175hp for Barefoot Brendella??

Dmaier

I just purchased a 93 Barefoot Brendella with no outboard. I found the correct Mercury outboard motor for the boat so I don't have to rewire or re-cable but it's a 175hp vs 200 that was on there. Will a 175hp be sufficient for slalom skiing on this boat. We don't barefoot so don't know how important a 200 or bigger would be?

• Baller

The 175 will do the job just fine. That hull is not much drag.Barefooting would be different but for slalom 175 hp outboard is plenty good...unless you're 7' 4'',375 lbs 

Welcome to BOS!🙂

Edited by Andre

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Just make sure the engine isn't a turd.  Been there done that oh I won't need to rewire or change the controls.... bad lower end, bad compression, won't run.

And if its an older 2 stroke and you're paying don't chase a deal and end up paying twice.  Buy once cry once.

• Baller

I would go bigger.  Our first Ski Centurion Warrior Barefoot (which has a very quick-plane hull) had a carb Yamaha 225.  That was really nice, until my Dad sold this to my brother, and had another carb 225 on the Centurion Falcon Barefoot.  

Jim put a Yamaha 3.1L EFI on the Barefoot Warrior and holy smokes.  Great motor.  Starts great, idles great, runs great, tons of torque.  So much so that my Dad put one on the Falcon and it was a game-changer. 

You can get by 175, but ideally I'd go bigger.  Prop choice will be important(pitch) on a 175.  It will be a fun boat tho.

• Baller

Bingo.  for most of the engines the steering is the same, the wiring there are adapter harnesses for most or at worst the new engine comes with a loom and you have to string it and replace some gauges.  And then the throttle cables and throttle assembly either you get adapter ends and run what you have or again its like 2-3 hours of work most of which is cutting zip ties and neatening up.  I spent more time finding bolts with the right thread pitch to adapt my harmonic pulley balancer to hang the engine than I did actually replacing the controls. 

But you buy an old 2 smoke outboard mount it find out the oil injector is bypassed have to mix fuel blah blah.