More on Steering System mainentance

swbca

• Baller_

The Zerk fitting for the ball joint by the rudder is accessibly on a 2004 ProStar by reaching under the fuel tank after removing the rear floor panel.  I may need to get a 90 degree adaptor for the gun or a flexible tube. 

1. Are there other lube points on the steering components ?

2. If the steering system is smooth and friction free from lock to lock, does normally suggest there isn't a failing cable ?  

Edited by swbca

• Baller

@swbca  age of cable should be considered.  Don't assume that smooth operation means good condition.  It's been suggested to me  to change cable every 300 hours or 5 years. I had a cable snap on me without warning,  Always smooth and turning easily.  It let go as i backed away from the dock after launching the day after course skiing.  It could have been a really bad situation.  that cable was the original cable, 25 years old, and 1200 hours.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

This is what it looks like. I tried to reach in and grease by brail, but no luck. I pulled the four screws and took the floor board out. It was kind of a pain getting it out it, was stuck in and had to carefully pry it out. Next year I'm sure it will be fine.

image.jpeg

• Like 1