save the trees

Jody_Seal

• Baller

When I was about 12 years old I was at the Minneapolis Boat Show and saw a display with the full line of Saucier skis.  

As a kid using 1/2 a pair of Montgomery Wards jr wood combos with white vinyl binding as a slalom ski, the Saucier graphics, bright colors, and color bindings made me feel like I was looking at something from outer space.  And they had this cut out indent running along the length of the bottom.

I never did see anyone ski on one. 

• Baller

I had a Saucier slalom that I skied ok on for my level at the time. The guys that skied really well on them Dave Saucier would personally tune their skis while watching them. People Like George Athans, Camille Duval and Cory skied on them to name a few. I still have a pair of the Saucier tricks I ski on occasionally and a pair of Kahuna Jumpers that came from Saucier molds I believe.

• Baller

A little off topic, but I wonder what happened to Dave's Mastercraft in the distinctive Saucier colors... Hank Longo bought it from Dave but I think sold it after the tragic death of his driver.  If I remember correctly, it had a 440 CI Chrysler engine so it had a lot of power for jumping.  We ended up with the Saucier jump but sold it to the River Rats show club who somehow let it float over a dam on the   Mississippi.  A friend has one of the few Saucier hockey sticks that were made- at the time $26 was considered just way too expensive.  Like his jumpers the sticks were unbreakable but too heavy.

• Baller_

@Nando

well! I have the back story on Hanks Mastercraft. I bought it in about 97 or 98 from Hank. 

I did not want my employer at the time to know I had bought the boat. nor my wife! So I Stored it in a very discrete storage lot near where my shop was off Anno Ave in Orlando. 

I knew that the boat had historic value as well as cool value as it sported a 440 Chrysler marine power plant.  thought it would be a great project and fun boat to restore. Sadly about a year later  someone else needed it worse then me. stolen out of the yard.

about 2 years later I seen it on a used boat lot basically in the same condition as when I stored it. went in, asked and inquired about it. the guy had all the proper documentation on it (title). funny! so did I! went back the next day with a sherriff buddy to retrieve it only to have some one in the buisness not speaking English and the boat was gone.

I still have the the title if anyone comes across the boat. 

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 4

• Baller

@Jody_Seal- wow- that's interesting- pretty conspicuous boat to keep incognito.  For those who have no idea of what it was, it was in the trademark Saucier colors- orange and magenta, so not exactly subtle.  @thager, you're right- it was a beast and seemed to track better than the average MC of the era, maybe due to the weight of that beast of an engine.  @Jody_Sealdid it have 2 or 3 carbs?  I don't think it was exactly a stock engine...

• Baller_

@NandoNando i really don't remember on the carb situation on that engine. I believe there were two of these boats ordered maybe even three,,

the boat was very faded out from years in the Florida sun. oxidized deck had the crinkle non skid surface and was badly deteriorated when I purchased it from sir Hank..

I think it was an inside job from the storage yard..