The Pond has been Drained

cruznski

• Baller

Mid season news from the NorCal area, the Santa Clara Waterski Club Pond has been drained (again). The Pond has been drained to rebuild the dam at this pond in concert with the Anderson Reservoir Dam retrofit Project. I attach photo of the last day I skied there Jun 16 and then July 8th when a crew went out and pulled the course (all Wally buoys with custom subfloats that adjust to water depth).  So the dam rebuild will take a year we are out for now but it was great while it lasted. This was the 50th year the club has operated at this site.  

You will find us at the Delta (Berkeley Water Ski Club) and some of the other fab ski sites in the greater area. 

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

• Baller

SHOCKER. Dam that was fast. Full for a few months a few months ago full now dry as usual.

@LoopSki delta really isn’t gross. The river has a current so it’s always stirred up. I used to ski out there for 20 plus year before leaving California. For skiers in the Bay Area  it’s the delta or public lakes and only one that I know of has one Lake Berryessa..     Monacello   ski club 

Edited by dave2ball

• Baller

@dave2balli beg to differ!! I had a houseboat on the Delta. It is nasty.  Dead bodies, old cars , sunken boats. List goes on. I will say bar hopping is fun. But no way I will jump in.  My houseboat had the option to dump black water in. Never did. But I am sure others do.  

• Baller

@dave2ball totally agree the Delta really isn't gross. This year it has been higher and more current from the incredible rain and snowfall. The photo was morning of July 4 at the Berkeley site. I don't know how many will see this but that site skis great,  at times like in this photo. I know of several who have skied PBs there. Bob Hardeman set a Men 8 regional record at the site last fall. 

IMG_6099.JPG

• Like 1

• Baller

@LOTW doing it vs. capable of doing it.... on the Great Lakes and around river systems boats aren't usually configured for black water discharge.    Usually only boats that will be going offshore are plumbed to do so.

But if you have to take the time to take your boat out into deep water periodically to discharge 3+ miles offshore?  Or you just open that valve and dump it when you're feeling a bit lazy or the cost is more than you want to pay... Well some people just Dave Matthews band it from time to time.

• Haha 1