Original ? HO CDX-1

JReed

Guys

I ski on a 2001? cdx that I bought brand new. I ski all open water now so its fine and great for me.  I recently bought another CDX 1 as backup, from ebay. It was cheap. When it arrived I find it is an early version before they used the original HO standard threaded insert pattern and binding plates. 

Finally the question: does anyone remember the era of these early non standard cdx skis?

When did HO introduced the standard binding plate/threaded insert?

also, I seem to remember talk of the original cdx's having a different carbon fiber layup? this ski does feel just a bit heavier. I am planning to add threaded inserts that will align with the plates on my animal bindings. any info greatly appreciated. thanks.

I will try and post an image of the ski. I just have to figure out how to do it.

• Baller

I still have an original 1998 CDX-1 that is on the rack . They are one of the best looking skis ever made in my opinion. The CDX-1 was actually made through 2000 but it had new graphics in 2000 with a flame pattern . I had one of those also.After 2000 it was branded just CDX.  They do have the old style insert pattern that was used by most manufacturers up until I want to say 2003 or 04? As the CDX  was still produced at that time the insert pattern then changed to the current pattern. Plates also changed on bindings of course to accommodate. Yes the originals were also much heavier skis as prior to the industry move to PVC and carbon .  Some of my best passes ever were on a CDX1

Edited by MDB1056

• Baller

Back in the day, HO had the original snow ski boot style where the rubber was clamped in from the sides rather than from the top like everybody else (aka Wiley horseshoe style). The CDX 1 was HOs answer to Goode.   Their bindings morphed into the HO97s and then 98s. Their hole patterns were unique to HO until the Animals came out.  My wife's 2001 came with new HO 98 bindings. I believe there is enough backing underneath you can put inserts in to work with the newer standard binding plate everybody went with.  I still have her attached fin and front binding locations and tuning spec sheet. Hope this helps.

1682907441149403376104.jpg

16829075019641236939960.jpg

• Administrators

@JReed The CDX was a great ski at the time but you would likely enjoy a modern ski a lot more. Things have changed a lot all for the better.  

• Baller

I have a like new original VHS of this video that was sold with any of the skis when new in 98. Hoping to connect with Wade somewhere on the tour circuit this year to get the ski and VHS autographed.  

• Baller

That video is wild.  "Stand with your weight back, tip high...etc"

Most of the time the water is breaking near the skier's back foot.

The CDX was a great ski for tail turners.  I rode one in my formative years.  Wonder if that is in small part why I have such a hard time riding my front foot like modern skis prefer.

• Like 1

MDB

Thanks for the info on the ski. Based on what you've said. my original ski is a 2000 then, upgraded flame graphics cdx-1, came with first gen animal boots. I will try out that original version I got from ebay once summer finally arrives in the northeast. It will be interesting to see how the 98-99 version compares..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/119gr1XF6WZ5vKsTfRjBgADVjQiMoEiha/view?usp=share_link

• Baller

I bought one of the originals (coming from a Stiletto). Locked in and very fast across the wakes.  Turned…. eventually, sort of. I sold it after a month.  

Absolutely a great looking ski. 

47B06901-61DC-4F8E-B2E4-708B4C71F5D0.jpeg

2B299969-98AA-4AF0-8DEF-A7F0F9C45EE9.jpeg

Edited by skibrain

• Baller

@skibrain great pics. @JReed top pic is original 98, lower is 2000 . Bottom graphic on original was great/ blue fade in, more checkered flag, Adrenaline, . Have to see it in person to appreciate.  @skibrain mine would absolutely crank turns . As I still have an original and the VHS I feel like I need to keep the history together. Can’t be more than a few of the tapes still out there . 

• Baller

@JReed if you are using first gen front animal… plates are interchangeable. All you need is a plate from an older boot that matches the ski’s hole pattern. Have done this back then and have done the opposite lately, put a new HO plate to an animal with the old hole pattern. 
by the way, I also have the VHS tape that came with the ski and still have a checkered cdx1. I remember that pulling out on your back foot tip…

• Like 1

Guys

Thanks for all the info on the early cdx 1.  Not sure why I couldn't figure out how to post a pic.

MDB, if you get a chance please put up an image of your 98 cdx-1, my ebay version looks slightly different than the one ski brain put up. so maybe its a 99? also, really appreciate the info on zeroing out the ski fin and boots to factory specs. The ebay ski came to me setup far from stock.

• Baller
2 hours ago, JReed said:

Guys

Thanks for all the info on the early cdx 1.  Not sure why I couldn't figure out how to post a pic.

MDB, if you get a chance please put up an image of your 98 cdx-1, my ebay version looks slightly different than the one ski brain put up. so maybe its a 99? also, really appreciate the info on zeroing out the ski fin and boots to factory specs. The ebay ski came to me setup far from stock.

The 1998 is on top in the previous pic.  The 2000 is on bottom.  In 2002, they started calling it the CDX and the flames were red and silver, with the CDX lettering centered on the ski, in black IIRC.

Post a picture of your ebay version.