Zero Off Jump Switch Not Engaging

Maxsend

• Baller

I'm hoping y'all can help with a Zero Off (Jump) issue. 

Problem - when in Jump mode, the switch is not engaging. The speed control may not be engaging either? This is a new issue, it worked the last time I used the boat at this lake.

Boat and ZO - The boat is a repowered 2002 SN 196 with a 3-event ZO kit (software/firmware is current). Doug  Moss did the work, so we know it's solid. 

Issue - I recently updated some settings, and now Jump mode isn't working correctly. My biggest issue is that the jump switch isn't engaging. I was poking around within the profile settings, which may have created the issue? I also mapped the slalom course, but I doubt that's related to this issue. 

Set up - The jump course isn't mapped, since I'm unsure if the boat path buoys are the correct distance up/down (North/South) course. Their distance perpendicular to the ramp is good. 

Solution - If a soft or hard system reset will solve the issue, I'm open to trying it. I didn't set up the system or install the system, so I don't know what config is required after a reset. 

Thx in advance for your help.  

• Baller

I'm no expert, but try mapping the jump course (even if you aren't sure it's right).  Maybe that is how ZO gets its info on if, when, and where to respond to the jump switch.  I assume the jump switch is plugged in with a good connection (and it works).

• Baller

The course doesn't need to be mapped for the switch to work.  I would test the switch with a multimeter to make sure it is working.  Then make sure the clear white plug where it plugs into the boat is making contact.  Those connectors get worn and stop making contact.  You can use an ice pick to close up the female end of the contact a little bit.

• Like 1

• Baller

Thx for all your help.

I just contacted ZO support, and they said I should see dollar signs $$$ when the switch is engaging. 
Apparently, this can be tested at the dock with the motor running by either pulling on the rope or using a paper clip across the contact points. I'll give this a try and we'll see what happens. 

I'll also map the course for good measure. I know it's not necessary, but I want it mapped for RTB and fast second. 

71434401629__6DD8A20C-5042-4A2B-B115-12028F98826A.jpeg

• Baller_
22 hours ago, Maxsend said:

What does "RopeSW TIMEOUT" do? Since it's small increments, I doubt it's the cause of my switch issue, but it would be good to know. Thx

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 3.25.19 PM.png

In a nut shell rope switch time out is how long the micro switch is recognized and and the system applies throttle. that one set at 1.8 seconds..

• Baller

@Jody_Sealthx for the response. So, in this example, the system will only apply throttle (gas) for 1.8 seconds upon switch engagement? 

If so, this is not why my switch/system isn't engaging and providing throttle.

Lastly, should RopeSW be set to zero? 

Thx for your help.  

• Baller_

your right switch time out will not effect why your switch circuit is not working. but question was what is this setting. and yes leave it at 1.8.

have you unplugged the switch and direct jumpered the connector to see if it is a switch problem or a extension wire problem. is the switch wire plugged in to the zo harness correctly? did you ohm out the extension wires? did you ohm out the switch?

• Baller

Thx @Jody_Seal and all for your help. I successfully mapped the jump course and everything worked as expected. I still don't know why the switch and speed control wasn't working during my last outing, but everything seems to be working now. 

I'm still unclear how RopeSW TIMEOUT works and it's purpose.

Thx

• Baller

My understanding of RopeSW TIMEOUT is no matter how long there is sufficient tension on the rope to engage the switch, it will only impact throttle for 1.8 seconds (in this example).  If that is wrong, please free to correct.

• Like 1