Seeking advice on what boat to get

footnote22

• Baller

I've been lurking for a long time and have read lots of requests for advice on selecting a boat. I'm about to add to the congestion--apologies. I have a consideration I have not seen mentioned previously. My boat will be kept in a boathouse. The slip length is 21'7" (I have to be able to close the overhead door to keep sunlight off my antique boat in the next slip). I have an overhead lift so the boat will be out of the water unless it is in use. Use will be for water skiing and cruising. Any wakeboarding will be at the beginner level and not the least bit aggressive. I have not skied in quite a few years due to hip replacement and rotator cuff surgeries (both shoulders). 

I am a recreational skier and will never be in competition. There is a course on my public lake and I will likely use it some (to gauge my proficiency--not to compete) but mostly free skiing. Never having had a true ski boat--only skied behind outboards--I can't tell you how fast I ski. Have only skied long line. My budget is in the $20-25,000 range, at least until I find out how well an inboard fulfills my dreams. I'm in Florida for the winter but would take the boat back to the Adirondacks in a couple of months when I go back for the summer. 

In all the years I've been skiing and teaching others to ski I've encountered two accidents--a broken femur (my nephew) and a dislocated shoulder (mine). In both situations a swim platform was instrumental in getting the injured skier back into the boat and back to shore. In the (admittedly/hopefully) unlikely event of another serious injury it seems to me that the swim platform is an important safety feature, but a swim platform adds at least 18" to the overall length of a boat (remember, I'm limited to 21'7" overall). I had also wanted an open bow but am reconsidering that. To make a closed bow more useful for cruising, I've asked a local marine upholstery shop for a quote on removing the observer seat and replacing it with a swiveling captain's chair (any thoughts/tips/experience with that would be very helpful). 

I had hoped to be able to get a Response Lxi or maybe even an SSLxi but measurement of the slip length today rules those out unless I remove the platform, which, for the reason described above, I'm reluctant to do. Other thoughts had been a Nautique Sport/Air or a Prostar 205. Now I'm thinking a closed bow, especially if I can replace the observer seat with a swiveling captain's seat, would be acceptable. A couple of very clean boats (not interested in projects--I have enough of those already) have caught my eye: a 2002 Nautique 196 for $18,000 and a 2002 Bu Sportster for $20,500 (open bow but with that horrible step-over dash--whose brilliant idea was that?). There is also a nice looking 1995 Ski Nautique for $19,500 (in VT which would make getting it home easier but no way to inspect the boat quickly--besides it seems way overpriced).

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks. 

• Baller

The overall length of a 196 is 21' 2" and a 206 is 22' 4"  (open bow).  Either boat will meet your boat house requirements.  For your needs, the 2002 196 seems like a very good option although doubt it is much of a wake board boat.  That said, the 196 is still, to this day, considered one heck of a slalom tug.  I ski @ 34 mph with a 28 off opener, so cannot address long line wakes.  Good luck with your search.

• Baller

That 196 would be an awesome boat for what you described. You'll be surprised how infrequently you actually use the front of an open-bow boat. The wakes for the skiing will be AMAZING, the wakeboarding will be okay-ish, and it is a Nautique (you'll understand after owning one). 

• Like 1

• Baller

The 2002 196. I own one. Even after owning a 2014 Prostar (which I wish I still had) that 02 is still the best boat I’ve ever owned. As for Nautiques, I’ve owned a 93, 95, 97, 98, 01, and the 02. Nothing “wrong” with the 94-96 but the 97 and up 196’s were just so much better. Beginner wakeboard stuff is fine behind one, and you could weight the hell out of it (I’ve seen a local idiot do it) and the wake could be brought up, but it doesn’t sound like that’s your thing.

Get the current Perfect Pass. It’s definitely worth it. I upgraded mine to Zero Off, but it’s totally unnecessary for your purposes. Perfect Pass makes driving skiers on open water easy, and even cruising much more enjoyable.

• Like 3

• Baller

Thanks for the prompt responses. The information is very helpful. I am going to see the 196 on Saturday; about 800 hours on the clock. The seller is out of the country at the moment but his friend who's helping sell it also has a 196 and tells me the ride is decent when there are whitecaps on the lake. Can anyone confirm this?  

I wasn't aware of the ProSport--that's exactly what I would like but I have found none on the market anywhere. If you know of any, please let me know. I'm guessing it wasn't popular and for that reason was quickly discontinued. However, the existence of the ProSport makes me more confident that I can replace the observer seat with a swiveling captain's chair with the help of a capable and imaginative upholsterer. I did have another thought--I'd be willing to have a good fiberglass shop cut 12" off the front of a ProStar 205 and reshape/refinish it. Would probably look a bit funky but shouldn't change the performance and would get me the clearance I need in the boathouse. I'd also be willing to cut down the length of a teak swim platform--though I would not eliminate it. But the 196 will likely serve me. 

• Baller

ETskier: Thanks for the question. The antique is a 1912 Fay & Bowen Special 25' that my grandparents bought new at the New York boat show. It was repowered in about 1950 with a 4 cyl. Graymarine Sea Scout 92 (25 hp). That was a big change--it has electric start! Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a picture so here is a link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpes_3AuZpE/

• Like 2

• Baller

@footnote22i have a Mint condition 2014 Centurion Carbon Pro, amazing wakes, amazing condition, very well kept. It’s a little above your price range, but worth it in my opinion. Feel free to message me for my # if you have any questions. As far as changing the observer seat to a swivel??? No, no, no! For many many reasons. My boat is 21.6” overall. 

I believe a Martinique used to have a swivel seat. 

143ABF1D-85EE-4795-A457-E04A4383056A.jpeg

ADA6DA44-0E9C-4B0E-B6A0-E6277DDC5615.jpeg

A2B3D391-EA05-4B9A-9078-10D14A1EBAB8.png

59CD97B1-02D2-48E7-BBA9-FE779DA54979.jpeg

238F530B-AA87-4B8D-AF05-7DE5FB9622F0.png

• Like 3

• Baller

Changing the seat to swivel is major construction, not just upholstery. There'd be way more fiberglass and structural work involved than there would be upholstery. 

We do plenty of cruising and never once has anyone wished the observer seat was forward - facing. 

Another option that would be sub-$10 and likely fit your boat house, though not a "real" ski boat" would be an open-bow TriStar 190. I owned once for a while and it was a cool little boat.. swivel front seat, open bow, and I got one in good shape with 500 hours for $5600.. then almost immediately resold it for $8000 🙂

• Baller_

Have you considered buying the boat you want (LXi or SSLXi) and spending some money to convert the platform to a folding option that will allow you to fit inside the boathouse without removing it?  It's some engineering and fabrication, but it could be a workable solution.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 2

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@footnote22I have a 2007 196, and it is used on a chain of public lakes. I personally think it stinks for cruising, especially in whitecaps. I'd rather not go out, than take the 196 out in whitecaps  We bought a pontoon boat for cruising a few years ago, and haven't used the 196 since for that purpose. I like to cruise at 8-12 mph. Not too fast, not too slow. With the 196 it's either at 4-5 mph or 18-20. Anything in between is just plowing through the water, and very loud if you want to talk to anyone. Then again, if it's your only option, it will work just fine. 

It'll work. Just don't want you to think it's "decent" in whitecaps like the guy told you. 

Edited by tjs1295
  • Like 3

• Baller

I did have another thought--I'd be willing to have a good fiberglass shop cut 12" off the front of a ProStar 205 and reshape/refinish it. Would probably look a bit funky but shouldn't change the performance and would get me the clearance I need in the boathouse. 

I would install some drop down platform brackets wayyyyyy before I start destroying the value of the boat by going to town like Dr. Frankenstein.

• Like 3

• Baller
2 hours ago, MDB1056 said:

who wants to be out in whitecaps for anything???

In a ski boat, no. In a pontoon or fishing boat, sure. I'd miss out on a lot of fishing and cruising if I didn't go out in whitecaps. Anyway, I might have misread the original question. The 196 is fine in waves if you need to get from point A to B. If out for a leisurely afternoon cruise with friends/family in rougher water, I don't think it'd be much fun.

• Baller

Does your setup might prevent you from walking around the back of the boat to remove a platform? Simply pull two pins and the platform on Response LXi just lifts off. Easy as to do. We love our LXi and won't part with it. The open bow, or more particularly the walkthrough is so good for easy boat access. It's very rare we actually have anyone sitting in there. 

• Baller

@BroussardAll I can visualize is one of those Heydey boats.

White caps are relative you can get white caps on a private ski lake with enough wind, you can have waves over 1.5 feet with no curls on big enough water the bigger the water the larger the waves before they curl.  What body of water are you on?

Another option would be to convert the boat out to a flexible door or to put a divider inside the boat house so the ski boat can be there with the door open.  If you just want a UV barrier something roll down would work fine between the two boats.

• Baller

Similar to the Response, where the platform can be easily removed. Many Prostar platforms also have a couple of pins that are very simple to remove and the entire swim platform will pivot down and give you the extra room you are looking for.

• Baller

Having owned a Prostar 197 and a SN 196, I would say that the Nautique "rides" a bit better in roughish water. No ski boat is made for the big water on a large lake but Nautiques do cut through the waves and ride smoother then the flat bottoms of MC and Bu's.

PS: Buy the 196, they are amazing boats and very well made!

• Baller

Back end of the boat will be toward the lake, on a lift, in 10' deep water, so no access to the back of the boat to pull the platform or pins. I like the idea of a folding platform. Good idea. Thanks. I see there is some hardware available to do that though if I get this 196 I won't need to do it.  

Thanks for the link to that ProSport. I just sent a message and will follow up on that. 

• Baller

Owned a 2000 SN 196 for 10 years--whitecaps not.  Structurally sure that thing is built like a brick--so solid.  But the ride--no and you will get wet while you go thru them at 10 mph.

Beware of a sale with the "owner out of the country"--common scam.  

• Like 1

• Baller

have a ‘92 ProSport 205, bought new and used exclusively on public water. The 205’s were a great option for an open bow tournament type boat back in the day. The slalom wakes are very close to the PS 190’s of that era. I guess they were pretty good for wakeboarding too, as they were used for the wakeboarding exhibition on the “pro tour”.  Great family boat, but horrible in rough water. 

2D73C81B-CB2B-47F0-A506-D69B5C777F28.jpeg

Edited by hacker
  • Like 2

• Baller

My friend has a boat where the platform is a little long for his doors to shut. He installed a cantilever lift positioned so that the bow of the boat moves up and slightly over the dock in front. It's enough that his plaform is out of the way of the door when the boat is in the up position.

• Baller

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post. Although it may appear I've been MIA, I've actually been looking hard and finally have a 2000 Nautique 196 under contract. I listened to what you advised and am getting a closed bow. A little work to be done on it but hull, rub rail, interior (except for engine box) look really good. GT40 engine. PerfectPass, though not powering up at the moment (I suspect a poor ground connection). Needs a steering cable. Nice single axle trailer with new bearings--I'll be towing it about 1000 miles before dropping it in the water in Saranac Lake, NY. The trailer is interesting--has a removable tongue (not folding). I hadn't seen that before. 

• Like 2

• Baller

Now I have another question. How many bunks, size, length, spacing, and orientation should I put on the lift for the 196? It is a cable lift, suspended from the boathouse ceiling. Nautique says they have no information on this.