Fischer Info

• Baller

I'm bringing some information over from the old forum and providing some insight now that I've spent a couple of months on the ski:

My 68" Yellow's flex numbers are:

I began with the following fin settings (using jaws)
6.994 / 2.499 / .682 - 9 deg wing
Powershells set @ 29.5"
These are stock numbers per Fischer

I've moved the bindings forward to 29.75" - better at 28 off but not for 32 and beyond.   29.5" is much further back than any Goode (or other ski) I've skied. Next, I'll go to 8 deg of wing (feels somewhat better).  Replaced the flimsy original wing w/ a Goode wing which is a bit larger.  The 8 deg of wing feels about right.

Jodi's recommended setting for Yellow - using tips
6.998 / 2.455 / .640 - 9 deg wing

Update:  I overheard an interesting conversation between a close friend and a professional skier who is sponsored by a well-known ski manufacturer.  He stated that his sponsor acquired a Fischer for research purposes and determined it had the most consistent torsional flex of any ski they had seen.  Although I'm not an engineer or carbon fiber expert, the fit and finish of the ski is second to none and the consistency of the turns on both sides would make me believe that Fischer is doing something different (better) than anyone else.  This just confirmed my belief in the product.  When asked by friends to describe the ski I state that it may not be the fastest ski I've ridden (but VERY close), the best turning (could be), the most stable (not quite), the best carry-out (real close), the most predictable (but may be), but it does all of these things REALLY well and does nothing stupid!  It is as quick as the 9800, turns as well as any D3 I've ridden, about as stable as the 9800/D3 but carry's out much better than the Nomad.  The ski always feels in control whether I am or not - it's always with me in the course.  I've been searching for years for a ski that would replace my 9500 (speed yet better turning capabilities).  I think this ski fits the bill entirely. 

Another friend was at Chet Raley's for a week recently and was told by one of the pro's who rides another brand to "get a Fischer - you won't be sorry".  The brand is getting strong support among skiers everywhere even those who are paid to ski on another brand. 

• Baller

The problem is that you can't find it  anywhere. No one seems to have any stock and no one seems to know anything about the future.

I guess it is ironic, a new company entered the business with a real good product addressing the needs of the modern era skier and know they don't want to produce anymore? or what?

beats me, if anyone knows more let us all know. 

• Administrators

AK,

I do not know how this happened but the guys in the automotive division of Fischer Composite developed the ski. These guys build Carbon Fiber bits for Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc.  So with technology that is at a level beyond the water ski industry they built a stick that seems to work pretty darn well. What the Fischer guys did not have is a good way to distribute the skis. Their whole business was “Business to Business” not consumer.

The solution is to allow Jodi Fischer (no “C”) to take over all the distribution. I think that all the skis will come directly from Jodi and that there will not be any shops or mail order dealers (like Goode does). I am not privy to any internal details but I assume that Jodi is scrambling to set up customer service.

I do know that skis are shipping and if you send an email to info@fisherwaterskis.com  someone will get back to you.

http://www.fisherwaterskis.com/

• Baller

saw skis arrive and being shipped. Just came from Jodi's. He was extremely busy as Nicola his wife had damaged her knee on the ski jump the prior week and went in for surgery friday. The next major shipment is in July per Jodi. Looks like pre-paying for one is the way to go if you want to guarantee one from the July shipment. Might be a stragler or two from this current shipment available. I watched one guy give up his 68 yellow that just arrived opting to wait for a 66 orange. The 68 yellow was gone immediately. Michelle Simpson was on a 66 yellow.  Saw a couple skiers at much higher levels than I jumping back on yellows after trying orange. I skied a 66 yellow my last set before leaving. Did not get the impression or hear any rumors that Fisher Skis was not going to be around.

• Baller

JD-

I just received my 68 yelow today (it's been ordered since early march).  The factory fin settings that came with my ski paperwork are different than what you quoted above.  The factory settings say 6.872, 0.686, and 2.449 with 9 deg wing.  It does not say to whether to use jaws vs tips, but I assume it is tips for consistencys sake.

What settings are you using now, and did you keep your bindings at 29.75 or move them back to 29.5?  Jodi told me 29.75 was recommended.

My calipers are at my lake an hour away, and  won't be back down there until Thursday, so I cant verify right now how the fin was set out of the box.  Was yours close to factory settings?

Can't wait to get on the new stick!

• Baller

Marco:

The length setting in the book is using jaws (Goode method).  Schnitz worked w/ Fischer originally on the design and set up.  That would explain why the numbers are the same as stock Goode numbers.  The conversion to tips is 6.994.  Those numbers work very well.  My bindings were at 29.75 while I was getting used to the ski and running 28's.  Now that I've begun cutting the rope, I've moved back to 29.5".  I may split the difference to see what impact that makes.  I use Powershells and can move the bindings 1/16th of an inch per movement.  If you are using the inserts, they are 3/8" apart.

• Baller

JD

Thanks for the info.  I'll leave it stock for now and probably go for 29.5 on the binders.  I've been working at 32 and 35 this spring, so it sounds like 29.5 is the number.

Are you running the stock fin?  It looks a little on the thin side, as does the wing.  Have you tried it with a Carbon, or will it even fit in the slot?

• Baller

John's carbon fins are too thick to fit thru the ski - as are most others.  I understand that the thin fin and its accompanying flex were part of the entire design process.  Therefore, I would not be too concerned.  I did replace the stock wing w/ a Goode wing and put it at 8 degrees.  Has worked well so far.

• Baller

The individual that widened the slot is a skiing buddy of mine at Okeeheelee. He used sandpapar folded over and just went back and forth to open the slot. Doesn't sound too dangerous to me. He also had the fin block milled .012 wider so it would accept all his fins (including his carbon fins). That probably took more guts, but he had a professional machinist do the work.

As for finding the skis, Jodi should have stock and more coming. I believe Hotwater.cc still has some stock, but have not checked since I took delivery of my Yellow from them. Once stock is exhausted from them (and anyone else except Jodi), all skis will come exclusively from Jodi.

Roger

• Baller

Had a conversation with a friend who went to Jodi's to demo a Fisher ski.  Jodi spent the entire time of the phone and chose not to provide any input.  My friend decided to do business elsewhere. 

I don't know Jodi personally and the conversations I've had with him have been informative but I feel Fischer is falling into the same trap as some other ski companies.  Just because someone is a great athlete (skier) does not make them a good representative or salesperson for your company.  What Fischer needs is someone dedicated to moving their product not increasing their personal buoy count.  Again, I don't fault Jodi for this - I fault Fischer for not distributing their skis thru established channels that would make their product more accessable and marketable.  Ultimately, this will determine their success or failure in the marketplace.

• Baller
I just heard from a good friend who is getting into 41 @ 36 on a 68 Yellow.  He said to go deep with the fin.  He is at 2.530, (length 6.820, dtf 7.00), and says it is rippin.  Has anyone tried that deep at 34mph?  I won't be at the lake until Friday, but I'll give it a try then.

• Baller

Try the fin deep!  Yesterday I went out at 6.927, 2.530, 0.690, and it felt like a Ferrari!  Definately skied better than the stock settings.  It was over turning at 2.449, so the deeper fin fixed that and made it hold awesome behind the boat!  Try it, you'll like it.

• Baller
I just noticed a typo in the settings of my friend who gets into 41 @ 36 mph.  The length should have read 6.9820.  My Bad.

• Baller
I've had my yellow now for 3 weeks, and am starting to get it dialed.  I was initially having trouble with tip rise on my offside, but after some tweaking, it is sking great.  It is fast through the turn (compared to my old X5), so I have to be careful not to over turn and bury the tip.  It is really user friendly for a fast ski, and seems to me to have a fairly large platform, so even if you are not exactly "on it", it still skis well and doesn't punish you for minor mistakes.  I haven't skied on the Monza, so I can't compare to the "fin finicky" attributes between the two, but I would not consider the Fish to be overly finicky with regards to set up.

• Administrators

Can I get an update from guys with Fishers . . .  Fin numbers that work and how measured?

Also JD on your post a page ago how did you get those DFTs?

I will pick up my Orange in about an hour and ski on it tomarrow if the real job does not eat me alive.

• Baller

My 68 yellow came out of the box @ 6.969 tips, 2.471, .686 stem.  As I said previously, I had problems with my tip coming up on the offside.  After doing some tweaking, and talking to Jason Parades, who is now on a Yellow as well, he suggested 6.9820 tips, 2.538, and 0.700 dft stem.  He loves it there, but I was having trouble with it biting at the finish, especially on my on side.  I took some tip out and now love the way it skis.  Almost got a PB on it on Saturday.  I am now at 6.928, 2.535, 0.695.  It works for me.  The deeper fin worked well.  Binders are at 29.75.

JTH-Have fun on the new Orange.  Im looking forward to your report.

• Baller

I'm on a 68" Yellow, fin set to stock (6.998 tips, 2.454, .645 stem).

Bindings: Obrien BIO front (30.00"), Wiley HO pattern rear.

Tied my PB (2@38) not long after getting it. Previous ski was Goode 9400.

• Administrators
took it to the lake and forgot that my Wileys do not fit fisher without drilling the plate  . . . . . rode the SS. Got out the trusty KD bindings when I got home . . .  will try it Friday.

• Administrators

Hey Ward Dawgiee Dawg,

My notes from the test say you rode the Fish Stick at  6.959 jaws 2.50000 and .626 Stem. The lenght can not be with jaws can it? Are those the "Jones Numbers"? I show Tyler with the same #s but lenght with tips. Help me out dude.

• Administrators

Gosh. I just do not know how I feel about the Fish Stick. I tried it with the Jones # and the stock #s. Every time I go out on the Fish I run about as good as I ever ski. 4 @ 38 is my score and I get 4 @ 38 about every time I ride the Fish. On the Fish my gates are bad, am going way to hard and out of control but always get to my expected high score.  I ran a 36.5 off (half way between 35 & 38) yesterday and when I got done the boat crew looked like they had witnessed the death of ten thousand puppies. I run the balls but wow is it funky.

I feel like I am much more at home on the Sixam SS. Hell I don’t know. The Fisher is a really remarkable ski but is also a bit of an enigma to me. Will ride the SS this week and see how it goes.

• Baller

I had the opportunity to ride a yellow Fischer a couple of times last fall. It was ok but I can´t say that I was overwhelmed. I didn´t reach the same score as with my old faithful. The Fish had factory settings and I didn´t have the time to mess with settings. My impression was that it didn´t carried out as well as my Sixam and that it was a little bit more unstable. Maybe some tweaking would have solved that. From what I read here and peoples talk the SS might be my next ski.

Tsixam

• Administrators
I really liked the Fisher but the SS makes me feel more at home. I ran about the same balls on both skis. What ski is better? Heck I am not sure there is a "better". I guess the Fisher is for sale but if hate to part with it. It is one hell of a ski.

• Baller

lkb,

I'm still lovin the Fish!  It is really fun to ride.  It is fast, has awesome carrryout, is quick through the turn, not to mention very predictable.  Although it didn't magically give me the 3 extra bouys I was hoping for (LOL), I did add 1/2 bouy.  At 38, progress is much less the ski and way more the skier, so the Fish didn't cure any of my bad habits.

Coming by a Fisher might be tough right now.  The word I just got was that production is way down, demand is up, and the next shipment to Jodi is fewer skis than he expected, and they are all spoken for.  If you choose to go for a Fish, either try to find a used one (good luck), or call Jodi now and order one so you will have it next spring.  His # is 407-970-5941.  I know Horton had one for sale earlier this summer, but I would guess it sold fast  JTH???

Keep in mind that any high end ski is going to cost at least $900 these days, so the question is "is the Fish worth an extra $400?"  For me, it definately was!

Marco

• Baller

Marco, glad to hear it's still working for you. I had a used yellow staked out but it has apparently been sold today. I know of a used orange. Do you think it would be too stiff for me at 155 lbs and 34 mph?

thanks-lkb

• Baller

lkb

I have never skied on the orange, but my initial thoughts are that it would be too stiff.  Jodi told me that the orange is suited for 38 off and beyond skiers at 36mph.  Jason Parades was on the Orange, but liked the Yellow better, and has been rippin on it, with top 5 finishes in his last 4 or 5 tournaments.  He said the Orange was too stiff for him, and he gets into 41 @ 36.

If you have the opportunity, demo the Orange, just to be sure.  Who knows, you might find you like it.  If you can't demo it, I'd continue to look for a Yellow.

Good Luck

• Baller

lkb, I'll send you an email also, but here is the info you asked for:

It is a 66" Yellow, skied on about a month in like new condition and comes with all the hardware and sleeve that came with it.

Price is $1000.00

If you have followed the Fischer threads on here, this is the ski my friend bought when I got mine (we bought them together to save on shipping). He has had the fin clamp milled .0012 so that it will accomidate any fin (this was done so he could use his Carbon Fin).

• Baller

He's on a 9500 Goode. He's tried a few skies the last year and a half including the 9700 and the Fish. He didn't ski any more bouys, so sent the 9700 back and is selling the Fish. His first ride on the Fish, he went straight up to 2@39 with good times, so not that he couldn't ride it...