Mirror

CReckard

• Baller

Looking for suggestions for a mirror upgrade for my 2018 SN 200.  99% of the time my wife drives while I ski with no other people in the boat.  She would like a mirror that gives a wider field of view.  Suggestions?

• Baller

Years ago I got lucky and found a used, aluminum PTM VR-140 mirror.  Knowing what I know now, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.  It's a completely different experience (for the better) than with my old CIPA Comp mirror.

• Like 1

• Baller

Agree on PTM.  I use the 100 degree, works great for me, didn't go with the 140 because I thought it would be in the way of my walk-thru.  Mirror view is incredibly clear, and I like the gap it provides for forward vision over the windshield with the bracket extending the mirror above.

• Baller_

I have a PTM.  My friend (who has well over 100 gold medals from Nationals, including overall 10 years in a row) has two normal mirrors and between the two you can see everything you can see with a PTM.  So if you are on the cheap, buy a second normal mirror, probably from someone that upgraded to a PTM. 

Lpskier

• Baller
On 7/7/2023 at 3:08 PM, KRoundy said:

I have a 200 and the PTM is the way to go. When I drive other boats the mirrors just are annoying. I can see everything with the PTM. 

Question about the PTM mirror.  I have a CC 196 with a conventional mirror on it.  I like the fact that the current mirror sits at or just below the mounting point at the top of the windshield.  In viewing the PTM panoramic mirrors online, it appears that the brackets are mounted at the top of the windshield such that the mirror has to sit above the top of the windshield.   Thus, one would have to look higher---which, to me, is distracting.   Does PTM provide a bracket that can position the mirror in-line with where I now have to conventional mirror positioned.

Thanks,

• Baller

Question about the PTM mirror.  I have a CC 196 with a conventional mirror on it.  I like the fact that the current mirror sits at or just below the mounting point at the top of the windshield.  In viewing the PTM panoramic mirrors online, it appears that the brackets are mounted at the top of the windshield such that the mirror has to sit above the top of the windshield.   Thus, one would have to look higher---which, to me, is distracting.   Does PTM provide a bracket that can position the mirror in-line with where I now have to conventional mirror positioned.

• Baller_

+ 1 for what @lpskier says. I run 2 side by side CIPAs and feel it’s the same side to side as the PTM but everything appears much larger in the duel set up. It does require longer window framing so a pass through windshield prob won’t accommodate both. I drive regularly with a PTM in one boat and the duel set up in mine. Crazy but I prefer seeing everything larger.

• Baller_

I bought mine from from NVN Marine.   $257.91 including shipping at the time

Two parts, Mirror and Bracket below - Search their site for these two part numbers

PTM EDGE MIRROR/BRACKET COMBO VR-140 MIRROR & CFR-200

Edited by swbca

• Baller
2 hours ago, swbca said:

I bought mine from from NVN Marine.   $257.91 including shipping at the time

Two parts, Mirror and Bracket below - Search their site for these two part numbers

PTM EDGE MIRROR/BRACKET COMBO VR-140 MIRROR & CFR-200

Interesting link.  The VR-140 mirror and ZXR-300 bracket are $544 direct from PTM but only $390 when bought separately from NVN Marine.

Another BOS win!

• Baller
On 11/14/2023 at 7:45 PM, MitchellM said:

Interesting link.  The VR-140 mirror and ZXR-300 bracket are $544 direct from PTM but only $390 when bought separately from NVN Marine.

Another BOS win!

Arrived in 2 days with free shipping!  Can't wait to put this on my boat.

• Baller
On 11/14/2023 at 8:54 AM, sagilbert said:

I’d call or email them and ask. Mine sits high where I can see over passengers easily and I love it there. 

• Baller
On 11/14/2023 at 11:52 AM, sagilbert said:

Thanks,

Yes they make an extension bracket that goes between the supplied bracket and the mirror.  It’s maybe 3” long.  I use as a “drop bracket” instead of extension.

As with the mirror, it’s expensive.  Maybe like $100.  Seems crazy but must have for me, otherwise mirror was too high as you mention.  

it still folds down fine to cover boat w the extra bracket on.  

sorry, don’t have a picture.  

if they made a shorter bracket, I don’t thing the fold down feature would work due to how the mounting is.  

• Like 1

• Baller

I drive a lot of different boats in the course and no argument with any wide panoramic mirror such as the PTM being very good and easiest to use. Also drive boats with two std mirrors as @lpskier and @Wish have posted agree with comments about size of image. I broke mine a few years ago and could not get a PTM so ended up with a very wide 3 section mirror from a local supplier. The centre section is physically wider than a typical boat mirror and similar convex so image quite large, the two side mirrors are smaller and a lot more convex. What I like is I can set side mirror angle separately so the skier turning at the buoy is centred, the centre main mirror is normal magnification which I prefer especially if pulling out a novice where you need to help them a bit. The down side is the skier whilst tracked through the whole pass in the mirror changes in size as they pass from mirror to mirror and even seem to step back. Initially disconcerting but once you get used to it I now prefer it. Set up above screen, quick release to take on and off.

A friend rigged up an IPAD on the dash and linked it to the camera on the pylon. I thought this would be really good. It was awful I could not get on with it at all. If any one has driven articulated trucks with cameras instead of mirrors it was like that.