ZO issue

usaski1

• Baller

The ZO in my 2016 MC is flakey. I’ve detected 3 states. One, where everything is fine and works normal. Two, the ZO doesn’t engage, and it doesn’t find any satellites. Sometimes all the numbers on the screen are zeros. Three, the ZO will not engage, and I cannot change the speed on ZO. The two arrow buttons are not present. When either 2 or 3 happen I can sometimes fix it by turning off the master switch and letting it sit for a few moments. 

• Baller

My 14 had the screen go bad and would do a lot of what you are talking about. Someone called it ghost touches. The dealer (who I won’t mention or ever buy so much as a canoe from) was an ass. The boat wasn’t quite 3 years old. Wanted $4,000 for a new screen. Local dealer took care of me. Due to the age of your boat, you could be looking at a $4k screen. It controls pretty much all the ZO functions. Hopefully it’s the puck

• Baller

Sadly, I am also having issues with our 2014 Prostar screen, as it too is ghosting at times....doing things all on its own. While 2014, the boat only has 220 hours on it. I called Mastercraft and they said to try reaching out to a dealer and maybe they can write in a letter for Goodwill. Noting that we bought the boat used privately last year, it may be a stretch but hoping we have luck. $4000. + Is a big nut.

• Baller
5 hours ago, motoxr said:

Sadly, I am also having issues with our 2014 Prostar screen, as it too is ghosting at times....doing things all on its own. While 2014, the boat only has 220 hours on it. I called Mastercraft and they said to try reaching out to a dealer and maybe they can write in a letter for Goodwill. Noting that we bought the boat used privately last year, it may be a stretch but hoping we have luck. $4000. + Is a big nut.

I find mine does that when the screen gets too hot from the sun, then settles back down once cooled.

I'm surprised MC and the others don't have a sun screen or cover for it like 99% of other marine screens

• Baller
3 hours ago, chrislandy said:

I find mine does that when the screen gets too hot from the sun, then settles back down once cooled.

I'm surprised MC and the others don't have a sun screen or cover for it like 99% of other marine screens

Thanks for the post, will see if that can be a factor for us.

• Baller

There is a 2017 at our lake that had weird issues as well that could be described as ghost touches. Speeds would change without anyone touching the buttons. 70 mph was actually on the screen. It was a MC screen issue, not the ZO. I don’t recall if it was a new screen or a software update.

• Baller

With everything I have read on the subject. It appears that a new screen/ unit is required. Sadly, it's expensive.

Noting how common this issue has been, it would be great if MC would enact a recall.  🤞

• Baller
On 5/4/2023 at 1:26 PM, usaski1 said:

The ZO in my 2016 MC is flakey. I’ve detected 3 states. One, where everything is fine and works normal. Two, the ZO doesn’t engage, and it doesn’t find any satellites. Sometimes all the numbers on the screen are zeros. Three, the ZO will not engage, and I cannot change the speed on ZO. The two arrow buttons are not present. When either 2 or 3 happen I can sometimes fix it by turning off the master switch and letting it sit for a few moments. 

The symptom's you're having is typical of a ZO display-less head unit problem. If it's an issue with the Murphy screen, it's typically not limited to just ZO problems. Also, the Murphy screen plays no role in satellite acquisition. If it's a puck failing, then you'll have issues with satellites, but nothing else. The zeros on the screen is the real giveaway. That happens when the ZO display-less head unit just stops talking to the screen via the CanBus.

The ZO display-less head unit is mounted in the firewall above the driver's foot well, its a round black box mounted through a hole in the firewall. It's worth unscrewing it and disconnecting the 23-pin connector on the back and then re-seating that connector. When you have it disconnected, check for water inside the housing. That is the most common cause of failure. The PCB inside that box has a water-resistant coating on it, so it can survive a certain amount of wetness for a while. If you do find any water, clean the PCB with a spray can of alcohol-based PCB cleaner and then let it dry out in a warm place for a day or two. Don't run the ZO without it mounted to the firewalls. The accelerometers on that PCB have to be in the correct orientation for it to work properly.  

• Like 2

• Baller

We had a 2016 which had some of the issues you are describing. Got it warranted just in time. There is a guy on MC Team Talk that advertises fixing these screens. The GPS issue sounds like you need a GPS pick update. I am just about to do a 2014 SN 200 as we have flaky GPS at times.

• Baller

I took the unit out of the firewall yesterday. Unplugged it, then took it apart, and looked for anything loose. Everything looked good. Someone told me the back plate on that has to be water  tight, or ZO will surge. Doesn’t make sense for something electronic? I get it if it gets wet though.. but I don’t think it would in the kick panel. 

• Baller
9 hours ago, usaski1 said:

Someone told me the back plate on that has to be water  tight, or ZO will surge. Doesn’t make sense for something electronic? I get it if it gets wet though.. but I don’t think it would in the kick panel. 

I agree, doesn't really make sense that having the back plate be waterproof is required to keep it from surging. 

If you make tight turns when picking up a skier, or going back for an potentially injured skier, water can come in the vent above the ZO unit. 

• Baller

Is your ZO still acting flaky sometimes? If so, I'd unplug the connectors from the back of the 7" display and re-seat them. You've already done the one on the ZO head unit. Small chance it could be a poor connection And there's no real downside to making sure that's not the issue. 

• Baller
2 hours ago, jpwhit said:

Is your ZO still acting flaky sometimes? If so, I'd unplug the connectors from the back of the 7" display and re-seat them. You've already done the one on the ZO head unit. Small chance it could be a poor connection And there's no real downside to making sure that's not the issue. 

That’s a good idea… I’ll try that.