Slalom Skis for Heavier Guys

Pierre Umbah

• Baller

Hi All

Im currently on an old 69" D3 and its certainly time for a new ski. However D3 only goes to 68" and although ive heard of the surface area debate I need convincing. 

Or does anyone have a particular recommendation for a larger performance ski. 

Im 105kg (230lb) and ski into 32/35 at 34mph. 

Regards

Dave

• Baller

Definitely go for the Senate Pro. They make the Lithium in a 71" model but a quick check of the Radar web site says "coming soon". I've been at your weight and speeds and a 69" Senate Pro would be a really good choice. The 71" has a lot of support, carries speed easily and feels very stable, but if you are skiing that deep into shortline I think a 69" might be the ticket.

• Like 1

• Baller

I have always wondered how much time (if any) the ski makers spend on water testing of 69 inch or longer skis. Or, do they just scale up and assume they work just like the shorter skis?

Do they have 230 lb high level testers?

• Heterodox 1

• Administrators

@Zman I don't have firsthand knowledge but I've been around the Radar guys enough to know they didn't just widen the ski and put it to market.

• Like 1

• Baller

Just my personal experience,  but at 34mph and your weight and line length, go with any traditional width but longer, as you currently have. You may be just looking for some more giddyup.  Find a 69 if you can. Some of of this depends on bindings.  Hard shells or hybrids can accommodate a little bit wider skis. Rubber bindings work better with traditional  or narrower width skis. Try both the 68 and 69 Senate. The Vapor is available in 69. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@LK_skier Wow. Where did you get that? What else did you do to that setup? That DFT is off the charts. And @Horton I was not accusing Radar of something weird - I was more curious if there are heavy testing skiers. Or maybe you could put on weighted vests (would they float? hmmm...) and try things out.

I'm very interested in this topic. In my experience weight makes a huge difference when skiing. When I was in the mid 200s the 71" Senate Lithium was amazing. I could get up so much more easily and it was a Senate so I was able to progress. Made my first full pass on that ski. Now I'm moving pretty close to 200 lbs, on a 69" Senate and I love it. The less I weigh, the better I ski. 

Not sure what I'm trying to say...

• Like 2

• Baller
On 12/12/2023 at 5:18 PM, Pierre Umbah said:

Hi All

Im currently on an old 69" D3 and its certainly time for a new ski. However D3 only goes to 68" and although ive heard of the surface area debate I need convincing. 

Or does anyone have a particular recommendation for a larger performance ski. 

Im 105kg (230lb) and ski into 32/35 at 34mph. 

Regards

Dave

I'm 250lbs on a 69" Senate Pro, previously on a 71" Lithium.  Have skied into 32 at 34 MPH on the 69 and it can go much farther than my limited skills have the ability to take it.  The 71 is great too but I had a hard time shutting it down into the buoy if I was scrambling.

• Administrators

@UWSkier Connelly does make an extra long tail for the kid-size skis. The exact fin settings are not super critical at slow speeds. 

As for the crazy tail above I have more questions than answers....

• Like 1

• Baller
On 12/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, UWSkier said:

Not for big guys.  66" max won't cut it.

I don't know. Joe McCreary placed second at nationals awhile back on a 66" and he was 220-225. 

Steve Raphael won multiple championships on a wide ride. Not sure how big he was at the time but I am sure someone here can tell us.

• Like 1

• Baller

Do these weight recommendations make sense in light of the surface area of the skis?

2024 Vapor Pro:

68"376.54 SQ”7.061”32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPHCOURSE180-220 lbs / 82-100 kg

69.5"393.33 SQ”7.217”32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPHCOURSE200+ lbs / 90+ kg

Senate Pro:

67"379.42 SQ"7.16”34 MPHCOURSE160 – 200 lbs / 73 – 91 kg

69"402.41 SQ"7.37"34 MPHCOURSE 180 – 220 lbs / 82 – 100 kg

I'd like to try a Senate but I am right at 200 usually don't like being on that end of the weight range but the 69 seems pretty damn big compared to my 68" vapor.

• Baller

@Zman  Yes,  several my testers in Charleston are 200+.   So far I have yet to measure a ski wider then a Denali under foot.   I build a ski last summer that was officially too big for the 28off-38off 220lbers.   

If you need a point of reference, at 17 inches from the tail on the Large C95 measures in at 5.25" wide.  Compare that to what your riding now and I think you would be surprised.

• Like 1

• Baller
21 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Go 67.  I'm 250 on a 69 and it's plenty of ski.  I ski with a guy who's about your size on a 67 and he loves it.

I am trying to head to sub 190 this year, but damn it's hard for me to stay that light.  I was 223 on Jan 1 and now I'm just cracking sub 200 (which is lighter than usual for this time of year).  A 67 would sure give me some incentive though.

• Baller

I’m 6’3”, 230(ish). 69.5 Vapor for 34/32off or better; 69 Senate 34/28off and slower/longer. I have both and tried many others. Not too many options out there  for bigger guys, but these two are good options.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 12/19/2023 at 9:11 AM, UWSkier said:

Saw @JoelHowley promoting something similar this morning on the 'gram.  Wonder how one needs to adjust fin to compensate for all that extra tail.

That was something different to change from a 65 to 66.  I didn't adjust the fin or anything - just went and skied it - took a couple of sets to adjust - essentially it was like skiing on a new ski.  It does tend to make blowing the tail out easier - I tend to do it a bit in rough conditions on my offside.  Although I think I could adjust for that if I wanted too.