Looking for D3 NRG R3 feedback

mattmiller

• Baller

I won one last year from picking the podium on the Water Ski Broadcast and while the 68" is too short for me, my training partner who normally skis a 67" DV8 jumped on it at basically stock settings and was getting deep 38 off at 34 mph with it after a slight tweak.  I think we shallowed it up a fuzz, but not sure on that.  

He was an old D3 skier for years until he went to the DV8.   He gave it the thumbs up for sure.  

The guy who is skiing on it is my son in law who is about 185-190, was on my old 67" 9500, and he said it turns and grabs angle a lot better.  

I only wish they made a 69", but I am working on getting down to 68" weight!

Buy one, it is a good ski.

• Like 1

• Baller

First set on demo R3 at Swiss.  67 inch, all stock settings, skiing at 34 mph on C2 behind Ski Nautique.  First pass free skied down the lake to get a feel.  Then 28 off, 3 x 32 off, 35 off, then 2 shots at 38. (missed them both) Initial impression was a VERY confidence building ski.  As one gains trust with more passes, ski rolls on edge very well, fast cross course speed and very symmetrical turns both on and off side.  As with most skis, it does favor a skier neutral position and it is better to be over the front than on the back.   When you get late with too much speed and need to crank a turn, there is no chance of blowing the tail.  

Second set:  my lake behind 196 Nautique on C2 @ 34 mph.  Head/tail wind.  2 x 28, 2 x 32, 1 x 35, 2 x 32.  Liked the ski even more with more passes on it.  Was more aggressive on it and the ski, while really smooth and consistent, with more aggression, worked very well too.

Summary:  Very versatile ski, fast, predictable, consistent on and off-side turns, rolls on edge very well.  Very high end ski with fantastic build quality.  

While there are subtle differences in skis...and skier technique, all the top manufacturers are making such great products.  It is a testament to all the ski designers and manufactures that a skier can jump on one of their skis and run into 38 off, on stock settings on a first set.  (I bought a Works 01 and ran 5 @ 38 on it in the first set, again, all stock settings).

A tip of the hat to Bill P. and Performance for allowing me to demo the ski.  Performance is truly so passionate about doing all they can for folks into water sports.  Can't say enough good things about 'em!  

• Like 4

• Baller

@jnan66I am 180 lbs ski at 34 and currently trying a friends 66" R3 and from what I feel with the ski you should get a 67.  I currently ride an R1 and the R3 to me feels just as fast and not faster since I am a bit heavy for it.  The ski also is a bit more work than my R1 but it does turn my offside a bit better.  If I were to get an R3 I would definitely be on a 67.  You will also not feel as guilty having that dessert or few extra beers since a few more pounds will not penalize you.  I have also felt it is easier to make a larger ski feel smaller verses the other way around.