SN 196 Repower

buoyboy1

• Baller

Looking to possibly repower my 2005 196 single puck ZO with a new 6.0L.  Would like to get some feedback on the pull I can expect.  To me the current 5.7 L 330 hp has plenty of power but do have some concerns that the new engine will make it more difficult to get free from the boat.  I have skied behind some 200's and felt like the boat was on you the entire time no matter the ZO setting and that boat has a lot more surface area than a 196.  Also, what prop should I consider?  Thanks.

• Baller_

I think if you already have a great running and skiing ZO boat why repower? if your SBC has hi hours,  long block base engines are still available through many outlets except Pleasure craft marine. 

as far as 6.0 in the 196 model. we'll! they ski pretty sweet! use a 668 ACME....

I am finishing up a 196 rebuild and had both a small block Excalibur and a zr6 on crates. I chose thr Excalibur due to the fact I ski 32 mph now, my wife 30 mph, my daughter a small women 2 overall skier and stephen,,,, well he seems to be able to ski behind anything and do well... we just did not need the 6.0 for what we do... 

I picked up a 89 Master craft that the 6.0 is going in...... more on that project next month...

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 4

• Baller

We repowered our ‘98 Bubble Back with a 6.0L ZO Rev S, ACME 668 and we have a 200 6.0L Rev S in our rotation.   Definitely feels like the 200 is “on” you more than the Bubble - guessing the difference in feel may be related to the difference in mass between the two boats? 

• Baller

Yes - why not just refresh vs replace your current 5.7? Simple, everything comes out and goes back as original, many more years of great skiing.   Why complicate unnecessarily when you already said the pull is fine? 

• Like 2

• Baller

Really comes down to: what are you trying to accomplish?. Do you feel like you are having the boat “on you” at all times in tournaments? If so, duplicating that feeling with your own boat may be worth it. If not, why make your boat less fun to ski? 

Like I said, it’s not “what are you trying to do?”, it’s “what are you trying to accomplish”?

I had a 6.0/409 put in my '01 Ski Nautique to get zero off.  It skis much better with more consistent speed.  However, with the ACME 668 the bump at 22off is huge, so I put the 1442 3-blade on it and the 22off bump is much smaller, however I am underpropped to the point it revs up like a jet ski coming out of the hole.  Has anyone tried a larger size/pitch 3-blade on this setup?

• Baller

Sounds like you have a great boat as is...but I understand the desire to get further down the line.  I see your tourney PB is into 39--tougher yet.  Go get em! 

Edited by 6balls