iPhone 13: Sensor-shift optical image stabilization. Any better?

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

The history of trying to record skiing using an iPhone on a pylon mount like Wakeye or Ski-Doc is, to the best of my knowledge:
- Prior to the iPhone 6, you could use the rear camera and it'd be fine.
- Starting with the iPhone 6S, Apple introduced stabilization on the rear camera that, while improving "normal" phone camera use, it handled terribly the hi-frequency vibration of a pylon, and you had to switch to using the front/selfie camera to get video worth using.

But, I just learned that starting with iPhone 13 (and the iPhone 12 Pro Max), the phones now use "sensor-shift optical image stabilization" rather than the previous "dual optical image stabilization."

Has anyone tried an iPhone 13 or newer model using the main/rear camera on a pylon mount? Is it any better or is the front camera still the only option? In this video comparing the 11 with the 12 Pro Max, he does a "driving test," which is the closest example I could find to pylon vibration, and the 12 is definitely better.

• Baller

This seems to make most phones work. Not going to get cinematic quality or anything but it isn’t wavy and I can easily see the hundreds of mistakes that I make.

The top and bottom are the ends of PVC pipe caps and the tubing vinyl. I had to play with the tubing length and number so that it stabilized enough but also didn’t shake at 35 off, for others I ski with not me.

IMG_0001.jpeg

Edited by vtmecheng