Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Skiing after cataract surgery

Cnewbert

• Baller

Looks as though I'm probably going to need cataract surgery in one eye sometime in the coming year or so.  I'm wondering how long I will need to wait before resuming skiing, post surgery.   I suspect my eye doctor will suggest an overly conservative interval as he knows nothing about skiing.   I believe there must be some on BOS who have had such eye surgery and can offer a realistic time frame, and I'd appreciate learning of your experience.  Thanks!  

• Baller

I have had both of mine done a few years ago but from memory it was about 4 weeks but you will know yourself, when you don't feel pressure in your eye when you bend down you should be fine, it's all about not bursting the stitches and opening the wound you will be told not to bend down to tie your shoe laces for the first couple of weeks.

• Baller

I had lenses replaced in both eyes 4 years ago. I thought my consultant was overly conservative about rest etc. I was planning on going into work next day. Consultant sat me down and explained why I could not do this and that I was wrong for thinking just small opp under local no problem back to normal duties next day. He explained it is still an operation and apart from the risks with the eye repair my body would need post opp time to recover. I was sceptical but he proved to be correct. Nothing wrong just really not right for about a week like post flue bug. So I recommend you book a week off work and allow time, if it turns out you are fine great but I needed that week.

My logic at the time:

First couple of weeks really take it steady do everything they tell you.

First month don't ski, Mainly for infection risk, so while taking eye ointment keep eyes clean as per their instruction.

Started skiing at 6 weeks.  I was told there was a risk for next 6 months and not to do contact sports or extreme sports as eye still healing and although repaired were not at full strength so delicate parts in it could still tear and lense move. No idea if this is overly conservative or not. I started skiing after about six weeks but was very careful and did not push it, released rope if any thing not right as I was scared of crashing and damaging my eyes. First bad crash that season I remember being really scared when I surfaced that I would be blind, had eyes full of water and thought I had done some serious damage, I was fine but still scared me.

All my eye checks were clear during above periods. I really think you must listen to your own body and if anything even slightly not quite right or just different play safe. With hindsight and having reflected on my choices I think I went back to skiing too soon, I should have stayed off the water for at least a couple of months, sensibly 3 and totally safely done what I was told 6months. But it is a short season and I didn't want to right off a whole year. Not right but the choice I made.

I had the small incision and lazer to chop up lense in one eye, the other eye when I was on the table the consultant told me the lazer was broke so he did it the old way with larger incision and forceps knife  in  eye. So had both methods I don't think it makes any diffrenece post opp.

• Baller

Recently had both eyes done.  Obviously no mention if skiing, but explicitly said "no weightlifting for 4 weeks".  Not skiing season for me, but if if it were I would ski after the 4 weeks.   Strain and increased blood pressure and eye pressure are the reasons.  Looking forward to ski season,  as I was having a hard time seeing buoys in low light/contrast conditions. 

• Baller

BUOYS COLOUR POST OPP. Slightly off topic and I apologise @Cnewbert for hijacking your thread. Might help someone. I went for the vari focal lenses which I believe work by splitting the light into the different focal lengths. The problem at low light levels with this type of lens is their may not be enough light after splitting for the retina to get the data to make a meaningful image for the brain. 

I ski in the blue light pre dawn and into the dark at night predominately. The south end of the course caused me a problem with sighting the greens 55's for my pull out. I could not see them in low light at that range. As I maintain the course I have put a very dark solid green on the left and a a light bright green on the right. One is always visible at dawn the other at dusk as the illumination direction changes. I just have to remember which and compensate for sighting when I can only see the right buoy.  It was a simple change which made skiing the course possible at these times when I had crew. The gate buoys and turn buoys have never been a problem, probably because of the closer range possibly colour? Simple solution which worked for me.