How many skis have you tried this season

Horton

I was running the 67s side by side with the same set ups. (stock fin). I ended up liking the stiffer ski. Last weekend I added the 106 carbon Fin. WOW is all I can say. If you are riding the Monza, you have to try one of Hortons 106 blades. I liked it on my 06, but with the stiffer ski, it really carries from the wake out to the ball nice.  

Those 106 carbon blades are the key to more balls on the Monza. I need one for my wifes ski. I may fire up my nationals desire if you keep ribbing me. If I have to, I will come out and practice for a week just to get used to that strange water in California, and then kick you around. If I do go to nats, its only to get some fish tacos and a Length Wise Ale.

Just skiing on my Monza for now.  I ordered a new D3 Nomad several weeks ago and it hasn't shipped yet.  Anyone else waiting for a Nomad?

• Baller

Well I went against convential wisdom tried a different ski (Monza) of the season before completing the course.

It was just too pretty sitting there all by itself.

• Baller

I'm on the '06...not sure if there is any difference between the years. 

I was a little shaky at first...plopped over on a couple of turns...it changes edge much more quickly / easily than my Evidence...needed a couple of passes of just wake crossings to get the feel of it.

It is very fast...so the fun factor increases...but like a new set of golf clubs, it doesn't solve any of my technique issues...even though I could consistently pick up an extra ball or two...if anything, my technique was a little worse in the 3 sets I used it b/c of the decreased reaction time.

I think the ski leaves the water on my wake crossing more than my Evidence...probably due to bad technique.

I haven't skied on too many different skis...so I thought this was as good as any to make a change to...plus my ski buddy kept tempting me, "if you're going to a racetrack, you might as well drive the fastest car there."

I finally stopped trying to point out the fallacies of his analogy...and that my progress isn't impeded by technology...and just give it a spin.

Now I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go back.

• Baller

Well...I skied on it some more tonight and completed the course for the first time ever...15off at 28.6mph.

It was a no doubter...as soon as I completed the turn at each ball...I said to myself, "I've got this next one".

Now how much of that is the ski, and how much of that is my technique finally coming together after running 1-2 sets a day 3-5x a week?

Anthony

MS

06 Monza 68"

74 - 112.5 - 145 - 178 (flex#'s)

Bindings in ceter holes front & back (Animals) 29 3/4" front

Fin

Depth 2.535

Length 6.850

DFT .750

I got these #'s from Chet and they seem to work well with this ski.

My 05 Monza 68"

Fin set at

Depth 2.523

Length 6.823

DFT .708

• Administrators
I really have used the MS #s and they make that ski work pretty darn will. Oddly DFT seems extra critical on the Monza.

The bandaid is to not pull long to your off side ball. You must get on your edge change and back side the ball. If you run long and try to stick it around the ball on your off side, it has been my experience that you will hook up and the ski will go flat or it will wheelie up on you. But if you aim it to finish the turn on the back side of the ball, the ski will come around fine.    

• Baller

Good stuff MS...digressed this week. PB for this 53 yr old is 22/34 while I was down at Sunset Ranch south of Sac a few weeks ago. Been waiting for a Goode to show up and have been having to use alot of different skis since my Nomad Rc got damaged in flight. Will be on a 07' 67" Connelly F1 this week while waiting on the 160 amp Goode to show. Any set up suggestions? Front Animal large (distance) on the F1? Stock fin settings? 158-164lbs. 5'10 3/4".

• Baller
front binding 29  1/8 in, rear 17 in.  Start with stock fin settings (6.77 flat, 2.50, .78 flat)  You may need to move fin back a bit and take a bit of length out.  Ride it stock a few sets first.  Binding placement is very important.

• Baller

I am running an old JOBE Open Class HPT 67" with the front binding set at 30 3/8 ths from the the tail. Ski rocks. Sking wide and early. Fixed fin no adjustability. Fin has stop sign shaped holes in it. Bought the ski on ebay for like 10 dollars. I have an HO Phantom binding with rear toe. Thought ya'll would get a kick out of this highly technical ski. But, the truth is, it works for me real well in the course at 34 mph. I think the reason it works so well is because I weigh 225 lbs. and the ski has more surface area than all the new high end skis. Now if I weighed 180lbs. I probably should be on a ski like the rest of you guys are riding. Here's to skiing.

Started the season on a 2005 Sixam 1.0. That ski broke a couple of weeks ago. Switched back to the F1. Now have a Sixam SS that O'Brien sent as a replacement for the 1.0! I don't have any sets on it yet. We just received about 8 inches of rain. The river is a complete wreck and had to cut the course out. We won't be able to get back out for at least another week.

Horton,

I am sure he was happy. He ought to give me the 250 I am out as a result of the HO hole pattern and the #1 ranking I gave the 98 at the test. At least a 12 pack of Shiner.

LKB,

Wim Decree is 5''7 or so and about 150 and he is on a 67 Radar. Trent F is 6ft somthing and 190 and he is on a 66, so who knows. But I would go with the 66 if I was you.