USCG Approved Vests

Jetsetr

• Baller

Not positive this is in the  best category...feel free to move.

Currently using a Radar Drifter vest, non USCG approved. 

Looking to replace it with an approved  vest.

What does the brain trust think is a good, quality vest that meets the demands of slalom skiers? Feel free to list pros/cons.

Thanks in advance...

• Baller
8 hours ago, Taynton said:

I liked the Hyperlight vest not exactly sure the model, it was ok for skiing as far as the bulky vests go. Why the change?

Two reasons:

1 In Wisconsin on public waters you must have a USCG approved vest for skiing, wake boarding etc etc...Haven’t been checked.

2 The bigger concern is the Drifter won’t roll you over if you’re face down. 90% of my skiing is open water on a public lake. I do ski aggressively, and I’ve had some wicked falls (fortunately in the past). In a “uncontrolled “ setting like a public lake the extra margin of safety is worth the extra bulk (at least it is to me). Unconscious but breathing doesn’t do you any good if your face down...

I looked at the O’ Neil Reactor...

Thanks for the input! DM

• Baller

You have to have a USCG vest for every person on board and accessible, but I don't believe you're required to wear it while skiing (haven't seen that requirement when searching). 

I wouldn't expect any USCG vest that you use for skiing to roll you over in a face down condition (they won't).  The only ones that may roll a person face up are Type I or Type II.  

For your use case though, it's not a bad idea to run a USCG, as you'll have a specific minimum amount of floatation.   If you do choose to stick with comp vests, it's always a good idea to check that they'll float you enough (blow all your air out and see if you're still on the surface).  The amount of floatation in comp vest varies wildly between brands and models.

• Like 1

• Baller
6 hours ago, TomH said:

You have to have a USCG vest for every person on board and accessible, but I don't believe you're required to wear it while skiing (haven't seen that requirement when searching). 

I wouldn't expect any USCG vest that you use for skiing to roll you over in a face down condition (they won't).  The only ones that may roll a person face up are Type I or Type II.  

For your use case though, it's not a bad idea to run a USCG, as you'll have a specific minimum amount of floatation.   If you do choose to stick with comp vests, it's always a good idea to check that they'll float you enough (blow all your air out and see if you're still on the surface).  The amount of floatation in comp vest varies wildly between brands and models.

Good friend of mine is in law enforcement and deals with this pretty often. She’s pretty sure it’s Wisconsin State Statue 30.69, might be a DNR Statue.

In Wisconsin the skier MUST have a USCG approved vest.

However, the reality is if they see a vest of some sort you’re probably not going to get stopped unless there’s other issues that caused the stop.

• Baller

"However, the reality is if they see a vest of some sort you’re probably not going to get stopped unless there’s other issues that caused the stop."

Funny the locals made my skier take his vest off and show them the label this summer.  It had visible buckles on the outside so it isn't obviously non-USCG vest.  

I'm now in the market for a few USCG type ski vests to have around because they stuck around most of the day and no one was going to Krista it.

Krista Rogers on wood plank ski borderline lake 2010 - YouTube

• Baller

Lake test of the Reactor...

Very comfortable,, didn’t notice any hinderance in  movement. Much more flotation...

Didn’t crash test it (fortunately haven’t done that in a while!).

I really like it...

Have a XL Radar Drifter available if anyone is interested. It’s in good condition...

• Like 2

• Baller

Resurrecting this thread to share a good sale on the O'Neill Assault cga vest, in case anyone needs one.  What's left of Bart's Watersports has them for 30% discount.  Sign up for their emails and there's another 10% off of that.  I just bought 2 for Xmas gifts, to qualify for free shipping, too.

LINK 

• Like 1

• Baller

The Radar X (formerly Capella), and Ronix Capella vests are good CGA vests. They're a bit longer and a bit less bulky than your normal CGA vests.

They're the same vest, just the branding and colorways are different. There are more choices in the Ronix branded ones.

The O'Brien Recon is a USCGA approved vest yet still thin and great movement. It is a bit longer too and I am liking that. Note that they run big so I would recommend that you size down. I am typically and XL but wear a Large in it. https://www.amazon.com/OBrien-Recon-Neoprene-Jacket-X-Large/dp/B09DJD71DG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3KWD0UQ2IRVMM&keywords=obrien%2Brecon&qid=1700198278&sprefix=obrien%2Brecon%2Caps%2C466&sr=8-1&th=1