2023 Prostar tracking Vs 2018

bhs

• Baller

Could use some help  getting a 2023 Prostar to track better. Coming off a 2018 Prostar and the 2023 seems loose and not as locked in as the 2018. Hard to tell but the nose seems to ride slightly higher but I have no way of really knowing for sure. Also, there is a good amount of pull to the right which seems similar to the 2018.

• Administrators

@bhs

based on the limited amount of information you provided, it sounds like the rudder needs to be adjusted on the newer boat. it is now just a that screw to change a steering load. 

The 23 also should ride even more nose down than the 18. seems like there's something else going on like maybe there's some extra ballast in one of the boats or something

• Like 1

• Baller

Sorry about the limited info. It’s hard to describe. It’s almost like driving a worn out truck with a loose front end that wont drive straight down the road. It’s a different feel compared to the 2018.

Can you ever have too much load on the steering wheel? If you let go of the wheel it pulls hard right similar to other boats I have driven.

I appreciate the feedback.

• Administrators

personally, I like to set up boats as neutral as possible. I don't like a lot of steering load. a lot of elite drivers do like a lot of steering load. so it's personal preference. you can just take an allen key and adjust the rudder on a 2021 or later ProStar. hopefully that's what you're feeling

• Baller_

Are the two boats setup the same (nose high comment)?  Items to think about which rebalance weight would include front bow cover, rear seats, amount of fuel, miscellaneous stuff in back, different rear platform.  Once that is confirmed and same for both, from the sounds of it you might dig in to looking for any looseness in the steering system & rudder (looseness feeling comment).  Might take two people to grab wheel and rudder to confirm.

• Baller

I would say that's not normal. The 2022s on (?) track better than the 2014-2021 (I don't remember the exact year they tweaked it a bit underneath)
*is it level?

*most modern boats (and drivers) run way less rudder load than the old days

• Baller

I don't know if it is still the same on the 2023 as it is on my 2017. My 17 has two hole options on the rudder arm for the steering cable attachment. The factory hole setting on mine is the hole furthest from the rudder shaft. The second hole on the rudder arm, slightly closer to the rudder shaft, will give you quicker steering output. That may make it easier to hold a line but CAUTION. DON'T reverse in full rudder lock. The rudder can over center on you and then it's bang, bang prop! I preferred the improved steering input reaction of the closer hole setting but didn't want to chance another prop replacement so it went back to the factory setting. Good luck finding the issue!

IMG_6911.jpeg

• Baller

I appreciate all the replies. Checked everything as suggested and turns out 100lbs in the bow of the boat did the trick.

• Like 1