What do you think of this gate turn in?

Horton

• Baller_

1.  It's better than mine by far.  Almost looks like the initiation of a Trick ski turn in.

2.  The line is always tight, so that is huge.

3.  She turns in at the moment she is about to drop below the boat speed - also huge.

4.  The body position seems to initiate how the finish of an onside turn would be (with counter rotation and swinging the hips through), which would result in an even better angle and body position to start the pull across the wake.

5.  Very balanced on the ski and in control.

• Like 3

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@Taperflex, she is easily inside the right hand ball and really about exactly where you'd want to be going through.  No problem.  You should be able to stop the video and catch it.

Edited by MISkier

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I tried imitating her this morning with the handle pushed down to my right front pocket. I got some really nice pivots for the gate without the awkwardness I usually feel on the rotation. Am going to continue experimenting with this. So far I really like it!

• Like 2

• Baller

I wonder if it has a bit to do with a relative ratio of height to boot spread that being if you have a women's 7 shoe and are fairly short vs a men's 11 shoe and are pretty tall. her rear binding looks pretty tucked up to the front one but there on the ski in the gate glide makes it appear that her back foot is really far back. Lots of daylight between her knees.

If you were left foot forwards twisting the hips outwards would be the opposite effect.  Maybe advantage RFF?

• Baller_

The gate mechanics look pretty solid, but she comes out of two with loose line, which indicates that the mechanics alone aren’t getting the job done. It could be that her timing is a bit off and though it appears she is turning in on time in in rhythm with the boat, I’d suggest she try pulling out just a spot later. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier I’ve heard the binding spread should be roughly 12”.  My current spread is 11 1/4.  I use rear toe and my toes are less than 1/4” from my front heal.  I pushed to 12” and gave it a solid try to prove it was better for nearly a dozen sets.  For me it was not better.  Could it be for some? Yes but I don’t think it’s fair to say that should be a rule.   Feet closer is easier to get tall over top of your front foot.

• Baller
On 8/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, thager said:

I tried imitating her this morning with the handle pushed down to my right front pocket. I got some really nice pivots for the gate without the awkwardness I usually feel on the rotation. Am going to continue experimenting with this. So far I really like it!

I agree @thager! Was working on this yesterday and had much better gates from a wider position instead of getting sucked in. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Her gate is really really good, the only thing I would change is the shoulders facing down course. As a righty The shoulders should be open to the boat since that's where they'll be anyway; its more natural and makes it easier to make that first move. With your shoulder closed off it takes longer to initiate the turn in. The more important thing is where your right hip is, it should be driving up and facing down course which she does really well. 

Edited by ColeGiacopuzzi
  • Like 3

• Baller_

@Dano anything in the 11. 5 to 12” spacing zone is probably fine for 90% of all skiers. I’ve listened to @horton’s argument about a closer stave making for a better platform from which to improve stance, and I won’t quarrel with it. There are multiple means of removing the epidermis from a feline. 

Edited by lpskier
  • Like 2

Lpskier

• Administrators

@lpskier I'm going to say most skiers are most successful with their feet relatively close. It's not a hard and fast rule but I really don't think additional spread is a dimension of setup that most people need to tweak. Furthermore, I want to say hey it's kind of off topic to this thread. Brooke may have slight additional spread but I it's a bit of a tangent to the conversation.

• Like 1

• Baller_

I actually used to do this. I think I've even suggested it on BOS in terms of a clock. Once gliding, the ski is pointed to 12:00 while my hips rotate to 11:00 and hold. When the time is right to turn in, I simply rotated the hips to 1:00 and everything fell into place. Found that the 11:00 holds the ski on an ever so slight outside edge keeping the ski gliding straight and not getting sucked in. Cool stuff. 

• Like 2