2022 Radar Senate Alloy - Bindings

mahansen81

I recently picked up a 2022 Radar Senate Alloy(Blank) - For now I'm running it with the front binding from my old ski(KD CR7) and a rear toe plate.  I'm considering replacing the front with something that's easier to get into that my old high wrap. 

I'm tempted to try the O'brien Z9(Budget friendly...)  Wondering if anyone else is running a Z9 and what they think of it or if I'm asking for trouble going with the cheapest binding...

Others I'm looking at are the O'brien Titan or the Radar Vector BOA. 

I'm happy enough with the current set-up but if the Z9 is decent, i'll probably give it a try for $80+/-...  Not all that interested in spending another $150+ at the moment.

Mark

• Baller

I have no experience with the Obrien options but currently run a Radar Vector BOA and previously used the 2018 Vector.  I like how they work and ski. Most find that they release okay when not over tight but my size 13 foot doesn't like to come out of any binding so I use it on a MOB release plate. That means I can run mine as tight as my foot will allow and it's still safe so take my opinion with that in mind.

• Baller

That style of binding I would give a hard pass.

It's really what I would consider a boot for combo skis the adjustment is one size fits no one and the risk is you want more support so you tighten it down and then you get hurt. They also arent that much easier to get into.  Fiddling with lace locks and such sucks.  Nothing faster than a wileys bit of lube and squish you're in.

That's faster than most hardshells and in practice hardshells you have the double and triple checking for safety and your liner rituals.

• Baller

@BraceMaker makes valid points. The big concern with a lace style binding is that how you release is dependent on how tight the laces are for that set. If you have a smaller length foot and a normal instep, this may never be a problem because your foot will come out more easily. If you are like me and have a longer foot with small instep, you have to crank the lace tight to hold your foot and foot length results in an angle during release that makes coming out more difficult (how I broke my ankle). That is why I mount the Vector to a MOB release. Whatever you get, make sure that you reliably can always pull your foot out just sitting in the water with a push from your back foot. When it comes to price, remember that all boot styles and release systems cost less than a trip to the ER or even an X-ray (if you live in the USA).