What would be your reaction?

skialex

• Baller

I was setting up a new ski for a friend and there were carbon fibers sticking out from one side of the fin. What would you do? I dealt with it, not a big deal, removed the fin and cut off any loose fibers. Asking for a replacement would have taken forever and dealer is also a friend to both of us. To me sometimes an easy fix is better than asking the dealer or manufacturer to dealt with it.

899340F9-C3A2-432F-ADC6-9C595622795B.jpeg

• Baller

Well the issue is if it's ever been skied on, touched a wood platform or whacked during mounting boots, the warranty is voided!

Otherwise, it's a reverse break or you're somehow at fault!!!

Edited by scoke

• Baller

Guess it depends what they seemed like, I've had carbon laminations where when they were removed from the mold there were dry fibers where the resin didn't fully saturate an area.  Those laminates are failed and need to be discarded.

But then again if you're working with carbon braids and cutting it with scissors around product those little whiskers tend to stick to things and move around so potentially someone was unrolling fabric and cutting it in the same place that they were assembling final skis and some of the fibers got transferred into the slot at assembly or were stuck to the fin and inserted through the ski?

Certainly there should be no fibers looking like that unsaturated and part of the ski.

• Like 1

• Administrators

without seeing in the slot I am not sure but I would assume it is fine. I would cut out the loose fiber and go ski. My guess is that what you are seeing there is the remnant from when the fin slot was cut. 

If the inspection showed other dry fiber in the lamination then I would not be so easy going. 

• Like 1