Newb question about ski size

Lebow-ski

• Baller

Hi All!
New to the forum here. I grew up on the water and started skiing at age 4 and competed (albeit not very competitively) from age 14 to 17 (regionals in Ont Canada). Moved away for school, work, etc., and for a l-o-n-g time lacked the time, money and opportunity to ski. Then I spent a good chunk of time at a friend’s cottage last summer and got back on the water for the first time in ages, and realized 2 things: (1) for an older guy who hasn’t skied in ages, I was a way better that I expected, and (2) I need to make skiing a part of my life again. 
So, I’m in the market for new equipment, which has changed massively while I wasn’t looking, and I have the weird feeling of being a complete newb in a place that used to be so familiar. I joined the forum for advice on what I expect will be many questions (about equipment purchase and set up, techniques, etc.).

First off, ski size. I run about 165lb, which puts me in the middle of a 66 or 67 inch size for most of the skis I’m looking at. I’d be grateful for advice about the expected tradeoffs in the choice of ski size…presumably the 66 would run deeper, etc., but I’m guessing there’s much more to it.

Brian

• Baller

What speed are u skiing? At slow speeds a longer ski will be needed to achieve similar performance to a shorter ski at higher speeds. Just starting out again, I’d definitely have you consider a 67 also. Some skis are absolutely terrible at slow speeds but come alive at higher speeds and shorter lines. Bottom line I wouldn’t be committed to only a 66 . Ride the longest ski you can effectively turn . The works best is on a 67 and he weighs same or less than you 

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, MDB. I’m usually running at about 32, but might be + or - a bit depending on conditions. In general, I’m leaning more toward a set up that I can grow into (as I get back up to speed) rather than a set up that might work best for me right now (but that I’d want/need to upgrade in a year or two). I’ve been off the water for a long time (and def older than when I last skied everyday), but fortunately I’ve stayed in good physical shape and hope to get up to speed again soon! I’m looking to get some coaching at the California Ski Ranch, which turns out to be a short drive from my home!

• Like 1

• Baller_

I'm at 160-165lbs, and I ski 32-34mph, 15-28off, though I started dropping 32mph entirely at the end of last season. I'm on a Radar Vapor and I've asked number of the Radar team, given 34mph and longer lines, what size to get. Trent said to go 67", Brooks said to go 67" until I'm at 35off, and Jamie recommended 67". Cole is the one dissenter would said "definitely 66" - so varied opinions but more towards the longer ski, at least as it relates specifically to Radar Vapors.

• Like 2

• Baller

Thanks very much, Steve. Your input is super pertinent, not only because we’re a similar weight, but because the Pro Build Vapor is currently at the top of my list. (Btw, how cool is it that you got advice about this directly from the Radar team: nice!). (FWIW, I was running 15 off at ~32 last summer…like I said, super rusty and focussed on having fun and trying to remember form).

It’s also cool that there was a clear majority opinion on size from the Radar team, and want to make sure I correctly understand the reasoning behind this advice: for a given speed (34mph), stick with a longer ski (67) while you’re skiing with a longer rope (28 or less off), but move to a shorter ski (66) when you start skiing with a shorter rope (35 off).

Presumably, the logic behind this advice is that you will necessarily be skiing faster at 35 off (cutting tighter lines that run more perpendicular to the boat, so with a higher effective speed), and so will benefit from the better turning of the shorter ski at those higher speeds. This probably should be obvious to me, but just want to confirm my understanding.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Lebow-ski

@Slalom.Steve

I am a little surprised by the recommendations by @brooks & @Chris Rossi but if they say so you should listen to them. @Lebow-ski I think you have a good grip on the logic.

• Like 1

• Baller
3 hours ago, bananaron said:

For me IThink you have to test as many skis that you can.Its probably difficult to do however when you get that right fit you will know it.....66 or 67. and which brand and model will work for you.

Hi Ron. Thanks very much for your advice! I agree that—in a seemingly ideal scenario—I would select a set of ski options (different makes/models/sizes) and test them back to back on the water: this would provide a great basis for making a very informed decision. 
A complication with this ideal situation (even if it were possible) is that—because I’m currently quite rusty—I would very likely end up selecting a ski that best suits my current (and very rusty) level, but would quickly become a poor choice as I get up to speed. That is, I’d rather select a ski that is not optimal for me right now, but one that I could grow into by the end of the coming season (or even the season after that) as I (hopefully rediscover my form).

Thanks again!

• Baller_
On 10/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Lebow-ski said:

It’s also cool that there was a clear majority opinion on size from the Radar team, and want to make sure I correctly understand the reasoning behind this advice: for a given speed (34mph), stick with a longer ski (67) while you’re skiing with a longer rope (28 or less off), but move to a shorter ski (66) when you start skiing with a shorter rope (35 off).

Well the Vapor, being the top-of-the-line Radar, is somewhat "designed" for short-line skiing at 36mph, or at least the size numbers are likely based on that. So my understanding is that if I was at 36mph and long lines, I'd probably use a 66", or if I was at 34mph and short lines, I'd use a 66", but being at 34mph and at longer lines makes me two "steps" away from the default size tuning for Vapor, and thus pushes me into a 67" size.

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks, again, Steve. That all makes perfect sense to me. My current thinking is that I’ll *probably* end up going with the 67”, and (if or when, fingers crossed) my form improves sufficiently, I’ll move up to a 66”.

But—much to my amazement—I received a DM from another forum member who (a) lives very close to my small NorCal town (!), (b) has a 67” 2024 Vapor PB and a 66” 2023 Vapor PB (!!), AND (c) generously offered to let me try both on the water!!! This could just be a massive random act of kindness, or maybe the Universe is starting to get a bit shouty about me getting back on the water 😉

So glad I joined this forum and so grateful for everyone’s kind help!

• Like 3

• Baller

If you are in between and just getting back into it, bigger is the default in my opinion, especially on the Vapor at slower speeds than 36 mph.  Easier starts, easier on your body, more platform to stand on while you get your form back or develop good form, less tendency to crank a turn and overpull.      

• Like 2

• Baller_

also its easier to make a ski feel shorter, but never longer. 

On 10/29/2023 at 5:09 PM, Slalom.Steve said:

Well the Vapor, being the top-of-the-line Radar, is somewhat "designed" for short-line skiing at 36mph, or at least the size numbers are likely based on that. So my understanding is that if I was at 36mph and long lines, I'd probably use a 66", or if I was at 34mph and short lines, I'd use a 66", but being at 34mph and at longer lines makes me two "steps" away from the default size tuning for Vapor, and thus pushes me into a 67" size.

• Like 4

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Hi All:

Apologies for my delay in responding to the recent posts. I’m just back from a week-long back-country hike in the Sierras: no cell reception, no email, no internet, just fresh air and beautiful vistas!

I also wanted to extend my sincere thanks everyone again for your generous advice and kind responses to my post (this BOS forum is a truly wonderful community)! 

I’m also happy to share that—with your help—I’ve made a decision and pulled the trigger on a 67” 2023 Radar Vapor Pro Build! 

I can’t wait to get out on the water with it!!!

Many thanks again to all,

Brian

• Like 1