stars. They are hard to come by, but that maybe would get you optimum wake and still have some retro feel.

Another option would be to buy any 91-94 Prostar and add stars or have it wrapped to clone the ‘93.

The 80’s boat wood for sure be cool though.

Most folks are saying wake is better 90’s and newer. My concern with the 80’s boat would be you would put some (or a lot) work into something, get more serious about skiing, ski something else (friend / ski school / etc), and then want a 91+ boat.

Coming from the nautique wake boat they will all be nice. Just a matter of time. For now, the 205v (empty) would surely be better than the nautique if that is convenient.

And, welcome back (to skiing)!

• Baller

Really appreciate all your input.

Actually went down the course yesterday behind a friends Nautique 200, 4th time up on the ski, needless to say lots of work to be done on my skills! Managed to get three boys but probably need to take a step back and try to splash them all I guess. Also need to work on my fitness!

I think I have decided I will either be buying an early 80’s Mastercraft or a post 2011 boat, depends what comes up for sale over winter.

Thanks all

• Baller

So today I picked up this boat to add to the the collection. 1981 SS a rare thing over here in the UK. Have always wanted one so made sense as my first actual Ski boat. Love how retro it is. Has had the stringers done already but obviously needs some tidying up and I will add perfect pass next week.

hytieukmtmuv.jpeg

Just hope I like the wake!!

Mike

• Baller

At least in the US they started that square windshield partway thru 82 and I’m not certain when the gauge pod was added versus the instrument panel being molded into the top deck.

Most European MCs are a couple years later as far as the design changes go, but who knows when this boat was sent over.

Pic of the instrument panel / gauges?

• Baller

That brushed aluminum instrument panel is typically only found in 1984-1985 boats, but you do have the earlier style airguide speedos.

Are you motor mounts bolted right to the stringers, or does it have the large steel angle brackets?

What’s the HIN on the back say? Last two digits are the year.

Regardless.. awesome boat!

• Baller

At least in the US they started that square windshield partway thru 82 and I’m not certain when the gauge pod was added versus the instrument panel being molded into the top deck.

Boats as early as the 1980 LTD had the squared windshield. I can't seem to figure out any reason why some boats had the round and other had square. It seemed the high end boats in the early 80s had the square glass windshield (LTD, highly optioned models, etc) as it was likely more expensive than the round plexiglass windshield.

• Baller

I've never seen or found any pictures of a 1981 with the squared windshield, but more telling is the dash panel. The 81 style was completely different and molded into the dash. You couldn't just replace it with the completely different pod type from the later years. Really don't think the above boat is an 81. toqlczkh450z.jpg