Hey AWSA, Have you heard?

ETskier

• Baller

There's a little tournament called World Water Ski Championships coming next week. Just thought you might like to know, since you are noticeably absent promoting it on your (our) website or news blasts. And, its happening right here in your (our) back yard. 

• Like 5

• Baller_

Worlds is not an USAWSWS  event. While it might be nice for them to send us an email or maybe an article, USAWSWS makes nothing on the event and has no role to play in the event (other that picking a team, and that’s AWSA, not USAWSWS), so why spend our money for someone else’s event? That’s sort of like asking why the University of Central Florida, with a great football program, is not advertising and marketing the Super Bowl if it’s played in Tampa. 

That said, two years ago the main local sponsor was whatever the correct name is for the Central Florida Tourism Bureau and they promoted it  a lot. 

• Like 2

Lpskier

• Administrators

promoting Worlds is just not a core function of the association. With limited staff and limited budget, they do what they do as best as they can and then stay in their lane.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@ETskier are you sure about that? I'm not a 100% sure you're wrong but I have no recollection. it seems to me that AWSA consistently promotes the success of US athletes but has hardly if ever been in the business of promoting events.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I am a fossil from the ancient days. In the ‘70s we had a staff of 6  or 7 including secretaries and mail room help. The editor of The Water Skier doubled as PR man. His task was to feed info to local news outlets. He could not guarantee that they picked up on the feed. We had no advertising budget to promote events directly.

USA Water Ski is an affiliate federation of IWWF and the US Team is its property, so there certainly should be a motivation to promote the event.

Visit Central Florida has been an event sponsor in the past and promoted the event. Ironically, Visit Central Florida is a creature of Polk County government and the event takes place in Lake County. Might be one reason why advertising is limited.

• Like 1

• Baller

My Instagram feed has posts from usaws doing athlete profiles of skiers competing in the pan-am games so in a way, they are promoting the pan-ams. 

I hope they do some social media posts for the US world team skiers before or during the worlds.   The Canadian association is recognizing their world team members.