What's up with Joel Howley?

Jordan

• Baller

Besides the California Pro-Am last, and another record tournament in California following that, I’m not sure if Joel has competed outside of Australia since winning 2019 worlds in Malaysia. Of course he broke his ankle there and had a lengthy recovery. I believe I’ve heard that Joel has a real job. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I too would like to understand how these athletes can afford all this travel.  Are sponsors paying for any of it or do they literally have to absorb all the costs and pray for a win to at least get a little bit of money back? 

• Baller

Wow!!! Is the money at the highest level of professional water skiing that bad? I know absolutely nothing about it, but I always assumed the top 10 skiers were able to make a living while competing in the sport. If they aren't able to make a living at it now, were they able to back in the 80's and 90's? 

• Baller

@EM_ Thank you for the insight. I knew the prize money wasn’t enough. Just thought there was a lot more behind the scenes sponsorship money to allow you to train, travel, and compete without too many financial concerns. It’s a tough passion to participate in. 

• Baller

@EM_. Thank you for this insight.  My kid wants to go pro and is asking to go to all these various record tournaments around the US and in other countries and I am not able to afford it at this time. The talent and scores are there, but the money is not.  Hopefully, all the new social media coverage and Youtube coverage of the sport will bring in more sponsors.  I've never been outside of the US (outside of Canada) so WOW, $70 flights?  That at least sounds promising.  

• Baller

To put it in perspective, at my company, we have a roster of over 850 athletes across 76 sports — 237 of which who are Olympians and Paralympians — and they are ALL struggling to pay for training, competing, and travel. Almost all of them have day jobs or multiple side hustles. Skiing is not special.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
55 minutes ago, Luv2Ski said:

I've never been outside of the US (outside of Canada) so WOW, $70 flights?  That at least sounds promising.  

depends where you're going, but Spain to Greece is like flying between Atlanta and Dallas.

• Like 1

• Baller
22 hours ago, BraceMaker said:

Some of the European ones at least have some support from a national sporting body.  

Canada also. Jamie Bull discussed this in the TWBC documentary. Medals at worlds earns them money for training. 

• Baller
38 minutes ago, kc said:

Canada also. Jamie Bull discussed this in the TWBC documentary. Medals at worlds earns them money for training. 

Its probably a better system.  Some countries I believe Germany is one you enlist and serve in the Army but in a capacity as an athlete so your service is compensated with a salary.  I believe that covers quite a bit of their Olympic athletes that are of service age.

• Baller_

Waterskiing is not unique, many or in reality most sports require a very large financial investment by the athlete / parents of / sugar daddy etc. to participate.  Outside the stick and ball sports, most ‘pro’ athletes pay their way.  
To give you an example, the 2022 Indy 500 winner brought his sponsor and pays to drive the car, to the tune of several million greenbacks.

• Like 1