Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Slack Block?

TSki

• Baller

An advertisement for this product came up on my Instagram, the company is called Slack Bow and they have a product called Slack Block that looks like a small block you stand on that’s intended to simulate a slack line. Here’s a link:

https://www.slackbow.com/products

I’m really surprised I haven’t heard of this before, particularly within the water ski community. Has anyone used one and, if so, would you say it’s a good balance trainer, particularly for skiing? And relative to other trainers like an Indo Board? It certainly seems like it would be a good training aid for water skiing.

• Baller_

If I recall correctly @Gloersen mentioned this item on this forum 2 years ago.   I bought one and became proficient standing on it for a minute or so on alternate feet.   As advertised, it work muscles in your legs and core to maintain balance.

However, like most long term skiers one of my hips is over-used and the Slack Block was uncomfortable when on my left foot .

So I converted mine to a two foot exercise which simulates being on a slalom ski and provides a new range of balance movements compared to the original.  It adds front and back weight transfer motion at the same time as maintaining your left right balance.  The foam is velcroed to the block, so moving it from the original block to the the 2 foot block was simple.

The best thing about it is its availability in your home.  Mine stands up in the corner of our kitchen, so I can do the balance activity while coffee maker is brewing every morning and while watching the morning news on TV. The wider back end is to match my rotated rear foot binding on my ski.  The rotation helps with the bad hip on this block as it does on the ski.

I recommend the original product with or without the modification. 

image.jpeg

Edited by swbca

• Baller

I too have one, I saw a YouTube video about balance and this was one thing the presenter spoke about. My experience is over a two month period. 

The Slackblock work out is 2 minutes for each foot in three positions. Foot straight forward, foot offset (ball of foot in middle with heel hanging off the side, last is ball of foot 90 degrees to block. So far I have not been able to go the 12 minutes with out a foot touch or hand touch. They say touching does not void your learning, some pick it up faster than others.

The Slackblock comes in three models based on weight, there are five round cuts in the foam that can be removed to reduce stability when you feel it is too easy.

Before the Slackblock I stood on one foot while holding the opposite foot for a minute then switched to other leg for a total of 10 minutes. The Slackblock is much more difficult.   

I certainly feel my balance has improved and I continue to do it daily.