Improvement suggestions?

• Baller

Haven't videoed myself this summer but did get this on 18th Feb, just a few days before getting Covid for first time. Covid has sucked bigtime (my wife's first time too and she ended up in hospital) however being home rather than work it has finally given me a chance to get a skiing video online. 

I'd welcome any technique suggestions. Speed was 49kph. 18.25m. Free skiing and not course as there was another boat using it.

• Like 1

• Baller
4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I'd say to have your driver maintain a consistent speed would be a good starting point.  :classic_tongue:

Initially when reading this I thought "What!!!!!! I've just spent >US$1000 upgrading the paddlewheel Digitalpro PerfectPass to Stargazer 3 event and you're saying its speed isn't accurate enough.............." but then, doh, remembered I edited the video to include some 1/4, 1/2 and 2x speed. I'll repost the real speed video 🙂

Real speed this time https://gopro.com/v/DkEkk0r9yeaqW

• Haha 2

• Baller

@03RLXi Looks like a beautiful site to ski. What's the boat speed? How do you typically do when in the course?

Your stance looks squatted, back foot heavy. A suggestion would be to listen to one of the Spraymakers Podcast gates episode.

1)When you're first on the ski stand up straighter and try to move more weight onto your front foot.

2)Put more energy into your move out for the gate so you actually glide faster than the boat and keep moving up. That feels like a left and forward lean

3)Turn in when your speed matches the boat. This is a lean right and forward.

4)Hold stance and angle through wakes and repeat.

Do all this while keeping amore upright stance and more weight on your front foot. I mentioned the Spraymakers podcast because they explain the phases and feelings much better.

Have you ever tried free-skiing at 28off? You may find improved ability to maintain a more aligned stance if not dealing with the wake bump.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

That site is beautiful!

Since you are free skiing I think a shorter rope might help you progress. Maybe 28 off. That will make you feel a lot more acceleration and get out of your comfort zone. 

As with most skiers at your level, you have more intensity before the wake than right behind the boat. You need to not diminish your connection with the boat until right after you pass the prop wash (centerline).

Your stance is a little back but not terrible. I advocate equal weight on both feet and equal knee bend. If your front knee is semi straight then your back knee has to do the same. Unequal knee bend almost always means you are dragging your ass. Try not to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
On 3/2/2024 at 6:25 AM, Fam-man said:

@03RLXi Looks like a beautiful site to ski. What's the boat speed? How do you typically do when in the course?

Have you ever tried free-skiing at 28off? You may find improved ability to maintain a more aligned stance if not dealing with the wake bump.

Boat speed is 49kph. That's my normal free ski speed. I do occassionally try 52kph. Given flat water I can run course fairly consistently at 46, and sometime at 49. Have never tried skiing shorter than 18.25m. I'll certainly give it a try. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:26 AM, Horton said:

As with most skiers at your level, you have more intensity before the wake than right behind the boat. You need to not diminish your connection with the boat until right after you pass the prop wash (centerline).

I'm aware of this however it feels like if I hold the edge longer I get excessive speed and width after second wake. I will give it a try though! Wake fear always used to hold me back from attacking wake but since getting the LXi that's become a thing of the past 🙂 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:28 PM, jjackkrash said:

Better yet, listen to all of them, over and over again.  🙂

I'm doing that. Listening is easy. Implementing is hard! LOL

• Baller

Definitely shorten the rope. I recommend 32 off for best free skiing. An older article from Regina noted that mathematically -32 was the optimal length for best pendulum effect etc. You'll find it much easier to accelerate, better wakes, etc. Suggest also 52k. It will feel fast to you  but you'll quickly adapt. Get wide. Biggest problem with free skiing is being narrow. As noted above, speed is your friend. Need to know how to create it, and lose it . Go ski. Once you get a rhythm down at -32 free skiing you'll love it. Then step into the course at 18.25 and slow the boat down a bit to work in timing. Go ski        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
54 minutes ago, twhisper said:

My take... the shorter the rope and the faster the boat speed the more bad habits you are going to accumulate. Learn to generate your own speed instead of relying on the boat or rope. The biggest hurdle in improving skiing is having to break bad habits. Build your foundation with proper body position, and you will go a long way.

@twhisper Thank you! I've resisted going faster and shorter as I know my stance isn't solid yet. Because of that, and because of some fear 😉 I wrote about it in this post. It even states "get the basics right first as if I didn’t, and if I tried faster, I’d hurt myself."  I feel like I've improved a lot in last couple of years due to listening to the podcast, reading this website, and by working on body position and not bouys. 3 years ago I skied like a half folded pocketknife!   

I will give 52kph and 14.25m a go to see what's being talked about as I've improved a lot since I last tried 52kp[h. But if my body position is at all compromised I'll immediately stop and revert to 46 or 49kph and 18.25m  

• Like 2

• Elite Skier
4 hours ago, 03RLXi said:

@twhisper Thank you! I've resisted going faster and shorter as I know my stance isn't solid yet. Because of that, and because of some fear 😉 I wrote about it in this post. It even states "get the basics right first as if I didn’t, and if I tried faster, I’d hurt myself."  I feel like I've improved a lot in last couple of years due to listening to the podcast, reading this website, and by working on body position and not bouys. 3 years ago I skied like a half folded pocketknife!   

I will give 52kph and 14.25m a go to see what's being talked about as I've improved a lot since I last tried 52kp[h. But if my body position is at all compromised I'll immediately stop and revert to 46 or 49kph and 18.25m  

There's a lot of different approaches that can all be successful as long as the priority is making the position as close to ideal as possible. Experiment with things, but be relentless about perfecting your position.

• Like 4

• Baller

@03RLXi TRY keeping your direction going out a little bit longer with the rope nice and close to body with arms straight.   You want to feel a release from the boat just a bit further wide on each side which will allow you to get that good body position without the rope pulling you back to centerline so soon.  Your position crossing the wakes is pretty good, and i think the turns will be more relaxed and smooth with better body position from a wider point. Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

• Baller

Body position (sitting too much) -- get your hips between your shoulders and your front heel. 
Giving up width by not maintaining contact with the rope enough after the spray line. 

But others already said those things. 

Go out and watch this video. Key in on the speed you are skiing most. Play both videos side-by-side. Watch where Horton is in the course compared to you and look at his body position and how strong his rope control is. You'll probably see a difference in where you see him accelerate (and how fast). Also, watch how he continues his outbound swing after the spray line without going down course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_
On 3/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, twhisper said:

My take... the shorter the rope and the faster the boat speed the more bad habits you are going to accumulate. Learn to generate your own speed instead of relying on the boat or rope. The biggest hurdle in improving skiing is having to break bad habits. Build your foundation with proper body position, and you will go a long way.

as Andy always said, if your going to free ski you should use the whole rope, get used to making your own speed to create your width, and learn to control the rope. 

• Like 4

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾