Can't find anything to get little black spots of mildew out of vinyl upholstery.

swbca

• Baller_

I think I have bought 3 boat upholstery cleaners that claim to help with mildew.  None of them did anything.   I did a test area with straight household bleach and that worked fairly well but it took minutes of scrubbing with a cloth.  I know that bleach can be rough on the boat seats.   Any other suggestions that work ?

Our boat is tucked up tight in a canopy but overnight dew still settles.

Edited by swbca
typo

• Baller

Not an answer, but does your cover have vents?   Prevention, try to keep ALL water out of the boat and if feasible leave the cover off for a while after you get through skiing.  Engine heat under the cover with any moisture can promote  mildew.

Oh, as @MDB1056  said,  use a brish.

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, MDB1056 said:

Yes avoid magic eraser. It’s an abrasive 

Of course its an abrasive.  Hence use it gently and only if not grained.  OP can do what he likes.  There's a balance to steps needed to remove mildew and potential damage, before vinyl is permanently stained.  Everyone can do what they will.

• Baller

I have an 08 196 whenever I have mildew, I have always used 1/4 bleach to water and a brush to clean with. I put it in a spray bottle spray, brush and rinse. I only starter to replace 3 covers of my interior 3 years ago that's 12 years before I had to recover. Granted my interior is off white. If you know me, I keep a clean boat and live in the Florida sun about 1800 hrs on my 196 

• Baller

I have had some heavy mold and mildew in 2 196’s

There are 2 things that will wear on upholstery: mold and the stuff that kills mold.

I use mold away and sometimes x-14 these are spray on, wait, and rinse thoroughly with water (hose usually) no scrubbing unless you want, I don’t.

im not looking for showroom mint  I’m just trying to get clean and preserve my seats

twice I’ve removed a back seat in a 196 only to find massive black mold build up on the gas tank. Took apart trunk to as to access rear of gas tank. Removed that and had less trouble down the line too.

And of course avoid moisture which is tough if you like waterskiing.

• Like 1