Tow Vehicle. Bronco?

makeall6

• Baller

You didn't ask- but if I needed to buy a midsize SUV right now I'd be grabbing a late model GX460. Body on frame V8, made in Japan, peak Toyota. Not crazy about the looks but the last reliable NA V8 you're going to find in a midsize SUV for a while.

Coming generation of GX is a turbo V6 and looks amazing,  but deliveries will be a ways off in the future.  The new US "Land Crusier" (now just a brand name and not a bespoke vehicle in the US) will be this same chassis but with a turbo 4.

• Baller

Good point, even a 196 plus trailer/gear is likely over the 3500 tow rating of the Bronco--maybe closer to 4K lbs.  I saw on planet nautique a guy with a 196 and a tandem trailer, gased/gear ready to go to lake was 4000 on a truck scale.  

Maybe not your cup of tea but a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is fun to drive, looks bad ass and can tow 7200 lbs.

Edited by 6balls

• Baller
3 hours ago, FSSPCat said:

Once again I feel compelled to say this. If you are over your tow capacity (according to the manufacturer) and you get in any kind of an accident, your insurance company will most likely hang you out to dry. 

There's lots of good reasons not to exceed manufacturers recommended tow limits, but unless there is an express exclusion in your policy for towing over recommended limits, I don't see the basis for a coverage denial unless the towed vehicle was so grossly overweight it amounts to criminal recklessness or intentional misconduct.  I've pulled my policy and looked for such an exclusion and there isn't one.  But actual policy terms control.  

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller

2023 Ford BroncoTowing Capacity by Engine

2.3L EcoBoost® Engine:

• 7-speed manual transmission
  • 300 hp
  • 325 lb-ft of torque
  • New Ford Bronco Towing Capacity – 3,500 pounds

2.7L EcoBoost® Engine:

• 10-speed automatic transmission
  • 330 hp
  • 415 lb-ft of torque
  • New Ford Bronco Towing Capacity – 3,500 pounds

3.0L EcoBoost® Engine (standard on the Bronco Raptor):

• 10-speed automatic transmission
  • 418 hp
  • 440 lb-ft of torque
  • New Ford Bronco Towing Capacity – 4,500 pounds (4-door version)

• Baller

Looky there--you can option it to 4500 lbs and you would be golden.

@shell we will have to race trailer in tow with our Benz GL63 AMG(used to have the ML now we have the big 3 row hot-rod)--what is the Cayenne rated for?  The AMG is 7500

• Baller

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/cpo/pdf/2023_Ford_Bronco_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf

Wow!!  That Bronco is weak sauce when it comes to towing!!  3,500 pounds?  Seriously?  I have that rating on my Mitsubishi Outlander!!  

I guess you could get the Bronco Raptor and get up to 4,500 pounds.  Then maybe I would feel ok about it.  Personally, I wouldn't go out and buy a vehicle rated for 3,500 pounds knowing the intention would be to sometimes pull a boat with it.  Lots of awesome vehicles out there.  I would try to find one rated for at least 5,000 pounds, personally.  

• Baller
11 minutes ago, 6balls said:

Looky there--you can option it to 4500 lbs and you would be golden.

@shell we will have to race trailer in tow with our Benz GL63 AMG(used to have the ML now we have the big 3 row hot-rod)--what is the Cayenne rated for?  The AMG is 7500

@6balls 7,716lbs of Porsche Power!!! Can’t even feel anything behind me! Towed from GA to MI , it drove like a beast!

• Like 1