Distal bicep tendon tear

• Baller

Mostly tore my distal bicep tendon last summer, holding on to a slack yank trying to get through the pass, like we all do (thought it was a muscle strain/tear at the time and wrapped a neoprene brace around it to get me through the season).

Finished the tear off this winter ski racing and subsequently had surgery in February. Great surgery, recovery has been ahead of schedule, lots of PT, but my doc wants me to wait until August to start skiing (actually, he doesn't want me skiing at all).

I bought a Goode Power Vest this week with the hopes of free skiing and lengthening the straps as I build strength throughout the season. Might even start running the course and compete in a few tournaments depending on how well my bicep responds. 

Just wondering if there are any of you who have done the same and your thoughts on using the power vest.

Cheers!

• Baller

First question is what is your age? Youth heals faster than those with more years.

However, even in the best situation healing takes time and there is no replacement for time. Your doctor has taken your specific situation into account and I am going to bet that your provider knows more than you or I about your procedure, healing time, failure rates for the procedure, failures for those that do not get and follow through with PT. Now, as you are on this site I am going to guess that you are an adrenaline junkie like the rest of us. And that means YOU DO NOT know how to just go out and have a good time and take it easy. Your addiction to adrenaline needs to be found in another way until your provider fully releases you to ski. 

This allows you to ski another day. Returning to rapidly to skiing and re-injuring yourself could terminate you from skiing for ever. Do not be too anxious to cause planned failure. I have not had the same injury you have but I have had many injuries and had to sit out seasons from many sports. I am also not one to follow all advice from medical providers including my own. You can still drive the boat to be involved and or teach others. But running, bike riding, and the gym may be your wisest choice until next snow skiing season then return to the water in the following summer.

• Baller

been through it on both arms in 04 and then other in 13.

what method of repair was used... a lot of people  have done this..

@jeidmann you should get back to better than before in your  skiing..

• Baller

Sounds very familiar. Right shoulder in 03 age 53 and left in 10 age 60. Off the water for six months fully back to normal 1 year. Still skiing no problem at 73. Listen to your doctor and do you PT.

Ernie Schlager

• Administrators

I think it is different for everyone.

I was a hot mess post-op. It hurt like hell. The first few weeks were far worse than when I had my ACL done.

On the other hand my buddy was back to work in a few days with the same surgery.

• Baller

So to answer all of your questions...I'm a 61 year old adrenaline junkie who skis into 35 off and I"m one pass short of qualifying for the nationals which would be my first time ever. At my age I'm not sure how many seasons I have left and would like to ski this season if at all possible. I'd even change my grip if needed, I've always had the wrong grip for LFF (right palm down) and the Doc says a hand down grip puts more stress on my bicep tendon. I was in a movable brace for 6 weeks but Doc said I didn't need to wear it when I was home after two weeks so I chose to wear a cryo sleeve most of the time which accelerated the reduction in swelling/inflammation.

My surgery was a distal bicep repair utilizing the anthrax tension slide:

I've had an ACL tear, a meniscus tear, and full rotator cuff tears in both shoulders along with AC joint grade 3 and 5 in my shoulders.

All this to say, I've been through a few rehabs. The doctors are always cautious and conservative in my opinion and have always been surprised how fast I heal because I'm diligent in my PT. My Physical therapist couldn't believe I had full rom in just a few weeks. Not bragging, I just take a comprehensive approach because, as an Airline Pilot, when I'm rehabbing I'm not working.

The rotator cuffs were a tough recovery but the ACL (harvested hamstring) was the worst and the longest. By comparison this has been pretty mild.

• Baller
On 5/13/2024 at 2:15 PM, jeidmann said:

I've always had the wrong grip for LFF (right palm down) and the Doc says a hand down grip puts more stress on my bicep tendon.

Waterskiing is very stressful on the biceps- out of the turn biceps get extremely loaded and that stress will only increase as you accelerate across the wake and extend your arms straighter.

The biceps are at long muscle lengths through wake crossing which is where the load is highest (from forces) and is also where bicep is most compromised (from positioning). 
Resistance training with low reps, significant load and full range of motion with a particular emphasis on the longest muscle length where the arm is straight.