Battery tender recommendation?

MitchellM

• Baller

Anyone have specific recommendations for a battery tender/trickle charger they like and use?

I'd also be curious about battery tending habits for folks who don't use their boats daily.  If my boat sits on a lift for 2-3 weeks, I don't want to show up to a dead battery.

• Baller_

+1 on the C-Tek line of chargers. My shop has a half dozen of them of the various sizes. A small one (under $100) will do fine for what you need. But if your boat has a good battery, and a disconnect switch, you should be good for a month without the need of a charger. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Assuming you have 110v to the dock/lift.  I have a Noco Genius in my boat that gets plugged in whenever the boat isn't in use.  Not only will it maintain the charge via trickle charging, it will assess the battery chemistry and take corrective action to help prolong the battery life.  I consider it a necessity here in Arizona where the high temps destroy batteries after a few years.  All you need for a single starting battery is the lower end model.  Been using the predecessor to this linked model for years with great results.

Amazon Link

Edited by UWSkier

• Baller

I have a few from different brands they're all fine.

But after watching a Harry's Garage video (great if you're into classic cars and motorcycles) I've started using Ctek

Their vehicle side connectors : https://smartercharger.com/collections/accessories/products/ctek-comfort-connect-indicator-eyelet : have LED charge indicators.

I've started adding these to my stuff and there is nothing like walking past your lawn tractor and going hmm that needs a top up to keep your stuff working just last night I charged my motorcycle and I've been adding these to the batteries on everything I own.

Edited by BraceMaker

• Baller

I got a solar unit from an auto parts store.  Had it 4 years here in central FL with no battery problems. Battery was a year old when I got the charger and sold it with the boat last summer.  I had no power available in the storage area.  Replaced the clips with eyelets permanently attached to the battery terminals. It had a quick disconnect in the wire.

• Baller
10 hours ago, ETskier said:

I got a solar unit from an auto parts store.  Had it 4 years here in central FL with no battery problems. Battery was a year old when I got the charger and sold it with the boat last summer.  I had no power available in the storage area.  Replaced the clips with eyelets permanently attached to the battery terminals. It had a quick disconnect in the wire.

That sounds appealing.  I'll have to see if I can mount it for good sun exposure.

• Baller
2 hours ago, BrennanKMN said:

I understand your question is about a tender, but if you're leaving your boat for 2-3 weeks and you're coming back to a dead battery you have another issue to sort out. 

Interesting.  How long should I be expected to leave my boat unused and have it still fire up?

• Baller

Post 2014 prostars won't go more than a couple days before battery is drained enough it won't start. Turn battery off every night. I have the Noco Genius. I generally only use it when I forgot to turn switch off.   I keep 2 batteries going also. When I forget to turn off, I swap batteries and charge the dead one.

• Thanks 1

• Baller
4 hours ago, MitchellM said:

Interesting.  How long should I be expected to leave my boat unused and have it still fire up?

Not sure what boat you have, but my 2007 Nautique I can lave over the winter (4-6 months) and have it still start in the spring. Battery is at least 7 years old at this point too.