Help with Master Craft trailer hitch - no vertical adjustment to tighten down on 2" ball.

swbca

• Baller_

2004 Master Craft TrailerThe 2" ball fits well in the hitch (nothing larger would fit) but it has about 1/4" vertical play that bangs around when going over any kind of bump. I don't see any vertical adjustment to eliminate vertical play.e5b4dknoz0i1.jpg

• Baller_

@ScottScott Its the ball. With the ball in my hand and with the hitch secured, the ball moves up and down 1/4". By looking up from underneath I could also see that the 2" ball is an exact fit for the width of the hitch and that the "latch" mechanism has 1/4" clearance under the ball when it's latched.

All other trailer hitches I have had could be adjusted so the hitch doesn't crash up and down when driving over bumps. The trailer is 18 years but was only used for driving to/from annual local storage.

• Baller

Did this issue creep in over time or has it always been like that?

Looks odd in terms of how pushed in the front of hitch is based on the pic - that probably why you got the question on there being no brake fluid in it. Brake lines do rust out on old trailers that are dunked frequently.

Have you tried a different ball just to eliminate that as the issue? After that you might have to replace the actuator. Never had to “adjust” the latching mechanism on the 3 different trailers I had over the years.

• Baller_

The trailer brakes work correctly . . . I think I just found the bigger reason for the vertical clashing over bumps. The trailer hitch ball mount has play in it where is slides into hitch assembly on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The same ball mount fit tight on the prior jeep. I put a temporary spacer into that connection the problem mostly went away.

thanks for you feedback

• Baller

@swbca can you find any markings on the coupler or trailer hitch mechanism regarding the make or model? Last time I looked Mastercraft was using Phoenix to make their trailers. Phoenix uses UFP mechanicals, the picture you shared of the coupler doesn’t look like the typical UFP A-60 which uses a 2-inch ball. Knowing what coupler you have would rule out the ball size.

Also how old is your trailer ball? Might want to check its diameter, they are a wear item should be replaced if their diameter is below specifications. Most of the newer couplers are not adjustable, I’m not sure I would be comfortable with 1/4” of play between the ball and coupler.

Glad you ruled out one area of play on the receiver. That can cause damage as well if left unchecked.

• Baller_

@Wayne I just found the Hitch Owners Manual in the Master Craft leather bound portfolio that came with the boat.

The drawings include the latch mechanism that holds the hitch down to the ball and it has no adjustment feature. The ball has a tight fit for the size of hitch but it still is vertically loose. It mostly annoying when the trailer is empty.

44qhj1i7w9xl.png