Dog House insulation materials

swbca

• Baller_

About a year ago on BOS, some very nice Dog House insulation jobs were shown.  Can't find the old posts.  My boat is apart now and the old open foam unsulation material is brittle and falling off in pieces.

So who found a good self adhesive product for this ?  

• Baller

search eBay for "Heat Shield Insulation Car Sound Deadener"

Photo attached of mine after I used the self-adhesive mat from there.  It's much quieter than the original in my MC.  Thought I would have to use additional adhesive, but did not and it's held up fine for several seasons already.  I used a wallpaper roller to push it down.  Also used foil tape for the seams.

AMWts8BLro42z9cpSiA655N11B5wie1YhBkEyRlz

• Like 3

• Baller

@swbca Thanks!  I did start trying to make paper templates, but ended up winging it.  It was easier to just run a strip straight down the middle, as close to end to end as I could, then fit in the rest.  I have a couple of in-process pics.  Will post them, if you think they'll help.

• Baller_

@BobF I have the layout figured out. Its the center piece like you said, the two sides and then a little strip across the front.  4 pieces total.

Question: Did you have to scrape or otherwise prep the fiberglass ?  Mine has bumpy residue from the old dried up foam.    

Edited by swbca

• Baller

@swbca I did scrape/brush mine out first, and it was pretty clean before I started.  My old insulation had degraded so much that I didn't need to use any other cleaners on it.   I don't know if the 21 sq ft will be enough, based on my experience.  I ordered two of that size, and didn't have much left over.

• Baller
15 hours ago, Hucklefin said:

My boat has never had any insulation in the dog house, how much of a difference does it really make?

Did mine a few years ago and it went from observer shouting to talking, ears ringing after 8hrs driving to hearing the water breaking off the bow.

2 weeks ago I measured mine at 105db out the back and 95db in the drivers seat. I remade by original silentmaster silencers on the 205, after the impeller went a couple of years ago they melted internally and I'd been running twin 3.5" straight through.

Put the two underfloor silentmasters back in, bitumen type sound deadening directly on the inside face of the motorbox, with a second layer of 1" acoustic foam. Now it's 60db in the drivers seat and 65db on the back. It's that quiet you can talk (loudly) to the skier and hear their reply and talk normally to someone in the back seat. That's running 16-20mph for the kids and 32mph for me.

so 95db to 60db in the drivers seat.

• Like 3

• Baller
9 hours ago, chrislandy said:

Did mine a few years ago and it went from observer shouting to talking, ears ringing after 8hrs driving to hearing the water breaking off the bow.

so 95db to 60db in the drivers seat.

95 to 60db with 1" acoustic foam, 2nd layer of sound deadening, and re-adding mufflers (which most likely had the biggest impact).. But point taken. Thanks.

• Baller
13 hours ago, Hucklefin said:

95 to 60db with 1" acoustic foam, 2nd layer of sound deadening, and re-adding mufflers (which most likely had the biggest impact).. But point taken. Thanks.

Yes and no, the difference between running the engine even on tickover with cover up, cover down (no insulation) and cover down (with insulation) was remarkable, even quieter when driving. I'm guessing it stops any low frequency standing waves and resonances from the engine, attenuates the higher frequencies (pulley noise, air intake, injectors etc)  better seal on the intersection of the cover and deck, it all adds up.

It was definitely worth doing, and being an engineer I had to measure things too 😉

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, chrislandy said:

Yes and no, the difference between running the engine even on tickover with cover up, cover down (no insulation) and cover down (with insulation) was remarkable, even quieter when driving. I'm guessing it stops any low frequency standing waves and resonances from the engine, attenuates the higher frequencies (pulley noise, air intake, injectors etc)  better seal on the intersection of the cover and deck, it all adds up.

It was definitely worth doing, and being an engineer I had to measure things too 😉

As an engineer I would have guessed you would have taken measurements after each addition of sound deadening to determine the deltas, instead of all at once! Just kidding by the way, I am going to try the insulation. You know how you can tell when someone is an engineer? They tell you! Source: I'm also an engineer.

• Haha 1

• Baller
17 hours ago, Hucklefin said:

As an engineer I would have guessed you would have taken measurements after each addition of sound deadening to determine the deltas, instead of all at once! Just kidding by the way, I am going to try the insulation. You know how you can tell when someone is an engineer? They tell you! Source: I'm also an engineer.

Ha! I would have, but the boat was 100 miles from a lake when I did the work!

• Like 1

• Baller

Sometimes with the old stuff the easy way is crushed dry ice and a putty knife.  Dump the ice on an area let sit about a minute brush the ice to a new area and scrape.  It makes the old stuff hard and brittle so it breaks off in junks.  

Anyway just a thought for you as you work on this stuff.

• Like 2